What is the best way to convince a sceptic of astrology?

vox

What is the best way to convince any hardcore sceptic of astrology in your opinion?

Marinka

You can't. Currently, most of astrology is based on theories that people have (and have written books about) but, those people never put the effort into making a body of science to support their theories. They may provide one case but, one case does not make compelling evidence.

With true sciences, a person puts forth a theory and then provides proof in the form of a study that they can put before their peers as evidence that their theory is right or at least has a significant amount of factual data to not be disproved.

melleoscorp

Account Closed
I just leave them be
skeptics don't bother me. sometimes they are rude and insulting, even stalking me online and so on
but they can never turn me into a skeptic of astrology

david starling

The best way to convince (the few, unbiased, sincere) skeptics is to get them to study astrology thoroughly enough to attempt to make a genuinely well-informed case against it. Most skeptics, especially the most contemptuous and abrasive kind, aren't sincere or open-minded: They just don't like (or even hate) the very idea of astrological Synchronicity, and brush it away as being "unscientific" (which in Western culture means "untrue"), or with some other half-baked, superficial argument. These types of skeptics are dogmatically defending a world-view that doesn't include any version of astrology, and don't want to chance finding out that there may be "something to it." Why disturb their Slumber?

Last edited:

IleneK

Premium Member
Why would one waste one's time trying to change anyone else's mind? No one is required to think like anyone else and we are all entitled to our own opinion.

oleanna

Why would one waste one's time trying to change anyone else's mind? No one is required to think like anyone else and we are all entitled to our own opinion.

I so much agree!
Most times when we start to "convince " someone else of what we ourselves think is right, we truly only defend our own opinion.
So, do we feel insecure or embarrassed or attacked?
It's enough to me to have experienced that my understanding through astrology is working for myself. It's often one key to the world for me.
That is beautiful and nobody's judgement on that can bother me that much
-any more....

thelivingsky

Get their birth data. Do a one year's prognostication listing those times when Mars makes difficult aspects to their natal angles and planets. (keep in mind Mars transits often show up about 3 degrees ahead of the exact transit.) Put this in a sealed envelope, give it to them and they cannot open it until the year is up. If they will read it at the end of the year, it will be tough to deny that there were no tense times, accidents, health flare-ups, quarrels, etc. at the times of their difficult Mars transits.

david starling

Is there a way to predict skepticism from a chart? "According to your chart, you're a skeptic." It may be a combination of chart and upbringing--some chart configurations are less likely to "see" astrological correlations and can be convinced it doesn't work. Others are so inclined towards seeing the world astrologically they can't be convinced otherwise. I'm referring to those raised by, or around skeptics who belittle anyone who believes in it. Do Earth-signs in the chart make it harder to believe in astrology than say, Water-signs?

Last edited:

thelivingsky

I don't think element is such a big factor except if a chart was very heavy in earth and air, perhaps. Though my very first astrology teacher was a Gemini with Moon in Capricorn and Capricorn rising.But he had a prominent 9th house with his ruler placed there along with Neptune.

In my experience, a prominent 9th seems to favor the belief in astrology and other things metaphysical unless you find Saturn in an earth sign there.

Aquarius can be very stuck in the mechanistic scientific paradigm if there is also a strong Capricorn or Virgo influence especially Mercury. You can spot many of these "skeptics" more easily by their respect for "science" and their professed "atheism' rather than their charts.

Inline

Is there a way to predict skepticism from a chart? "According to your chart, you're a skeptic."

Atheist vs. Agnostic vs. Skeptic vs. Humanist...?

Atheist: believes there is no god, lacks faith in a god, is the 'non-believer'.
Agnostic: knows it is impossible to know if there is a god, is 'non-committal'.
Skeptic: application of critical thinking to all things, religious or non-religious.
Humanistic: to apply logic and reason to ethics and justice to do what is right.

A well-known Pastor described himself as an agnostic humanistic skeptic. Quote: "I realize that coexistence with others is political. I don’t know who is behind all of creation, I question it, and my values point to the advancement of the human race via love, which came from a very religious upbringing. As a preacher via religion, I studied the query of intent..."

It might be easier to first try and determine astrologically an atheist, then the skeptic, the humanist and then the agnostic?

Last edited: