Is it true traditional astrologers exclude modern planets?

david starling

Aquarius7000, apart from people whom I routinely tune out on the grounds that rational conversation with them is impossible, I actually read what people write. It is entirely possible that what people write is open to interpretations that they didn't intend. In which case a reasonable response to an off-target interpretation is to return to the initial comment and to explain it more clearly.

I could certainly go back through this thread and excavate verbatim your personal attacks on me and on modern astrology, but that would be far too tedious.

Let's just say that anyone who dishes out hard comments has to be prepared to take them in return. If you find some aspect of modern astrology to be rubbish, of course you are entitled to your opinion, but then it is only fair play to anticipate modern astrologers responding in kind.

I've been traveling for 10 days, just now home. Most of this time I had little or no Internet so I've tried to catch up with this thread quickly, when and how I could. If I didn't respond to everyone's liking, I will just have to live with it.

BTW, I have tried to answer a number of your specific questions about modern astrology. I don't know if my answers caught your attention.

As I have indicated multiple times, modern astrology is my stock-in-trade, but I have tried to educate myself about the outlines of traditional astrology. If you see how I read horary charts, you'll get some idea of my progress. So no, I do not find traditional astrology in any way disturbing-- just the assault on modern astrology.

Just tonight, in fact, I said that I thought Benjamin Dyke's more conciliatory approach to modern astrologers in his book, Traditional Astrology for Today, suggests that our main differences are ones of emphasis. Wouldn't you agree?

Waybread, you're making too much sense. :wink:

david starling

Some Trads actually believe they're living in the Past, while some Mods actually believe themselves to be living in the Future. :andy:

Last edited:

muchacho

I clearly remember the excitement and amazement of being able to see the interconnections for the first time. I've been hooked on Astrology ever since. There's an inner-vision that goes along with the with the outer-vision, and connecting those is what it's all about for me.
In order to really understand this, it takes some kind of mystical experience. That will put you into this larger context Cap is pointing to. Unfortunately, the intellect can't go there. It has to be left behind.

muchacho

Oddity,

I have great respect for you and your attitude towards astrology and it's practitioners.

Until very very recently, I have not had any issues with traditional astrologers. I have tried to learn as much as I could because it has fascinated me. Robert Hand was my favorite astrologer back in the day, and I watched him make that transition and it intrigued me.

The only reason I posted that kind of snarky question is that , quite recently, there have been a few members here being very rude and condescending towards modern astro. Calling it improper, unsubstantial, vague, etc etc. I do take it to heart and it bothers me that they think they are so superior when it is not that cut and dry.

I would rather we co-exist amicably, but I don't see how that can happen as long as modern astro is being called out unfairly and criticized so harshly. :bandit:

I am sorry Oddity, to offend you because it is not what I meant to do. You have always been very respectful and I appreciate that... :pouty:
What this thread is actually about is our core beliefs, how we see the world, our basic ontology. Those beliefs determine how we approach astrology. That's why these discussions get so heated.

david starling

In order to really understand this, it takes some kind of mystical experience. That will put you into this larger context Cap is pointing to. Unfortunately, the intellect can't go there. It has to be left behind.

The intellect thinks it's in the lead, directing the whole parade of experience. But, it's really bringing up the rear.

JUPITERASC

Some Trads actually believe they're living in the Past,

while some Mods actually believe themselves to be living in the Future.
:andy:
The intellect thinks it's in the lead, directing the whole parade of experience.
But, it's really bringing up the rear.
-exact-colour-red-exact-colour-size-m-size--18849-p.jpg

JUPITERASC

Ignoring Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto
is the same as ignoring germs on your hands because you can't see them.
Only if you equate stars with germs, Leo.
Exactly
Well, I was making an analogy.

The point is, just because you can’t see something
or if it’s never been practiced before
doesn’t it should be shoved under the rug as ********.
clearly participators on this thread
responded to your question reasonably
i.e.

And no one is saying you shouldn't.
We just said why trads do not use them.

You are free to do what you like.

I wish I could engage in this conversation,
but I'm too lazy to read the blocks of text.

Quite :smile:
People who don't acknowledge the outer planets
are like people who don't acknowledge germs
because you can't see them

I refer to you to answers already provided :smile:
and remind you
that

Modernist astrologers ignore objects in the Kuiper Belt
that are larger than planetoid pluto

david starling

The small tip of the iceberg, that can be seen, is the signal that the invisible part, which can sink a ship, is looming below. Meaning, the visible is important, but not to the extent of making the invisible, inconsequential.

Last edited:

muchacho

It makes more sense to me that the discovery of the outers coincides with the roll out of various new technologies, developments, etc.

Why would Mercury be computer technology instead of Uranus?
Computer technology mimics the nervous system (hardware) and intellect (software).

muchacho

Computer technology makes "drawing" Charts less personal. Instead of doing the calculations ourselves from the ephemeris, and filling in the Chart positions using pencils and pens, we can just print them out. If Traditionalists are still drawing them by hand, that would be very cool!
Sometimes, I do draw them by hand. It makes you understand the chart a lot betterer. I highly recommend it with charts that really matter.

JUPITERASC

The small tip of the iceberg, that can be seen, is the signal
that the invisible part, which can sink a ship, is looming below.
Meaning, the visible is important, but not to the extent of
making the invisible, inconsequential.
Nevertheless
Modernist astrologers continue to ignore :smile:
object in the Kuiper Belt
that is larger than planetoid pluto

muchacho

Modern psychological and transpersonal astrology has helped astrology be relevant in the modern world. There is no doubt about that, but there is also a place for the traditional branch.

The next step in bringing astrology up to date is to adopt a Sidereal Zodiac, this will make it more acceptable to scientifically educated people.

One of the main criticisms of astrology by scientists is the lack correspondence of signs and constellations due to axial precession of the Earth.
I don't think traditional astrology itself is the issue here. It's fine as it is. And it can be as psychological or transpersonal as modern astrology. The issue is more about the mindset with which some neo-trads approach traditional astrology, which doesn't allow for much leg room.

JUPITERASC

The issue is more about the mindset
with which some neo-trads approach traditional astrology
which doesn't allow for much leg room.

TRADITIONAL = of or pertaining to tradition. handed down by tradition.
in accordance with tradition.

NEO is a Greek word = New; recent :smile:New and different
Greek, from neos, new, young

david starling

TRADITIONAL = of or pertaining to tradition. handed down by tradition.
in accordance with tradition.

NEO is a Greek word = New; recent :smile:New and different
Greek, from neos, new, young

The MOVEMENT to RESTORE many of the Traditional techniques and attitudes that are not being used by most Western, present-day Astrologers is relatively new. Much research and translation was necessary in this worthwhile effort. It wasn't "handed down" to the Modern era, because orthodox Tradition was driven into near extinction for nearly 3 hundred years, before a group of Modern Astrologers began restoring it in the late 20th Century. By now, I think enough research has been done to merit the term "Traditionalists" without requiring a prefix to qualify it.

david starling

Cyril Fagan was an earlier "Restorationist" for a Western version of Sidereal Astrology, and was steeped in research into Ancient Babylonian Astrology.
Since Tropicalism, whether Traditional or Modern, has been called into question because of Precession of the Equinox, I'll make two comments about that: First, Siderealism uses A star, not the unequal-length constellations, to locate its equal-length Signs. For example, Fagan used Spica for that purpose. Others use Aldebaran. Now, since our Sun is a star as well, I see nothing amiss with using our close star, the Sun, for that purpose; and, the relationship of Earth's axial tilt relative to the Earth-Sun orbital plane that is the plane of the Zodiac itself, seems like a perfectly acceptable way to set the Sign boundaries. Second, around 2300 B.C.E., when the Babylonian Constellational imagery was first recorded, there was a seasonal correspondence to the imagery, using Heliacal reckoning. Which means, Tropicalism, with Signs corresponding to the Seasons, is entitled to use those as well.
The only question then, is whether Northern hemispheric, seasonally-based imagery, both original-Babylonian and Greco-Roman (with imagery adapted from the Babylonian), is appropriate for use in the Southern Hemisphere, where the Seasons are in reverse order. Dirius seems to think so.

JUPITERASC

The MOVEMENT to RESTORE many of the Traditional techniques and attitudes that are not being used by most Western, present-day Astrologers is relatively new. Much research and translation was necessary in this worthwhile effort. It wasn't "handed down" to the Modern era, because orthodox Tradition was driven into near extinction for nearly 3 hundred years, before a group of Modern Astrologers began restoring it in the late 20th Century. By now, I think enough research has been done to merit the term "Traditionalists" without requiring a prefix to qualify it.
Traditional astrology continues in accordance with tradition
rooted in VISIBLE LIGHT of seven VISIBLE classical planets :smile:
as well as eclipses, Fixed Stars

Michael

Cyril practiced modern astrology, using techniques such as solar and lunar returns, transits and progresssions. He was a scholar too, so his craft had some traditional underpinnings. It's to be expected, since in the 20th century almost no astrologer did traditional. He was friends with CEO Carter.

His ayanamsha used Spica (29° Virgo) at first, but then with Bradley developed a better version (corrected to 29°06 Virgo) referring to it as the SVP (Synetic Vernal Point), where Aldebaran and Antares are almost at 15° Taurus and Scorpio. This is close to the original Babylonian calculations according to Huber.

I have to clarify he was not a traditional astrologer. There were very few (if any) in his time.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Cyril Fagan was an earlier "Restorationist" for a Western version of Sidereal Astrology, and was steeped in research into Ancient Babylonian Astrology.
Since Tropicalism, whether Traditional or Modern, has been called into question because of Precession of the Equinox, I'll make two comments about that: First, Siderealism uses A star, not the unequal-length constellations, to locate its equal-length Signs. For example, Fagan used Spica for that purpose. Others use Aldebaran. Now, since our Sun is a star as well, I see nothing amiss with using our close star, the Sun, for that purpose; and, the relationship of Earth's axial tilt relative to the Earth-Sun orbital plane that is the plane of the Zodiac itself, seems like a perfectly acceptable way to set the Sign boundaries. Second, around 2300 B.C.E., when the Babylonian Constellational imagery was first recorded, there was a seasonal correspondence to the imagery, using Heliacal reckoning. Which means, Tropicalism, with Signs corresponding to the Seasons, is entitled to use those as well.
The only question then, is whether Northern hemispheric, seasonally-based imagery, both original-Babylonian and Greco-Roman (with imagery adapted from the Babylonian), is appropriate for use in the Southern Hemisphere, where the Seasons are in reverse order. Dirius seems to think so.
The fact is Traditional astrological principles
are based on LIGHT
and VISIBILITY :smile: