8th House Sun and Astrology

Birch Dragon

There's nothing scientific about this observation - I haven't been counting so I don't have any real evidence to back it up - but it's seemed to me lately like I've been seeing a lot of charts on this site with an 8th house sun. Now, I have an 8th house Sun, so I recognize it might just be a case of noticing what perks my own personal interest. But I just read a thread where one of the (many) astrologers on this site whose posts I really pay attention to posted his own chart and I noticed the 8th house sun. Which made me think it seems like a lot of the astrologers I really pay attention to on this site have noted they have eight house suns. At least, the one's whose charts I know anything about. And if I think of it, I think I've seen a disproportionately large number of 8th house Suns amongst the whole population of this site.
Or am I just wrong? Just noticing what strikes me as interesting?

Is there some connection to astrology and having an 8th house sun???

And while we're at it, what's the 8th house Sun all about anyway???
If I say the 8th house remains to me something of a mystery (which I am willing to say) I don't think I say that out of simple ignorance. I think it's something of the nature of the house itself. And so some conversation about the Sun - the "planet" of illumination - in the deepening, dark, mystical 8th house is, it seems to me, always warranted...

ashriia

I notice alot of astrologers who post online are mercury risers, particularly virgo. Also I see alot of Sag MC with merc there too. I think the sun plays less of a role than the rising sign, just IMO though. :sideways:

Birch Dragon

Hi ashriia. Interesting.
I wonder, with Mercury rising, if the key isn't "I notice a lot of astrologers who post online" but "I notice a lot of astrologers who post online?"

I made a note to a fellow Virgo rising on this site the other day. Her's was the fourth chart I'd seen in a few days on this site that had the Asc right around the middle of Virgo (15 degrees-ish) where we were making our lives or trying to make our lives via academics. She runs a school, I'm a prof., and the other two were PhD students (if I remember right). All Gemini MCs too.
If I was forced to guess, I would have probably imagined Uranus was the planet that would show up prominently with most frequency amongst astrologers.
But what do I know... :sideways:
I may have pounced too quickly when I launched this thread without thinking it through... :whistling:

Last edited:

RodJM

In its most basic sense the 8th house is an area of life whereby we deal with the experience of the limitations or parameters of who we are as opposed to who we are not and can't be. Put the Sun in there and you will experience this in relation with the core part of yourself.
So to answer your question, the connection to astrology is part of that process in so much as, is this system of symbolism a good way to test limitations or parameters of myself?

Last edited:

Zarathu

Account Closed
58 of the more than 600 charts I currently have in my list from ASTROweekly.COM have Sun in the 8th house. About 10 percent.

kimbermoon

My Cancer Sun in 8th House; close encounters with experiences of death and the after-affects of death [wills, estates, legacies]; interest in the after-lifeI. Also a psychological orientation in life; defining what shared resources actually means; a strong focus on the metaphysical aspects of life, along with psychic sensitivity which has created a lot of mysterious, inexplicable happenings in my life; I think of this as representing the access between material 'resources' and 'spiritual resources.'

JUPITERASC

There's nothing scientific about this observation
- I haven't been counting so I don't have any real evidence to back it up -
but it's seemed to me lately like

I've been seeing a lot of charts on this site with an 8th house sun

Now, I have an 8th house Sun,
so I recognize it might just be a case of noticing what perks my own personal interest.

But I just read a thread where one of the (many) astrologers on this site whose posts I really pay attention to posted his own chart and I noticed the 8th house sun. Which made me think it seems like a lot of the astrologers I really pay attention to on this site have noted they have eight house suns. At least, the one's whose charts I know anything about.

And if I think of it,

I think I've seen a disproportionately large number of 8th house Suns amongst the whole population of this site.

Or am I just wrong? Just noticing what strikes me as interesting?

And while we're at it, what's the 8th house Sun all about anyway???
If I say the 8th house remains to me something of a mystery (which I am willing to say) I don't think I say that out of simple ignorance. I think it's something of the nature of the house itself. And so some conversation about the Sun - the "planet" of illumination - in the deepening, dark, mystical 8th house is, it seems to me, always warranted...
There is no 'right or wrong' on this matter, because
the house location of any natal sun or of any natal planet
is entirely dependent on the house system chosen
and
that's a matter of personal, individual preference :smile:

Keep in mind as well
that no natal chart is indubitably, definitely precisely accurate
therefore it is entirely possible that,
due to the actual time of birth having been potentially only minutes earlier or later
then
some '8th House Suns' that are 'close to the house cusp'
are instead in fact either '7th House Suns' or '9th House Suns'

Using Whole Sign Houses eliminates the confusion
a fact easily verified by creating numerous alternative natal charts
using a selection of any of the fourteen different house systems
on offer at astro.com's Extended Chart Selection Page

EXPLANATORY ASTROLOGICAL HOUSES ARTICL
E http://www.librarising.com/astrology/misc/wholesignhouses.html

'...In no other area of astrology is there so much mess and confusion than in the area of the so-called "houses".
There are at least twenty or thirty different house systems
or means of dividing the so-called "birthchart" into twelve segments of life activity.
In astrology, houses, mansions, or domains, represent general areas of life activity
and are the grounding areas or arenas of expression for planets.
Originally, the words "houses" and "signs" were interchangeable
or meant the same thing.
A planet in Aries was also a planet in the house of Aries,
so that in effect there were no real houses as we know them today....'

'….Artificial divisions now known as houses were attempts by early Greeks and Hindus to measure strength "points" in the horoscope, which during 7th and 8th centuries AD were construed or confused as means of dividing the birth chart. The ascendant and midheaven degrees and their opposites, for example, were definite power points or areas of intense focus, but not necessarily the beginnings of a house or quadrant. In fact, there is no real basis for the astrological houses at all. They derive from a misunderstanding of the true nature of the Ascendant and Midheaven factors in astrology, Ascendant representing Earth/terrestial sphere, and Midheaven representing Sky/Heaven /celestial sphere....'

'...If any house system should be used at all, it should be the Whole Sign House system, where the ascendant sign becomes the whole first house and the others follow. Ascendant point can then fall anywhere in the first house and the midheaven point anywhere in the upper half of the chart. The Whole Sign House system was used by the ancient Greeks and the Hindus(who still use it today). It is the oldest and simplest house system in existence, and immediately eliminates the awful mess astrologers have made on the issue over the last 1300 years or so....'

WHOLE SIGN OR PLACIDUS
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39669

tr1nity

I know 4 people with an 8th house sun they are all wise souls, all like astrology to varying degrees. They also all like politics and lost their father in early life.

Happy Easter to everyone with lots of chocolate.

kimbermoon

I suggest that it is the 9th that is often more involved in astrology. I have a conjunction of Mercury/Uranus therein...I have my Sun joined with Jupiter in the 8th and yes I lost my father fairly young in life. Jupiter is about learning and education at a higher level and I have long studied astrology. As I see it, it is often the traumas or tragedies that may be associated with the 8th, that inspire us to gain greater understanding and knowledge through the 9th.

Carinablokdorp

My Cancer Sun in 8th House; close encounters with experiences of death and the after-affects of death [wills, estates, legacies]; interest in the after-lifeI. Also a psychological orientation in life; defining what shared resources actually means; a strong focus on the metaphysical aspects of life, along with psychic sensitivity which has created a lot of mysterious, inexplicable happenings in my life; I think of this as representing the access between material 'resources' and 'spiritual resources.'
Yes , i have also the sun in the 8th house in twins and i am also interested in the matters that you write here , dear kimbermoon :)

draconic

isn' t it the attraction to what's deep or hidden?I have no planets in 8 house but I'm quite plutionian and have a 9th house signature.the synastry of the most important relationship in my life was focused on 8th house cross aspects.
I also know people with a packed 8th house who are completely skeptycal about astrology but highly skilled manipulators,due to a natural intuition of other people's motives and weak spots.
the key could be "love/need to posses what's in the dark"

Ereshkigal

My Sun in Gemini is conjunct to the 8th house cusp. The lord Mercury is in the 8th too but cancer. Scorpio rising conjunct Uranus.
Beside astrology I love horror and write horror stories :lol:

thelivingsky

A strong 9th house seems to show up in astrologers too. Might be good to look upthe charts of many of the more famous astrologers and see what they look like.

thelivingsky

As for the 8th house, I think Liz Greene and Dane Rhudyar are the best at describing the deeper true meaning of the houses. Rhudyar wrote a book entitled The Astrological Houses - it may out-of-print but you might be able to find at the used book dealers.

The eighth house represents the energies and fruits of our most intimate relationships. It corresponds to the 8th sign of Scorpio - a sign that wants to probe everything deeply, is fascinated by life's mysteries. H8 is often a battleground where we must learn to set boundaries (which includes business contracts, mortgages etc) but also where we must reign in our own instincts and negative emotions in order to honor the boundaries of others. Often we find that despite our best intentions, we do not always respect others boundaries and we hurt those we are closest to. Thus, we are motivated to engage in deep introspection into our psyche to ferret out our deepest fears,insecurities and motivations. So we battle our own deepest issues and those of others.

I think astrologers were wise to ascribe both sex and other people's money as H8 issues, because relationships change dramatically when we begin to exchange sexual favors or money with others. Trust issues suddenly enter into the relationship. Our deepest psychological baggage gets triggered.

I have a longer in-depth essay about the eighth house on my blog at www.thelivingsky.wordpress.com if you care to read it.

Barb at thelivingsky.wordpress.com

CapAquaPis

My 8th house sun/moon in Aquarius (house under Scorpio) made me naturally interested in astrology and fascinated in the paranormal or supernatural realm from an early age. Mercury in 9th-Pisces plays a role in exploration of scientific pursuits, while Pisces and Aquarius alike are signs of astrology, and both Mercury (traditional) and Uranus (modern) are planets of astrology.

Lin

Not sure that the Sun in particular is a prime dynamic for those interested in Astrology; I think ANY planets (personal) in the 8th house has meaning. The 8th house is the house of "other people's values" or other people 'stuff'. It's the 2nd house of partnership but it's more than that. We develop our values regarding what we want and need from "others" in this house.
We also might want to affect or guide the values and motivations of others if we have personal planets in this house. It's the house of proselytizing .... although a good astrologer only does this when actually ASKED.

The 9th house is also common with astrologers....and it doesn't have to be planets IN the 9th but the ruler and it's aspects...(the ruler of the 9th). In my case the ruler of my 8th is in my 9th (Merc).

Having planets in the 7th,8th,9th houses really automatically makes one interested in why others do what they do, think what they think, believe what they believe....
and it forms a foundation for the need to KNOW...in other words, a great "curiosity" for lack of a better word...for why people do what they do.

If one also lacks planets in the 1st and 2nd houses there may be an imbalance - meaning the person thinks and cares more about what OTHERS do and think than possibly what they themselves do and think. Although with a strong 9th this is a way of life really....not just a passing curiosity.

I think that a heavy eastern side in the chart is the signature of a person who is a bit lost in this world and believes that knowing how and why OTHERS do what they do will help them understand their own place in it.

I don't know if this is true. I have 6 planets out of 10 between my 8th and 9th....and although I have learned a LOT about people, including myself, thru astrology and connected studies, sometimes I am still absolutely confounded by the actions of others!

So I have concluded that the positions in my chart are karmic. I do what I do because I was meant to.
LIN

sibylline

I have my chart ruler Sun/Venus in Pisces in the 8th house. :)

I am interested in understanding myself and other people so when I found astrology I was immediately entranced. Not only that but I must know the root of their behavior; it is impossible for me to look on the surface of things. I also have Mercury in Aquarius in 7th square Pluto so I do a lot of people observing and I spend a lot of time theorizing about patterns of behavior and why people do what they do.

Other placements might incline toward astrology too, like 12th/Neptune/Pisces, 9th hse/Sag, and Uranus/Aqua, but the motivations will be different from those of the 8th.

Last edited: