How to Interpret the "Finger of God"

Arian Maverick

I believe that I may have two or more potential yods ("The Finger of God") in my natal chart, but since many of my planets appear in clusters I am unsure which are involved in this configuration...unless *gulp* five different yods are formed. Can anyone help me out with this? Here is a quick synopsis of my chart:

Neptune in Capricorn (12th house) forms a sexile with Pluto in Scorpio (9th house), and both of these planets quincux with Mars in Gemini (4th house)

Saturn in Capricorn (12th house) forms a sexile with Pluto in Scorpio (9th house), and both of these planets quincux with Mars in Gemini (4th house)

Sun in Aries (2nd house) forms a sexile with Mars in Gemini (4th house),and both of these planets quincux with Pluto in Scorpio (9th house)

Venus in Aries (2nd house) forms a sexile with Mars in Gemini (4th house), and both of these planets quincux with Pluto in Scorpio (9th house)

Mercury in Aries (2nd house) forms a sexile with Mars in Gemini (4th house) and both of these planets quincux with Pluto in Scorpio (9th house)

I can obviously tell that Mars and Pluto have some great significance in my chart, but I am still unsure of the energies of the planets that contribute. Is it possible for me to have five yods whose configurations are very similar, as I attempted to describe above? My Venus and Sun are both at 15 Aries, and Mercury is only one degree away at 16 Aries. In addition, Neptune at 12 Cap is only one degree away from Saturn at
13 Cap...any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. I don't know if this link will work but I'll try; my chart can (hopefully) be found at http://www.astro.com/cgi/chart.cgi?rs=3;btyp=w2gw;cid=vc1fileLf7sI4-u1129157147&nhor=1

wilsontc

Staff member
Yods

Maverick,

To simplify problems such as this, I consider conjunctions or stelliums (conjuntions of more than 2 planetary energies) one group of energies in itself. So, using this simplified system, you have three Yods, one pointing to Mars (being, also action), one to Pluto (tranformation), and one to the South node. However, since the Nodes are always in opposition to each other, the Yod to the South node is actually a Boomerang to the North node (future goals). I think of Yods and Boomerangs as simply a way of focusing planetary energy, so you have a focus on action, transformation, and future goals, using this system.

Simply,

Tim

Arian Maverick

Thanks, Tim!

I have another question to ask...are you considering the Pluto, Mars, True Node triangle a yod even though it consists of only quincux angles, and the Neptune/Saturn, Aries Stellium, South Node triangle a yod although it has a square base? I read definitions from multiple sources that stated a yod can only be formed by a sextile connecting two planets/astrological bodies at the base and having these two each make a quincux angle to the third. Also, I was unsure of the yod pointing to Pluto because it is the slowest moving planet...I also found one site (but only one, and I was researching this quite a bit yesterday) claiming that the slow-moving planets could not form the point of a yod, and the a fast-moving planet could not be one of the two points that form the base.

Very Grateful,
Maverick

wilsontc

Staff member
Using points and planets in aspect patterns

Maverick,

I am aware that aspect patterns are commonly considered to be something only possible for planets. However, I have found that it makes sense to use "points" of the chart (e.g., Ascendant, Descendant, Nadir, Midheaven, and Nodes) as well in asepct pattern interpretation. This can get a little confusing when using a program such as Astrodienst, for it doesn't show aspect connections to the "points" in the chart. However, using an astrology program makes these aspect "points" visble and apparent in the chart.

Secondly, I consider the astrological birth chart a non-moving chart. So it doesn't matter to my interpretation whether a planet is slow, fast, applying, separating, etc. All that matters is the planets position in the chart and the aspects it makes to other planets or "points".

Different astrologers will do things different ways, but, for me, this is the simplest, most intuitive method, that simply "makes sense" to me!

Explaining my astro-theory,

Tim

Arian Maverick

Tim,

Thanks for providing such a grounded approach to my inqueries...my restless Aries enthusiasm combined with Mars in Gemini gives me a rather assertive approach in tackling what I deem to be a mental conquest, and as one of my readings declared, I "have an active and critical mind that may be inclined toward going off in many directions at once." Who would have guessed that? :roll:

Now all I have to do is assimilate the energies of the conjunctive planets involved in my three yods, and I'm set...before I ram myself head-on into another little astrological adventure. :D

Maverick

VenusInAries

Wow I learned a lot there Wilson and Mav I have a yod too; moon in 5th sextile saturn in 7th inconjunct uranus in the 12th.

I had an astrologer friend tell me a long time ago that yods are only relevant if the anchoring planet or I mean the one at the end of the inconjuncts is the slowest moving planet.. I for me have to disagree I think that energy is still there with the aspects regardless of the speed of the planet on the end of the inconjuncts ya know.. but again I like to consider myself a forever learning and growing student of astrology so would love to hear others views on yods as well :)

Sag Moon

The Inconjunct is the out of whack aspect.It generally feels uncomfortable because it does not relate to the other signs that it is associated with.

What can bring some balance is if it occurs with somrthing like Taurus and Libra which have a kind of affinity to each being ruled by Venus and Arie to Scorpio is the other pairiing that has affinity.

Ever feel weird at a party? That is what the Incnjunct aspect is,but it can intergrate thru the sextile If it's the Yod situation.Depends on placement and the planets involved.

I have my sn\mn Inconjunct.

Venus in Aires
The Inconjunct remark was taken from remark from Bill Tierney's Book "Dynamics Of Aspect Anaysis" Pg.144 from his friend I guess Al H. Morrison.

Last edited:

kyle8921

Ok.. I read everything here but am still having trouble. Sometime I run into something in astrology that I have NO idea how to interpret.

I have Moon in 7th House Virgo forming a sextile to Chiron in 5th House Gemini, both forming a quincunx to Mercury in 1st House (and perfect conjunction to Ascendent) Aquarius.

But... I don't know how to interpret this configuration really. ..Help..?

Arian Maverick

I have Moon in 7th House Virgo forming a sextile to Chiron in 5th House Gemini, both forming a quincunx to Mercury in 1st House (and perfect conjunction to Ascendent) Aquarius.

How can the Moon in Virgo form a sextile to Chiron in Gemini? Both of these signs are mutable, so the planets contained within them should naturally form a square aspect unless either or both planets are located at the very beginning or very end of the sign. Yet even if this is the case, I am unsure if a configuration such as a yod can be formed by disassociate aspects. Is Chiron located in late Gemini? If Mercury in Aquarius is the focal point of the yod--the apex--the planets forming quincunx aspects to it should be located in Cancer and Virgo. You mentioned that your Moon is in Virgo, so if forms a sextile to Chiron in Gemini, Chiron must be located near the end of the sign...

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

Soul Friend

Re: Yods

wilsontc said:
Maverick,

To simplify problems such as this, I consider conjunctions or stelliums (conjuntions of more than 2 planetary energies) one group of energies in itself. So, using this simplified system, you have three Yods, one pointing to Mars (being, also action), one to Pluto (tranformation), and one to the South node. However, since the Nodes are always in opposition to each other, the Yod to the South node is actually a Boomerang to the North node (future goals). I think of Yods and Boomerangs as simply a way of focusing planetary energy, so you have a focus on action, transformation, and future goals, using this system.

Simply,

Tim

Great stuff Tim but I believe the skewed view of Astrodienst Charts is messing with us. I see nothing at all in Aquarius anywhere or the latter half of Capricorn so the 11th H is completely empty by my view making that last Yod a bit odd. I thought in light of further discussion you might have been using an angle but the MC is at the beginning of Capricorn. I hope this clarifies a little. :D

wilsontc

Staff member
aspect lines, to Soul

Soul,

I am using a chart program that shows aspect lines to the North and South nodes, which is where I got the third Yod.

Explaining,

Tim

Soul Friend

Long time not been back to this thread!

Thanks Tim. I never know who is willing to use nodes and who is strictly using planets only. That's why I overlooked the nodes. Sorry it took me so long to get back but glad I made it. At least now I know where you stand including nodes and perhaps you might even include the 4 major angles when needed.

Would that be so? They do seem to relate in the same ethereal angular way as nodes. Although I don't follow Uranian points I think work done here in the body of Astrological historical study gives adequate research and observations to use angles in Aspects.