Ascendant sign and ruler of the ascendant

obsidianmineral

I think it’s very important to consider those two things. I think they represent the native but more so in regards to their initial life circumstances and where they come from. I haven’t been able to see correlation with physical appearance and the rising sign, though. Any ideas?

Maybe I’m projecting but I’m a Cancer rising with Moon in the 4th in Libra and I definitely see myself as a very moon-like person, especially in my childhood. I’d say I’m aloof, sociable yet distant, full of thought - and, in other regards, constantly reminiscing about the past; very aware of my child-self within me and I have a good long term memory. I’d say that this keen sense of awareness about my own emotional states and what “feels” like me has given me a very real sense of self. I constantly feel distant from others and like I’m a foreigner everywhere I go.

On a physical side, I have always been a late bloomer. Like really so. To the point where I looked like I was 11 when I was 16. That exaggerated yes. Could that be because my Saturn is in a mutual reception by exaltation with my Moon or something? I look a lot like my dad.

Last edited:

Cary2

Banned
I can only offer my opinion, but I have often thought about this.

I believe the ruler of the sign on the Ascendant is a powerful planet chart-wise, and a planet conjunct Ascendant has ruler potential, but what is usually neglected are the many connections. Connections are more effective usually than the signs involved. You haven't sussed-out the Ascendant until you analyze all the aspects, midpoints and configurations that contain the Ascendant as a component.

Martin Seymour-Smith says that the distinction between the Ascendant and the Midheaven is not so strictly distinct as we have been led to believe. A stellium on the Mc will affect a person's appearance or presence as if it were on the Ascendant.,

An old friend of mine has a large Scorpio stellium on the Mc and nothing on the Ascendant. The stellium on her Mc has the same components as the Scorpio stellium on Marie Curie's (discoverer of radium) Midheaven, and the two women look like identical twins. Their births are a hundred years apart, and they never met.

I have seen it over and over again, that a strong force assembled on the Mc will affect appearance as if it were on the Ascendant.

Last edited:

obsidianmineral

I can only offer my opinion, but I have often thought about this.

I believe the ruler of the sign on the Ascendant is a powerful planet chart-wise, and a planet conjunct Ascendant has ruler potential, but what is usually neglected are the many connections. Connections are more effective usually than the signs involved. You haven't sussed-out the Ascendant until you analyze all the aspects, midpoints and configurations that contain the Ascendant as a component.

Martin Seymour-Smith says that the distinction between the Ascendant and the Midheaven is not so strictly distinct as we have been led to believe. A stellium on the Mc will affect a person's appearance or presence as if it were on the Ascendant.,

An old friend of mine has a large Scorpio stellium on the Mc and nothing on the Ascendant. The stellium on her Mc has the same components as the Scorpio stellium on Marie Curie's (discoverer of radium) Midheaven, and the two women look like identical twins. Their births are a hundred years apart, and they never met.

I have seen it over and over again, that a strong force assembled on the Mc will affect appearance as if it were on the Ascendant.

Interesting. So planets in the 10th house are similar to planets in the 1st when it comes down to physical appearance?

I haven’t given the whole midpoint thing you mentioned that much thought. What would the midpoint between the ascendant and each of the planets represent?

Cary2

Banned
I am more focused on proximity to Mc than location in the Tenth House. Likewise, I am more focused on proximity to As than to location in the First House.

The midpoints (not all characteristics will apply; we judge which apply by the confirmation from rest of the chart)

Sun-Ascendant/Mc : arrogant; selfish; authoritarian; energetic; individualistic; may want fame; conjunction emphasizes sign occupied. (Seymour-Smith)

Moon-Ascendant/Mc : temperamental; adaptable/infuriated - often a wobble between these; restless; apparently inconsistent; moody; subjective; poetic. (Seymour-Smith)

Mercury-Ascendant/Mc : agile-minded; slick; self-critical; cunning or shrewd; nervous underneath; can be wily conman; can be snowed under with verbal or written agreements or just meaningless paper.

Venus-Ascendant/Mc : desires harmony and is unhappy when he/she cannot get it; hates a bad atmosphere; successful strategies based on ideas of possession; affectionate; needs security; arranges for others to do the work, if possible; tendency to inertia. (Seymour-Smith)

Etc......

Last edited: