Discussion of Ra Divinington's article:The 5 Lots of Fate

starlink

Hello Ra! Very interesting and something new to me which is always welcome.
My question is:

Once we have established the new Ascendant with the lot of Fortune in it (which is calculated with our own natal Ascendant in my case via the Placidus method), how do we calculate the other 4 Lots?

Do we go back to our own natal chart (not the equal signs chart but one of the others) and calculate them from there? Then place them in the new "fortune" chart? How do we go about placing the other 4 into the chart with Lot of Fortune in 1st house?

I also never heard of Lot of Exaltation, nor Lot of Basis.I have not found them in the "Arabian Pars calculator" in the internet. Astrology: Arabic Parts Astrology Calculator

Would you know another word for Basis maybe? Another word for Acquisition which I also did not find in the list could maybe be replaced by Abundance?
Starlink

Last edited:

RayAustin

Hello!
Glad you guys are interested.
I'm in the process of finishing the article, and making sure I'm doing everything right before proceeding further, and reading "The Anthology", which is the source of this information. There will be about five parts to the article.

starlink said:
Hello Ra! Very interesting and something new to me which is always welcome.
My question is:
Once we have established the new Ascendant with the lot of Fortune in it (which is calculated with our own natal Ascendant in my case via the Placidus method), how do we calculate the other 4 Lots?

I would calculate based on the whole sign version of your natal chart, which is how the ancient astrologers would have done, not on the placidus version. I will put the equations there too, if there's people who actually know how to figure it out by that.

Do we go back to our own natal chart (not the equal signs chart but one of the others) and calculate them from there? Then place them in the new "fortune" chart? How do we go about placing the other 4 into the chart with Lot of Fortune in 1st house?
Look at them as they would be in the whole sign version of your natal. I think though, that they will most likely be the same rulers.

The different lots will fall into signs. Say basis is at 1°53' Aries. Then the place of Basis is aries, and the lot ruler is Mars.

Would you know another word for Basis maybe? Another word for Acquisition which I also did not find in the list could maybe be replaced by Abundance?
Starlink

These are the proper names.

ConfusedPisces said:
What is that program you use and what are the steps?
I've used the program Janus 4.

Heres the equations for the four lots besides fortune:

Spirit - Ascendant + Sun - Moon
Basis - Ascendant + Fortuna - Lot of Spirit
Acquisition - This is easy to find out, it's going to be the 11th whole sign from the part of fortune. So, if the part of fortune is in cancer, then the place of Acquisition is Taurus. Another simple way: it is the eleventh house of the fortune chart, and it operates just like one too.

Exaltation -- Depends on whether the chart is diurnal, or nocturnal. If by day, this is the amount of whole signs away from the sun's position to aries, if by night, the amount of whole signs away the moon is from taurus (always counting the sign you start at). Then, the amount of whole signs away from the ascendant (wherever the asc is, not the fortune first house) is the native's place of exaltation.

For example if the sun is in Scorpio, the place of its exaltation is six signs away.
So the exaltation is six signs away from the sign of the ascendant. If the ASC was in Libra, the place of exaltation would be Pisces.

Last edited:

cassanra

I have a problem....astro.com puts my par fortune at 5 degrees saturn and astrowin puts it 180 degrees opposite at 5 degrees cancer. Any one else that have that issue of conflicting placements? It is the only thing that varies between the two programs.

RayAustin

cassanra said:
I have a problem....astro.com puts my par fortune at 5 degrees saturn and astrowin puts it 180 degrees opposite at 5 degrees cancer. Any one else that have that issue of conflicting placements? It is the only thing that varies between the two programs.

Were you born at night? That might be the problem.

You could just use the formula yourself and that should be the correct answer. The formula (for when sun below horizon) is ASC + SUN - MOON
:)

hiimnotcool

Re: The Five Lots of Fate, Success, Your Fortune Chart

Looks like you've got Vettius Valens down my friend. There is also a method to determine when the native in question will rise in life. This is called Zodiacal Releasing. It's when the Lord of Spirit releases the 10th from fortune. Also, do you know about Trigon lords to determine strength of a chart? There are 3 trigons for each person. 1 is primary, 1 is secondary, and 1 is cooperative. Valens considered these of prime importance in terms of fame. The Lots can only affirm what the trigons say. If the trigon Lords are weak the the lots arent able to work as well as they could.

The trigon Lords are as follows:

Fire:
Day-Sun, Jupiter, Saturn
Night-Jupiter, Sun, Saturn
Earth:
Day-Venus, Moon, Mars
Night-Moon, Venus, Mars
Air:
Day-Saturn, Mercury, Jupiter
Night-Mercury, Saturn, Jupiter
Water:
Day-Venus, Mars, Moon
Night-Mars, Venus, Moon

Angular trigons mean above average status in life, succedent means middling status in life, and cadent is weak status in life. Each person has 3 so take all into account. If a person has 1 angular, 1 succedent, and 1 cadent then it's safe to say they would have an average life in terms of success. If 2 are succedent and 1 is angular, then it's safe to say they will have above average life in theory according to astrology. Anyways, if you have any questions regarding this then let me know.

lillyjgc

Senior Member, Educational board Editor

hiimnotcool,
I moved the post above from the Education Board to the discussion here. Articles, to be published on the Ed Board need to be written up in a more formal way than what we usually use when discussing on the Boards. If you want to put something together including the above info and present it as a formal piece, we can follow on from ra's article with it.
Cheers,
lillyjgc

starlink

I would calculate based on the whole sign version of your natal chart, which is how the ancient astrologers would have done, not on the placidus version. I will put the equations there too, if there's people who actually know how to figure it out by that.

So I actually should calculate the POFortune also directly using the whole sign version. My POF now is calculated from the Placidus Ascendant, but to keep it all in the traditional sfere, I will do everything via whole sign division. Lets see how much it differs from the Placidus placements:)

starlink

Himnotcool, goodness, this is getting even more interesting. I must have completely missed all this during my studies, probably because I followed (it was ages ago) the modern system. Most interesting and totally new in this forum (I think, but might be wrong). I would certainly write it as a separate article and add it to Ra's article so that you can add it to the Education Board, or otherwise maybe converse with Ra how you can integrade it into the first article as an appendix written by you.

Cheers, Starlink

aries

Hi Ray,
Thanks for the detailed info on the LOTS.

I have a quick question about the POF, what does it mean (if anything) when it is conjunct the Vertex of another person????

thanks, aries

natasa812

Congratulations Ra, I`ll need 3 days to understand this, but it is indeed very interesting. And I love Tina Turner. Whan I come with result, I`ll post.

4leafclovah

cassanra said:

I had this same problem . Astrodienst POF differs from that of the arabic parts calcultor.

natasa812

And which one we should take under concideration than? The Astrodients or the Arabic parts calculator? Currently, my P. Fortune is in my 8th, maybe we should give it a ``better place`` by any chance... :)

natasa812

Thank you Olivia, I`ll post the new position of my P. Fortune (if it changes)...
For now, I should expect a heirdom (P. Fortune in 8th), will see with the new position and if it tells anything different...
Best r
Natasa

natasa812

Dear Olivia, I think that we should start a new thread about P. Fortune.
Now, with my ``old`` natal, my P. Fortune is in my 8th. According to Arabic part calculator it is in 3rd and it ``fits`` more to my life. Here is the interpretation:

PART OF FORTUNE IN THIRD HOUSE.
You are most likely to find success and material advantage in fields that involve communications, writing, speaking, teaching, sales, computers, singing or song writing. You can benefit by short journeys so your occupation may involve travelling. NEGATIVE; Can indicate selfishness and self-seeking.

PART OF FORTUNE IN GEMINI
Success is procured through your own merits, intelligence and efforts, although you will make friends who will help you. It is a lucky position for a writer or a barrister and also for a politician.
In 10 Gemini the fortune will come more slowly because of your lack of self-confidence and fear of failure. You must learn to forge ahead and if the eleventh house is well aspected success will come and stay.
In 20 Gemini the position is even more favourable: progress in this case is bound to come.

It is acctualy in exact conj. with my IC - I acctualy work form home or I live in my working place (almost no distance at all). Work as a translator / court interpreter. So, everything fits...

With the old interpretation, I was soppose to expect heirdom for what I do not wish and it is not logical to expect. First, because I want everyone to live long, and second, because we all live long in our family (woman at least and they are the one having property - grandgrandma lived until 106...) and I wish my grandma to live at least that long since I adore her...
Thank you again Olivia, good point...
Best r
Natasa

Last edited:

Effie

Well, now it makes sense: my part of fortune is in libra in the first house (ascendant virgo) with Pluto in libra too in the ascendant and maybe this explains why I have always felt like libra, and I look like libra physically, and I exhibit strongly libra qualities and characteristics! FINALLY, the riddle has been solved, and it is funny because I was saying to somebody else from here I was talking with privately that I have never felt like virgo ascendant, and that I have always felt like libra (of course progressed ascendant is in libra for a long time now and progressed moon is getting ready to enter libra too). i wish I could calculate my lot of marriage but I am not good with math...

Thank you for taking the time to post all these! Excellent posts Ray!

natasa812

Dear Ra, with this new system, everything makes sence now. My 1th is in Scorpio now. The only thing that confuses me is should I calculate again my P. Fortune according to whole house system, or should I just leave it where it was?
Because, with Placidus, my old P.F. was in 8th. - and we make that house 1th now.
But, if I calculate my P.F. with Arabics, it is in 3rd. with whole system, my 3rd is in Taurus and with the old system (Placidus) it is in 3rd in Gemini...