Poll: Which House System Format do you prefer?

Which House System Format do you prefer?

• Whole Sign

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • Equal House

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Quadrant (Placidus;Regiomantus;Koch;Porphyry;Campanella;Alcabitius)

Votes: 27 56.3%
  • Multiple Formats

Votes: 8 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

astro_novice

Actually, I just realized 2 things.

1. All the planets including Sun's position in the sky should be accurate as they are based upon the time that I've entered at astro.com (since the planets do move at varying different speeds when I do transits/progressions at the site). I should only adjust for the AC & house positions using the new time, but still keep the planets at the same sign/degrees.

2. S means sundial time is slower than local time. Instead of 9:03am which is ahead (faster) than 9:00am, it should be 8:57am for sundial time.

astro_novice

I've attached a gif file showing my excel table for the 12 compared house systems for the 5 people. You will need to zoom in to read the text.

I've put a lot of comments, based on my own confidence about the astrological positions. Adding the consideration of local apparent time (LAT), it is even more interesting.

The results are the same again for House Systems:
1. Placidus
2. Polich-Page (or topo-centric) which gave the same house cusps in all 5 people as in Placidus
3. Regiomontanus (preferred by William Lilly)

4. Campanus (had at least 1 high confidence wrong, and 1 potential wrong which cannot be determined at the current age of the native).
5. Porphyry (had at least 2 high confidence wrongs, or 3 wrongs without LAT adjustment)
6. Koch had 3 wrongs (and I didn't check the last person).
7. Equal house had 4 wrongs (and I didn't check the last person).
(the rest of the 12 houses, please see .gif file)

I think I got my preference order wrong in the previous post between Porphyry and Campanus.

Interestingly, once you have LAT adjustments to all 5 people, Placidus, Polich-Page, and Regiomontanus ALL agree with each other.

Nevertheless, the first person still may have the wrong Jupiter position (see comment in blue) with an error of about 1 degree and 40 minutes (if using LAT), which is probably about 6 minutes in actual time.

A birth-time error of this magnitude is probably conceivable. Or just maybe I will become a politician one day to be able to really extend my help to more people, :) (I've been contemplating on this for a year, but most likely it won't come true due to a big career change).

The house cusps between Placidus & Polich-Page are almost exactly the same. But the Regiomontanus differs by about 1 to 2 degree. There should be some charts of some people that would make a difference between the 3 house systems.

Just for reference, all 5 people were born at about 25 to 35 N in latitude. Obviously, all the quadrant systems have serious problems near the two poles of Earth. I don't know the answer to that, but I think those should be very interesting case studies.

Hope that more people could provide more data points, but these above are just my 2 cents.

By the way, I would also guess that LAT adjustment value probably should be for GMT which is right at the middle as the longitude=0 degree (instead of -180/180 degree as I've guessed previously).

Attachments

• House_System_Study.jpg
    House_System_Study.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 40

dr. farr

Very excellent work! Thank you! Relative to longitude, the daily Sun data table can be applied to any longitude, simply by taking the given local time and adding or subtracting the minutes given in the table. In practical work (when I do in fact make an LAT correction) I only take + or - 3 minutes (or more) into account, ignoring birth time adjustments if the LAT varies by less than 3 minutes (that's because I lean toward the more diffuse and symbolic in astrology, which is perhaps why I love the whole sign method!)

You mention quadrant system problems at the higher (and lower latitudes): Placidus especially is liable here; whole sign has withstood the challenge of high latitudes best of all house format systems (see, I think, on skyscript relative to a study on different house systems in the higher latitudes; if not on skyscript, google "house systems in polar regions", or words to that effect for the study I mentioned)

Thanks again for you investigations!

dr. farr

This Poll is now closed.

Many thanks to all the AW members who voted, and to all who took the time to post comments on this thread.

Sincerely,
Richard L. Farr

dhundhun

This is my inputs on Western Astrology House System:
========================================

Most recent system is Krusinski system, also known as Amphora/Pisa system. This was independently discovered by a Czech and a pole. I never used it.

American and German researchers use Koch, supposed to be improvement on Placidus for cusps. I find progression of cusps (yes I analyze progression of house cusps also in addition to angles) convincing in Koch.

Placidus as we know is most popular.

Regiomontanus I consider most suitable for Horary.

For higher latitudes, I use Meridian

=====

First attempt in seeing any chart professionally is rectification, for which progression is mostly needed in Western Astrology, I don't consider usefulness of whole or equal system, until derivative charts are required.

=====

Astrology could be accurate, but most of the cases, information is fuzzy. In terms of hours, morning, afternoon, evening, night, day of week. Some times people may just say I am 50 years old - tell me something.

The moment, it is drifted by few minutes, already it lost focus of house, so you use any house, it does not matter.

Noon charts are house less Astrology.

To be successful in art of chart analysis and telling future, understanding of fuzzy charts have same priority as accurate charts.

This is my inputs on Ancient Vedic Astrology House System (I use them):
======================================================

1. It is one sign = one house system, so it is tolerant to errors in timing unless it is on boundary of sign
2. Rectification is achieved through Dasa System or derivative charts such as Navamansa. Without rectification, analysis and prediction is fuzzy.
3. However, even if time accuracy is not there, transit analysis can be done with respect to Moon. Vedic astrology is very rich in predictions with respect to Moon, even if Ascendant is not known.

Last edited: