Sun vs. Moon sign

rosegarden

Do you think person’s authentic self is their sun or moon sign?
Are ’you’ your moon sign expressing yourself as your sun sign or is your real self your sun sign whose emotions are your moon sign?
Which one is the inner-core?
I read today in some forum someone putting it in a way that just like in the solar system sun is the core that all objects are moving around, is sun person’s core astrologically as well

(Sorry, this question might be put in a stupid way and sorry if my grammar is bad)

They’re both obviously incredibly important but i have personally seen it as your core self being your moon sign and it experiencing + expressing itself as and through a lence of your sun sign kind of

Any opinions about this? :)

Last edited:

obsidianmineral

Are ’you’ your moon sign expressing yourself as your sun sign or is your real self your sun sign whose emotions are your moon sign?
I read today in some forum someone putting it in a way that just like in the solar system sun is the core that all objects are moving around, is sun person’s core astrologically as well

Sorry, this question might be put in a stupid way and sorry if my grammar is bad

They’re both obviously incredibly important but i have personally seen it as your core self being your moon sign and it experiencing + expressing itself as and through a lence of your sun sign kind of

This is an interesting topic. Thinking back to the initial significations of the Sun and the Moon as celestial bodies, we can associate the Moon, the closest body to the Earth, as a reflection our beginnings as a species: we evolved from water, we are all animals that feed off of the food and resources in Mother Earth, we all seek nurture and prosperity - and so on and so forth. The Moon is that print in our hearts that reminds us of our origins, even on a specific personal basis. In personal astrology, the Moon is the inner-child and the experiences that had the most impact in us when we were raised. It’s our sense of belonging and of safety. It also is our everyday mood and emotional well-being. A very well aspected Moon would represent someone who is always emotionally secure, who’s been raised in very good conditions with everything at his disposal. Someone who’s interested in delightful conversations with others, somebody who is social and of gentle in character. So in the most mundane sense, we really are our Moon sign. It’s where we come from. Along with the ascendant, it represents how we act socially and how our basic personality is.

However, the Sun, being an all-powerful yet distant object from the Earth, is esoterically associated with that, while still is part of us as humans, it’s not part of to the qualities given to us by our past or our home (the planet earth or your personal home life). The Sun isn’t our moods, it’s not anything that’s related to our instinctual nature. Keep in mind the Sun is a fiery and dry astrological planet, so it’s incapable of emotionally connecting with other bodies. Nevertheless, it still represents something crucial: the soul. The individuality given to you by divine grace. What differentiates you from others and what drives you to do things in life. The Sun would represent our half-human half-divine nature. It lets us rise above our instincts and casual desires to pursue something bigger: meaning, creation, or individuality for its own sake (1st house, 5th house and 9th house are related to that). The 9th house is traditionally considered the place of rejoice of the Sun because of its esoteric association with larger-than-life themes. The Sun finds special joy in being expressed on a high scale with an all encompassing landscape. Morals, ethics, values, wisdom - all that which is contained in the house of God.

So what would then accurately represent our personalities? It depends on each individual on how each planet is positioned in the natal chart, but, generally speaking, the Moon has a bigger role in our childhoods, teenage years and early adulthood, while the Sun gradually overtakes our personalities as we slowly choose to become like our Sun (all people do). You can notice it in your own life: as you get more confident in what you are and what your goal in life is, the more your Sun has evolved in you. The Sun is that fiery, divine-like clarity that lets you see life with purpose.

Let’s say for example that someone is born in a terrible household with narcissistic parents and goes through mental trauma only to use that as a motivator to become a psychologist later in life and to be of help to others. The Moon and the Ascendant would represent that individual’s past and unconscious patterns in mood, security and general personality that probably won’t be shaken off too easily, while the Sun would be that driving force in wanting to help others. So, in the end, we are both the Sun and the Moon. We just tend to show our Sun’s characteristics later on life because they’re not a result of unconscious environmental conditioning. The Sun very much is a passionate conscious energy.

Last edited:

Frisiangal

I'd say that one.

IMHO that is still the Sun; the active driving force of a person's (free) will to be him/herself.

The Moon represents the REactive force of inner feelings towards outer stimuli (people, situation, circumstances).
A wide percentage of people live through their feelings, which do not necessarily express what they want.

Using a similar analogy of Sun's position in the solar system upon which astrology is based, think of the Moon's position to the Sun. Even the moon-light is not of its own making. It has no light of its own, as can be seen in those few moonless evenings per month before a new moon rises. Every facet of Moon is based upon the (amount of) light it receives and reflects from the Sun. A reason for its notorious 'changeable feelings' ?

If the Sun represents the active self of another, one's Moon may react in response, yet it is through inner feeling TO the outer force it comes up against and not necessarily from a person's own individual will. Astro. aspects between Sun and Moon can show if, how, where, and why they work together or not.

:smile:

[written during posting from Obsidianmineral]

katydid

To complicate matters, I think some people are more attuned to expressing their solar persona, their goals and ambitions, but are less attuned to their emotional self.

Others can be very emotional, very reactive and live through their lunar realm, and may not be as in touch with their Solar persona and their inner core. Some claim not to 'feel' like their Sun sign at all.

JUPITERASC

Sorry, this question might be put in a stupid way and sorry if my grammar is bad

Any opinions about this?
:)
TWELVE astrological SIGNS
and so
SUN delineation dependent on SIGN LOCATION of SUN

similarly for MOON

and THEN

delineating SUN & MOON for natal chart

notice there are
one hundred and forty-four different combinations of Sun Sign with Moon Sign :smile:
without even considering HOUSE LOCATION of Sun and/or Moon
and so
keep in mind that
generalising re: this question - although tempting and fun
is unreliable

IleneK

Premium Member

"Are ’you’ your moon sign expressing yourself as your sun sign
or
is your real self your sun sign whose emotions are your moon sign?
Which one is the inner-core?"

++++

This is a really good question. Thank you for raising it.

I think both are true, both are expressions of your authentic self. The Moon is the seat of our inner feeling life, and as mother/child, is the manifestation of life. And the Sun is the actual center of the solar system, the giver of light and life on earth. One is more personal, the other more transpersonal, but they combine to shape our true self.

Last edited:

rosegarden

"Are ’you’ your moon sign expressing yourself as your sun sign
or
is your real self your sun sign whose emotions are your moon sign?
Which one is the inner-core?"

++++

This is a really good question. Thank you for raising it.

I think both are true, both are expressions of your authentic self. The Moon is the seat of our inner feeling life, and as mother/child, is the manifestation of life. And the Sun is the actual center of the solar system, the giver of light and life on earth. One is more personal, the other more transpersonal, but they combine to shape our true self.

Thank you for this answer, very well said. :)

Last edited: