Traditional Astrology Non-sticky Discussion Thread

Oddity

I'm really trying to understand this, Waybread. First, nobody said Sahl was an Arab. That he worked for Arabs during the Perso-Arabic (or Arabic, if you prefer) period is not in dispute.

Yet calling it the Arabic period after the language is in some way offensive to you because there were very few actually Arab astrologers? Or because there were astrologers of different ethnicities?

I think you're just trolling here.

Who said anything about "politically correct"? That's your perjorative term, not mine. It's also your huge knee-jerk reactivation point.

You go away, first.

waybread

I'm really trying to understand this, Waybread. First, nobody said Sahl was an Arab. That he worked for Arabs during the Perso-Arabic (or Arabic, if you prefer) period is not in dispute.

Yet calling it the Arabic period after the language is in some way offensive to you because there were very few actually Arab astrologers? Or because there were astrologers of different ethnicities?

I think you're just trolling here.

This is crazy-making Oddity. My whole point was that the generic term "Arab" is a misnomer. We can call people what they would have called themselves. No?

You know absolutely what I meant. If you're confused, just re-read my posts. Only this time, try not to get so reactivated and knee-jerk when I talk about being "sensitive." It's not a synonym for "politically correct" in your pejorative sense.

Language and nuances change over time. Like it or don't.

You know very well that 'm not trolling, and I find it despicable that you would use that term towards me simply because you dislike my posts. Surely you have some kind of intellectual argument to substitute for puerile name-calling.

JUPITERASC

This is crazy-making Oddity. My whole point was that the generic term "Arab" is a misnomer. We can call people what they would have called themselves. No?
You know absolutely what I meant. If you're confused, just re-read my posts. Only this time, try not to get so reactivated and knee-jerk when I talk about being "sensitive." It's not a synonym for "politically correct" in your pejorative sense.
Language and nuances change over time. Like it or don't.
You know very well that 'm not trolling, and I find it despicable that you would use that term towards me simply because you dislike my posts. Surely you have some kind of intellectual argument to substitute for puerile name-calling.
My point is that you're not an expert on the scope of traditional astrology
you didn't read the articles I linked on self-identified astrologers using the outers
as supplementary data points
and you are manifestly wrong
in concluding that
7 and only 7 planets are consistently used in traditional astrology.
you keep missing the gist WB
discuss modern outers as supplemenatry data points
BUT NOT ON THIS BOARD

it seems you have not read the rules of this board
you are posting on our traditional board
on which a moderator clearly states:
yet you fail to comprehend
that our traditional board excludes modern outers :smile:
and FURTHERMORE

this board is our traditional board
and

is a place where
modern outers as "supplementary data points"
are according to our traditional board rules - totally irrelevant
and I quote

08-19-2018, 05:49 PM
Osamenor
user_offline.gif

Senior Member, Moderator

***Please Read Before Posting On This Board***
This is the Traditional Astrology forum.
Out of all the different boards in this forum, this one
is the home for traditional astrologers.
It was created so that traditional astrologers
can discuss traditional astrology with each other
without having to justify it to non-traditionalists
or be interrupted by
people disagreeing with traditional perspectives.

If you are not a traditional astrologer, you are welcome as a guest. Good guests respect the rules of the house. In this house, the main rule is that all posts must stick to traditional astrology only. Please read the rest of this and make sure that everything you post here is strictly traditional. If your post is not traditional, it belongs on one of our other boards, not here.

Your post is not traditional if it includes any of the following:
- Pluto, Neptune, or Uranus.

Planets discovered with the telescope
are not used in traditional astrology.
If your post treats any of them as astrological planets
it belongs in either Modern Astrology
or any of the other boards.
If you want to post to ask why traditional astrologers don't use those planets
do so anywhere but this board or Modern Astrology
or search the other boards for an existing discussion on that.
It is not respectful
to come into someone's house
and demand why they don't do things your way.