Aunt on Facebook

Dirius

That's it exactly. The whole black lives matter conversation, and movement, and everything going with it is asking people to adapt. Especially those who've managed to skate on race privilege and never think about it. It's hardest for (white) people who've never been made much aware of race privilege, let alone asked to confront it, before.

Luckily for me, I grew up with a racially mixed peer group, a family that welcomed people as friends no matter what race they were, and a mother who started talking to me about racial issues when I was 5. Exactly what the experts say it takes to raise a white child to be as non-racist as possible. But lots of white kids don't grow up that way. Including plenty of my extended family.

What is "race privilige" exactly Osa?

leomoon

I may not be responsible for someone else's opinion or action, but not countering helps give the impression that it's okay. Or that it's just a difference in political views. Black Lives Matter, and everything that's been happening to make it necessary, is much more serious than that.

Go with your conscience I always say.

The old saying has been around a long time., something like, "Silence is LOUDER then words". Some things I let pass, its not really important anyway,but others must be spoken up for in my world.

Good luck, its never easy.

waybread

Osamenor, in real life I tend to be outspoken.

Sometimes I have said things in a meeting or on-line forum-- not because I expected approval or acceptance-- but because it would be to the shame of the group if nobody expressed her conscience in this way.

Some people simply don't have a social conscience. Once they've made up their minds, they refuse to be persuaded otherwise.

But most people do care about their fellow human beings, but may simply be unaware of the background behind a perplexing current event. They are educable.

These people I think you can reach.

leomoon

Its also a funny thing to watch how different people can be especially during trying times as we are living through now. Since I don't have a close family any longer, I can't really identify as with family gatherings but I do have a close neighbor who I've rather adopted as a faux daughter in some ways.

She has 2 little children, a girl 6 and boy not yet one. From everything I've known of her in the 4 years or so I've known her, she is a lovely person. We differ in that she is religious and was brought up to go to church and indeed, its a big part of her life now. She never neglects inviting me especially on holidays, but I've not taken her up on it yet. Its not my thing....And I explained to her that if I did, I'd prefer the kind of church of my youth, (either Roman Catholic or Episcopalian), because of the music and liturgy that I'm more familiar with and comfortable with....

What did bother me quite a bit is that many people in my neighborhood and indeed a large swath of it, comes from the Midwest, or places like Iowa, Missouri, Michigan, the colder climes. My friend's husband from Missouri and she herself has a lot of family in Michigan although she was born here.

Point being, they are all Republicans so I try and avoid politics with her, but did speak up long ago when she mentioned the importance trump had on the economic fabric of the country, and I reminded her that that spiritual fabric is far more important when we claim to be followers of Christ.
I never made the claim first, actually she did and does often.

She knows how I feel, so perhaps avoids the subject moreso now, but I feel like its a huge black wall between us and it does make me sad.

I do think she's getting (hopefully), more disenchanted by him by the day, as the truth is revealed about his scams, cons, etc. She does have a black girlfriend from her church who brings her children over and it is helpful in some regard I'd think especially realizing what the Administration did to the migrant children on the border (thousands were never returned to their parents) and is still an opened sore. :pinched:

I figure if I continue to be exactly who and what I am, it will all work out in the wash in the end. I'd hate to lose someone who has so much potential and virtue as she has, imo. for some petty reason. :crying:

I'm the kind of person to "joke", but being Capricorn stellium, usually my jokes are tinged with truth. Perhaps, I'll tease her with one about putting her into the will.

There is no one else lately, so she may well be it. :unsure: My dream has always been to help organize within a community for foster children, because we do have quite a need in this country for their care (clothes, school things, etc)....but I"m getting rather old now and do have my husband and his desires to consider along the way.

So....we'll see how that goes.

Dirius

Osamenor, in real life I tend to be outspoken.

Sometimes I have said things in a meeting or on-line forum-- not because I expected approval or acceptance-- but because it would be to the shame of the group if nobody expressed her conscience in this way.

Some people simply don't have a social conscience. Once they've made up their minds, they refuse to be persuaded otherwise.

But most people do care about their fellow human beings, but may simply be unaware of the background behind a perplexing current event. They are educable.

These people I think you can reach.

Thats called "virtue signaling" :whistling:

noun
noun: virtue signaling

the action or practice of publicly expressing opinions or sentiments intended to demonstrate one's good character or the moral correctness of one's position on a particular issue.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

I know. But I'm not sure if it is that complicated.
Slavery existed in the world for thousands of years.
Xenophobia does exist.
But in modern society?
mostly isolated cases.
And slavery ended, thanks mostly to ... white people.

And I think we are now going rampart on what "racism" actually is. Lot of things are considered "racist" now, which were not 10 years ago.
We also can't expect everyone to immediatly adapt, just because young people want them to.
edit: I'm trying to stay on-topic, although its difficult because each subject is very related.
fact is that
despite being illegal in most nations
NEVERTHELESS
slavery is still present in several forms today.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_the_21st_century

CONTEMPORARY SLAVERY aka MODERN SLAVERY
refers to institutional slavery
that continues to occur in present-day society.
Estimates of the number of slaves today :smile:
range from around 21 million
to 46 million
depending on the method used to form the estimate
and the definition of slavery being used.
The estimated number of slaves is debated
there is no universally agreed definition of modern slavery
those in slavery are often difficult to identify
and adequate statistics unavailable.
INTERNATIONAL LABOUR ORGANIZATION
estimates by their definitions
that over 40 million people are in some form of slavery today.

Dirius

fact is that
despite being illegal in most nations
NEVERTHELESS
slavery is still present in several forms today.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_the_21st_century

Not the same Jup. Human traffic is indeed a problem in the world. But its not the same as lawful slavery, which existed for thousands of years.

The majority of the article's examples point to countries such as China and North Korea, as prime examples of were human traffic is exloited.

In the U.S. or Europe, human traffic is persecuted by law enforcement agencies, and there is no law supporting any form of slavery.

JUPITERASC

Not the same Jup.
Human traffic is indeed a problem in the world.
But its not the same as lawful slavery,
which existed for thousands of years.
The majority of the article's examples point to countries such as
China and North Korea, as prime examples
of were human traffic is exloited.
In the U.S. or Europe,
human traffic is persecuted by law enforcement agencies,
and there is no law supporting any form of slavery.
fact is
In 94 countries, a person cannot be prosecuted for
enslaving another human being.
This implicates almost half of all the world's countries :smile:
in potential breaches of the international obligation
to prohibit slavery. What's more
only 12 states appear to explicitly set out
a national definition of slavery that reflects the international one.
In most cases, this leaves it up to the courts
to interpret the meaning of slavery
and to do so in line with international law.
Some states use phrases such as

"....buying and selling human beings..."

which leaves out many of the powers of ownership
that might be exercised over a person in a case of contemporary slavery :smile:

and so
even in the countries
where slavery has been prohibited in criminal law,
only some situations of slavery have been made illegal :smile:

Dirius

fact is
In 94 countries, a person cannot be prosecuted for
enslaving another human being.
This implicates almost half of all the world's countries :smile:
in potential breaches of the international obligation
to prohibit slavery. What's more
only 12 states appear to explicitly set out
a national definition of slavery that reflects the international one.
In most cases, this leaves it up to the courts
to interpret the meaning of slavery
and to do so in line with international law.
Some states use phrases such as

"....buying and selling human beings..."

which leaves out many of the powers of ownership
that might be exercised over a person in a case of contemporary slavery :smile:

and so
even in the countries
where slavery has been prohibited in criminal law,
only some situations of slavery have been made illegal :smile:

Thats fair, but we are clearly talking about slavery in the U.S. in this topic (which is to what my original post refers to).

Slavery doesn't exist in the U.S. anymore. The few instances of Human traffic are persecuted by law enforcement agencies. Slavery is a criminal activity, not a sanctioned practice.

JUPITERASC

Thats fair, but we are clearly talking about slavery in the U.S. in this topic
(which is to what my original post refers to).
Slavery doesn't exist in the U.S. anymore.
The few instances of Human traffic
are persecuted by law enforcement agencies.
Slavery is a criminal activity, not a sanctioned practice.
there are widespread gaps in the prohibition of practices related to slavery
thus
although most countries
have undertaken legally-binding obligations
through international treaties
few have actually criminalized slavery, the slave trade
servitude, forced labor
or institutions and practices similar to slavery.
institutions such as for example
the US PRISON-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX
which imprisons more black men today
than were slaves in 1850 :smile:

US PRISON-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX
instead of capturing slaves and filling up plantations
forcing the enslaved to work

instead

via the "War on drugs"
captures "offendors"
and

fills up prisons
forcing the captured to work

nu_jack_slavery.jpg

Dirius

there are widespread gaps in the prohibition of practices related to slavery
thus
although most countries
have undertaken legally-binding obligations
through international treaties
few have actually criminalized slavery, the slave trade
servitude, forced labor
or institutions and practices similar to slavery.
institutions such as for example
the US PRISON-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX
which imprisons more black men today
than were slaves in 1850 :smile:

US PRISON-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX
instead of capturing slaves and filling up plantations
forcing the enslaved to work

instead

via the "War on drugs"
captures "offendors"
and

fills up prisons
forcing the captured to work

The issue with prisons is that there is no real solution.

The inmates work to support their own expenses: food, electricity, etc.

Otherwise should the tax.payer afford the bill? Someone kills another person, then goes to prison, and the tax-payers have to pay for this person? Doesn't seem fair.

To my understanding prisoners get a choice to either work or study. This also gives them an opportunity to earn money while they serve their sentence and reduce the time. If they were on the outside they would need to work anyways to support themselves.

Prison labour isn't slave labour. It also provides some inmates with skills and future job opportunities.

I agree the system can be abused for profit, and that needs handling - but there is no real solution.

JUPITERASC

The issue with prisons is that there is no real solution.
The inmates work to support their own expenses: food, electricity, etc.
Otherwise should the tax.payer afford the bill?
Someone kills another person, then goes to prison,
and the tax-payers have to pay for this person?
Doesn't seem fair.
To my understanding
prisoners get a choice to either work or study.
This also gives them an opportunity
to earn money while they serve their sentence and reduce the time.
If they were on the outside
they would need to work anyways to support themselves.
Prison labour isn't slave labour.
It also provides some inmates with skills and future job opportunities.
I agree the system can be abused for profit,
and that needs handling - but there is no real solution.
fact is
a loophole in the 13th amendment
allows for forcible work as punishment for crimes
so companies can profit :smile:
off of the 2.4 million people in prison

Dirius

and/or

if black resident USA :smile:

because
USA is home to 4% of worlds population
and yet

USA is home to 25% of worlds prison population
let that sink in

Trevor Breaks Down Reparations & White Privilege :smile:
- Between the Scenes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVa-HAsB-xQ

Well you know how easy it is to avoid jail or arrest in other continents aside from the U.S? Particularly South America or Africa?

Here you can avoid arrest with a $300 USD bribe. Judges, law enforcement, district attorneys, politicians, etc. are all corrupt. There is a tendency here that inmates are released ahead of time, only serving like 1/5 of their sentence, and most of the time commit more crimes, multiple crimes. It is a terrible system base on corruption and an inept police force, which leaves regular citizens to fend for themselves at the hands of criminals. Many of these countries are outright "failed states", where there is no law, and criminals have free reign over anything.

Other countries have lower crime rates and thus less incarceration.

Some countries, like mine have high crime rates, with low incarceration.

The fact that there are so many incarcerations in the U.S. is a testament that the police are doing their jobs. Not the other way around. Be happy criminals are put away, unlike here were criminals just walk free, all the time.

Don't believe me? try living in a cartel controlled city in Mexico for a couple of weeks - see how much you'll begin to appreciate U.S. police forces.

Last edited:

aquarius7000

and/or

if black resident USA :smile:

because
USA is home to 4% of worlds population
and yet

USA is home to 25% of worlds prison population
let that sink in
And how this spreads across the various communities, especially since blacks and minority communities are often decried as criminals, is very telling and eye opening.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u....016/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-3.xls

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2016/crime-in-the-u.s.-2016/topic-pages/tables/table-21

And this when incarcerations of blacks/ minorities is much higher.

"African Americans are incarcerated in state prisons across the country at more than five times the rate of whites, and at least ten times the rate in five states. This report documents the rates of incarceration for whites, African Americans, and Hispanics in each state, identifies three contributors to racial and ethnic disparities in imprisonment, and provides recommendations for reform."

https://www.sentencingproject.org/p...racial-and-ethnic-disparity-in-state-prisons/

katydid

And how this spreads across the various communities, especially since blacks and minority communities are often decried as criminals, is very telling and eye opening.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u....016/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-3.xls

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2016/crime-in-the-u.s.-2016/topic-pages/tables/table-21

And this when incarcerations of blacks/ minorities is much higher.

"African Americans are incarcerated in state prisons across the country at more than five times the rate of whites, and at least ten times the rate in five states. This report documents the rates of incarceration for whites, African Americans, and Hispanics in each state, identifies three contributors to racial and ethnic disparities in imprisonment, and provides recommendations for reform."

https://www.sentencingproject.org/p...racial-and-ethnic-disparity-in-state-prisons/

Are you implying that the cops just arrest blacks more often for no reason?

That there really isn't more crime in the inner city, the cops just go there and arrest black people because of racism?

911 gets calls from crime scenes and officers are dispatched where the crimes are occurring. The gangs in low income areas are very violent and commit a lot of crimes. Armed robberies, car jackings, rapes, etc.

The racial and ethnic disparities in imprisonment come from the high crime rate, not from racism by cops.

david starling

Are you implying that the cops just arrest blacks more often for no reason?

That there really isn't more crime in the inner city, the cops just go there and arrest black people because of racism?

911 gets calls from crime scenes and officers are dispatched where the crimes are occurring. The gangs in low income areas are very violent and commit a lot of crimes. Armed robberies, car jackings, rapes, etc.

The racial and ethnic disparities in imprisonment come from the high crime rate, not from racism by cops.

The "War on Drugs" is a war on people most likely to be arrested and victimized by bad cops. The suburbs are safe-zones for illegal drug use, but in the inner cities, drug users are hunted like animals and treated like dirt. The cops go there to make their "quota" for arrests.