Why aren't there any birds among the signs?

Juno11

I have been wondering why none of the twelve zodiac signs are birds? There are water creatures, mammals, humans and dead objects but no birds? i don't get it, it's like a very important symbolic part of the world has been left out. i know that the Scorpio also is referred to as the Eagle if it's a highly developed scorpio, but still...Why do you think no birds are represented?

Last edited:

Lightrider

Beats me. Aquarius should be a bird, since we like to fly high! All we have instead is a skinny dude carrying water. So lame :rolleyes:

Juno11

LOL - Littereraly, for once!

But seriously, what's the lamest symbol? Cancer have really dense eyes. Looking kinda stupid.

JUPITERASC

I have been wondering why none of the twelve zodiac signs are birds? There are water creatures, mammals, humans and dead objects but no birds? i don't get it, it's like a very important symbolic part of the world has been left out. i know that the Scorpio also is referred to as the Eagle ig it's a highly developed scorpio, but still...Why do you think no birds are represented?
Because they flew away:smile:

Juno11

Because they flew away:smile:

I really think it's weird though..Astrology being so influenced by symbols and all, I just don't get it. There's such a flaw to the circle of symbols. Maybe it's my Virgo rising that's making me feel at so unease about this, but it drives me nuts that there's not a frigging BIRD in the zodiac!

Rebel Uranian

Because all the birds were saved for the higher-up constellations like Aquila and Cygnus, which don't cross the ecliptic. That's just a guess, by the way.

dr. farr

Ancient and medieval astrological (and related alchemical) symbolism often used an Eagle to represent Scorpio.
Chinese astrology has a bird (Rooster) sign. Also there is a little known (but really important) methodology in Vedic astrology (especially in South India) which is called "Panchapaksi", meaning "the 5 birds", where these birds symbolize important "energy current flows" (ie, the tantric 5 elements) which play a significant role in prediction (the "paksi's" are: crow, rooster, vulture, peacock, owl)

Last edited:

Love2Know

What are you saying about the cancer symbol willis?!!!!!!!! Dense eyes? :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: What do you mean?! I agree though, the crab is lame I have no affinity to a crab I would rather be a griffin or magical unicorn something. Crabs are like anti emotional, dolphin maybe they seem emotional. They are capable of empathy.

waybread

Actually, if you've got Virgo rising.... look at some of the pictures of the constellations drawn during the Renaissance. Virgo is usually depected as a winged woman. She is one of the "bicorporeal" signs. Virgo in general rules birds although specific species or classes of birds may have different rulers.

Ancient astrologers who worked with constellations or fixed stars included those off the ecliptic, such as Cygnus (the swan) and Aquila (the eagle).

Also in ancient times, Cancer was sometimes depicted as the asterism Praesepe (the manger) with two burros on either side. To the Egyptians, Cancer was the scarab beetle, a symbol of eternal life.

A good book on this sort of thing is J. H. Allen, Star names: Their Lore and Meaning.

Last edited:

Caro

If you look at a tarot pack and the card the world, it has the 4 fixed signs on it which includes the eagle as representing scorpio.

this is just my thought as birds after often seen as messengers, maybe they are considered to be linked to the higher realms.

interesting about the paksi's as I read something similar, 3 of those birds come up regularly in meditations. I have yet to meet the rooster and vulture though.

Juno11

What are you saying about the cancer symbol willis?!!!!!!!! Dense eyes? :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: What do you mean?! I agree though, the crab is lame I have no affinity to a crab I would rather be a griffin or magical unicorn something. Crabs are like anti emotional, dolphin maybe they seem emotional. They are capable of empathy.

Hahaha! No, I didn't mean cancerean girls, I meant the actual crab :)

Juno11

Actually, if you've got Virgo rising.... look at some of the pictures of the constellations drawn during the Renaissance. Virgo is usually depected as a winged woman. She is one of the "bicorporeal" signs. Virgo in general rules birds although specific species or classes of birds may have different rulers.

Ancient astrologers who worked with constellations or fixed stars included those off the ecliptic, such as Cygnus (the swan) and Aquila (the eagle).

Also in ancient times, Cancer was sometimes depicted as the asterism Praesepe (the manger) with two burros on either side. To the Egyptians, Cancer was the scarab beetle, a symbol of eternal life.

A good book on this sort of thing is J. H. Allen, Star names: Their Lore and Meaning.

Wow, this sorts a lot out. Very interesting! To me this means birds actually were a part of the zodiac, which makes sense to me. The Virgo though, wouldn't you think it symbolizes an angel?

imgres

Last edited:

Love2Know

Yeah crabs are fugly creatures, I used to make them fight each other as a kid when I went to the ocean. TO THE DEAth jk not to the death but close muahaha. Winged woman........ like an angel or a harpy?

JerryRR

Babylonian Zodiac.

Pisces -Shim mah "The Great Swallow."

Egyptian Planets.
Sun-Horus "Falcon"
Moon-"Ibis headed God.
Mercury-"Falcon with outstretched wings."
Venus- "Heron on Perch."
Mars- "Red Flamingo."
Jupiter/Saturn- "Falcons."

J.R.R.

Pallas-trine-Mars

I always associate the sign Libra with the Ostrich, which i consider it's animal equivalent seeing as it's the only sign not represented by an animal, unless you consider Aquarius an object and not a person (which I don't). Some might say Libra is the goddess Astraea, but I see her as Virgo the woman holding the scales, Libra.

Some people also associate Gemini with birds, talking ones especially.

Rebel Uranian

I associate Libra with Astraea. It really gets rid of the "Lazy Libra" thing. The Air triplicity is the only triplicity to have no animals in it.

Libra - Astraea/scales
Aquarius - Water-bearer
Gemini - Twins (human)

Other triplicities:

Capricorn - Goat
Taurus - Bull
Virgo - Virgin (human)

Aries - Ram
Leo - Lion
Sagittarius - Centaur/human archer

Cancer - Crab
Scorpio - Scorpion (historically thought to be a mutilated crab)
Pisces - Fishes

JUPITERASC

Ancient and medieval astrological (and related alchemical) symbolism often used an Eagle to represent Scorpio.
Chinese astrology has a bird (Rooster) sign. Also there is a little known (but really important) methodology in Vedic astrology (especially in South India) which is called "Panchapaksi", meaning "the 5 birds", where these birds symbolize important "energy current flows" (ie, the tantric 5 elements) which play a significant role in prediction (the "paksi's" are: crow, rooster, vulture, peacock, owl)
'Garuda' - a mythical bird ruling those born on any Sunday - is a Myanmar Burmese Zodiac Symbol as well as a Hindu and/or Buddhist bird deity:smile: