Vedic vs western astrology

8thstellium

Hello All,
I beleive vedic aNd western both provide different ways of interpretation but at a time like now there will be a considerable difference...since most planets are in extremely good signs if we consider Western (Mars exalted in capricorn, Saturn in own house in capricorn etc) but in bad signs if we look at Vedic(saturn n mars in Sagittarius, mercury debilitated), how do you know which system is accurate to look at a chart for baby born around now?

What are the merits and demerits of each system?

Kindly post your thoughts.
Thanks.

muchacho

Hello All,
I beleive vedic aNd western both provide different ways of interpretation but at a time like now there will be a considerable difference...since most planets are in extremely good signs if we consider Western (Mars exalted in capricorn, Saturn in own house in capricorn etc) but in bad signs if we look at Vedic(saturn n mars in Sagittarius, mercury debilitated), how do you know which system is accurate to look at a chart for baby born around now?

What are the merits and demerits of each system?

Kindly post your thoughts.
Thanks.
Vedic astrology has a very elaborate system of calculating planetary strength. It's called shadbala (or six sources of strength). You won't find that in western astrology, even though traditional western astrology is familiar with most of the concepts used in shadbala calculations. What you are referring to is called uchchabala (strength by exaltation, i.e. the planets distance from its exaltation point) which accounts for maybe 5-10% of a planet's overall strength. So a planet exalted or debilitated in the birth chart (Rasi or D-1) doesn't really say much in terms of overall strength. This specific kind of strength is also only a part of a much larger chunk of planetary strength called sthanabala (positional strength) which overall may contribute about 40-50% of overall planetary strength. The main contributor to sthanabala is not the planet's position in the birth chart but the planet's position in the numerous divisional charts.

Also, in vedic astrology you never work with just one chart. You always work with at least 3 charts, usually more. So while the birth chart is important, what it indicates is only of actual significance if the same is also indicated in some of the other charts.

I think if you don't mix the two systems you may get both to work for you in some way. For some people vedic works better, for some western works better. I've seen a lot of excellent readings in both camps.