placidus vs whole

ananntha

hello... i m am new here and this is the first time i post here... i am a bit confused about my birth chart. well, when i switch my birtchart from placidus to whole everything changes .. and i was thinking if the meanings are the same.. for example: in placidus i have asc in cap with neptune and uranus conj AS and also saturn in aquarius in first house, or in 7th h i have venus in can, jup in leo and mars in leo...well in whole saturn goes in 2. mars and jup in 8.. so which is the best to choose in interpreting? .. and how should i interpret in whole mercury and sun in gemeni in 6th house?

[person didn't give astrological interpretation so moved to Greenhorns Lounge - Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome,
There are all sorts of different astrologers here on AW, Modern like myself, Traditional who mainly use horary astrology and natal. Thankfully usually all the house meanings are 'unilateral' ie: all the same, it's just a question of 'house cusps' This is rather a hot topic here and regularly debated

House systems
Lots of people that come into Astrology get their free charts calculated at www.astro.com and the default ‘house system’ used is Placidus and think that’s just the norm and all that there is……..BUT that is just the tip of the iceberg. You can change the default on astro.com in Extended Chart selection to Equal house and a few more.

Throughout the forums but mainly in natal astrology there are two main branches Placidus (unequal size houses) v Equal House (whereby each house is same size) but lots more……. For more information on these go here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_house_system#Equal_House
http://www.astrolozy.com/article19.asp
http://www.skyviewzone.com/birthinfoforms2/housesexplained.htm
For further research try here...
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3280&highlight=placidus+equal
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=638&highlight=house+system

It's only with study and research will you be able to assess where your planets are deposited and in which houses... thus see which 'glove fits'

Last edited:

katydid

hello... i m am new here and this is the first time i post here... i am a bit confused about my birth chart. well, when i switch my birtchart from placidus to whole everything changes .. and i was thinking if the meanings are the same.. for example: in placidus i have asc in cap with neptune and uranus conj AS and also saturn in aquarius in first house, or in 7th h i have venus in can, jup in leo and mars in leo...well in whole saturn goes in 2. mars and jup in 8.. so which is the best to choose in interpreting? .. and how should i interpret in whole mercury and sun in gemeni in 6th house?

Choosing the 'best' house system for yourself is a long process. :wink:

Keep looking at your chart in both ways for awhile, keeping note of transits to the houses especially. At some point you will gravitate towards one system.

Also, pick someone who you know really well, and look at their chart in a couple of house systems as well. Sometimes it is easier to see what fits somebody else better than ourselves. :bandit:

katydid

thank you very much for your prompt response. as you both said it ll take time to see which system ''fits '' me best.

A good starting place might be the differences between Saturn in the first vs.
Saturn in the second. Read as much as you can about those placements and compare. :sideways:

ananntha

hey, that was my idea too.. and i was thinking.. if saturn is in 2 than it means that the issues which involve the second house interest me very much*because saturn is the ruler of the AS* .. with saturn there it limits the income, a low self esteem? and everywhere i read about saturn in 2nd h says that has financial issues..umm, from this perspective i think that moon in 2nd fits me better cause money come and go.. fluctuant.. but still..saturn in 1st means a seriuos, responsible,austere etc person.. i m not sure yet.. an aspect which made me think that whole is more accurate for me is because of the position of sun and mercury in 6th h- interess in health, alimentation. but also sun in 5 suited me well- i love kids, sport.. just begining the path of astrology .. sorry for my grammar- i m from roumania. thanks for the sugestion

have sent you PM for Saturn in 1st and 2nd house....as the forum rules stipulate that only 100words can be used from another author without stating the author, book or website and as I don’t recall exactly where or who and don’t want to commit plagiarism, don’t have any choice but to PM as I do want you to have the full information or quote……

I would be helpful if you posted your chart for others to comment on or possibly help to check your time is correct using solar arcs measurements

Niplan

Banned
Saturn in the second could also mean you take posessions from other people or destruction of those things, You could be attached to what you own..

Doesn't mean you'll have low self esteem and money issues, you may even have a dictator like grip on your money, meaning your afraid to spend it sometimes, you fear loosing it.

Or depending who else is involved you could be very good with finances and money mangment.

Saturn is control, Not wanton fear and ****-tacular feelings about your self. control and power through fear of loss and destruction, either imposed upon you or you imposed upon others.

not that im saying you do that, but thats what it means by its self. need to know who else is involved.