Hi all! Can some answer my question about co rulers?

JUPITERASC

Why should Neptune have just one domicile?!
as it's all experimental unreliable guesswork
Neptune may have
and does have
as many "domiciles" as Modernist astrologers choose for Neptune to allegedly have
because in fact
Neptune has no universally agreed domicile amongst Modernist astrologers
:smile:

IN CONTRAST

for at least two thousand years
traditional astrology has agreed VISIBLE planetary domiciles

JUPITERASC

Why should Neptune have just one domicile?!
It has 2, like all planets.
And it has one exaltation, in Aquarius.
This is science.
modernist astrology "science"
has FAILED to present their MODERNIST ESSENTIAL DIGNITIES TABLE
reconciling modern invisible planetary claimed "domiciles"
with the two thousand year old accepted visible planetary domiciles and exaltations

ESSENTIAL DIGNITIES TABLE - TRADITIONAL
dignities-essential-ptolemic-lilly-table2.gif

Arena

Hi Athena, well I have in the beginning when I started learning astrology. I'm still new ofcourse and still need help but I noticed somethings are not adding up so that is why I am looking at co-rulers.

What is it that is not adding up, where are the holes you speak about?
May I see your chart, and could you please state what you think is "off"?

I did also feel that way some time back, but I think I kinda found ways to understand better. Maybe it can help you as well.

muchacho

How can you make a distinction like that? The sky didn't change from 3000 years ago, the fact "modern astrology" uses more planets doesn't mean they weren't there already 3000 years ago... uh. Astrology works even without rulerships because you don't actually really NEED them for a reading, there are many more things to consider; this doesn't mean they don't count. It just means you can leave them out, because if you apply them wrongly then it's better to not apply those at all.

I didn't say "classical astrology" says Neptune is exalted in Aquarius because I don't even know what classical astrology is, and if you mean tradition... uuh. Neptune was discovered in the 1800 so I doubt "classical astrology" knew of it.

But if tradition misses all the pieces, by your reasoning, the new objects are new pieces left there alone~ where's the sense in this?

Why should Neptune have just one domicile?! It has 2, like all planets. And it has one exaltation, in Aquarius. This is science.
What kind of science is this? The rulership scheme is based on sacred geometry, not science. It has more in common with music and art than with what we call science today.

The planets, including the outers, are part of a higher order and harmony of the spheres. Seen from a geometry point of view, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto have indeed their place in astrology, the outers actually mirror the relationships of the inner planets in terms of certain ratios.

Also, you need rulerships for calculation of planetary strength and auspiciousness. We can't calculate that for the outers (yet). I'm not saying it is impossible but it would require an entirely new rulership scheme. Also, the traditional branches of astrology (western and eastern) are so rich in techniques that you wouldn't actually need the outers.

JUPITERASC

EXCEPT
the purported "new rulership scheme" DOES NOT respect the rule that
TRADITIONALLY planets are clearly visible in night skies to normal vision, without artificial aids
such as telescopes, binoculars, billion dollar hubble telescopes et al

furthermore
you said:

Astrology works even without rulerships
because you don't actually really NEED them for a reading,

the reality is
Modernist astrology IS UNABLE TO agree on rulerships of Modernist planets
:smile:
So saying "this is the new rulership scheme" is misleading
because it is a scheme not accepted amongst Modernists themselves

No, the traditional scheme wasn't based on sacred geometry, but you can say that if you've read it somewhere without never analyzing it, actually. Many things (planets) are placed following "a posteriori" approach, that is, including the planets in a place where they'd seem to make more sense (I'm talking about exaltations). Sacred geometry couldn't be applied in extent to the scheme because it was missing the outer planets.
Now that we have them,
we can work them out,
following logic,
following tradition.
nothing was "missing"
traditional logical astrological rationale involves seven VISIBLE planets
and obviously
simple logic
clearly excludes any number of "new" INVISIBLE planets

by your reasoning,
the new objects are new pieces left there alone~
where's the sense in this?
"the new objects" are invisible :smile:
so
clearly are irrelevant to traditional astrology of "SEVEN VISIBLE PLANETS"

JUPITERASC

Uranus is visible to the naked eye,
but since it's not as bright as the other planets,
it's never been considered like a planet.
with solely naked eye vision Uranus is rarely if ever visible
hence
not "discovered" until recently when telescopes made it noticeable

Vedic astrology always considered two invisible planets, in its tradition.
I don't see you making a fuss out of Vedic astrology.
BECAUSE

The two invisible planets in vedic astrology are Rahu and Ketu :smile:
And there's no rulership assigned to Rahu and Ketu.
so
the Vedic "invisble planets" are actually the Nodes

There's never been a rule about "naked eye planets".
Classical Astrology is acknowledged as
the study of the seven VISIBLE naked eye planets

There's not such a thing as "modernist astrology"; the meanings of the symbols are left unvaried,
the newly discovered objects acquire a meaning according to the previously established astrology tradition; of course, this puts us in the condition to understand better what the "old objects" actually meant, and often this will mean to alter the previously established characters that are now symbolized by the correct object.

Ptolemy changed "the tradition" 2000 years ago, revolutionizing many things that were taken for granted 'till back then, do you still even consider Sirius and comets in your readings? That would be very traditional, you know.

In Italy "the modernists" apply the scheme I presented you. It includes two more planets that we still haven't seen, even though we are in 2017 and we can use such potent instruments and fly on Mars,... but we still don't know most of our solar system, like we still don't know so much of anything. One of those two planets counted in what I like to call "logical tradition", was mathematically traced, we're just waiting for the "revelation" now : )

Don't you think that even what you can't see has an influence on everything?
This is a very "psychological" point. But like those planets, psychology only was discovered in the last centuries. I'm not hoping you're that updated.

This is everything astrology is about, revealing, which means "unfolding", discovering. When we have the pieces in the right place, when we discover them, we're ready to give them a name.
traditional astrology is based on the study of the seven VISIBLE planets
because
those seven VISIBLE planets are clearly VISIBLE naked eye vision

[deleted attacking comments - Moderator]

Last edited:

Cupid Arrow

What is it that is not adding up, where are the holes you speak about?
May I see your chart, and could you please state what you think is "off"?

I did also feel that way some time back, but I think I kinda found ways to understand better. Maybe it can help you as well.

I can inbox you my chart.

Cupid Arrow

You're right on everything and I'm endlessly sorry I use Uranus Neptune and Pluto in my readings, I won't do it anymore.

(This wasn't a thread about CLASSICAL WESTERN TRADITION, and if it ever was the girl's request was about the Uranus placement, nevertheless. I didn't make anything up, your knowledges are just biased. Now, seriously, stop following me around the forum to try relate all I say to "tradition" because if you don't bring me valid points I absolutely have no more interest to answer you)

I gave an example.. Actually I'm looking at all the planets. Mars as co ruler for Scorpio. My sun is in Virgo but Leo rules the ninth house but its in the tenth etc. I'm trying to see what planets fit and what doesn't. I spoken to an experienced astrologer on this forum that used co ruler of my third house and he was spot on with the relationship I have with my sibling.

Cupid Arrow

https://anewastrology.wordpress.com/2017/02/25/the-structure-of-the-zodiac-2-exaltations-and-motion/

This is the new rulership scheme, it respects every rule.
No, the traditional scheme wasn't based on sacred geometry, but you can say that if you've read it somewhere without never analyzing it, actually. Many things (planets) are placed following "a posteriori" approach, that is, including the planets in a place where they'd seem to make more sense (I'm talking about exaltations). Sacred geometry couldn't be applied in extent to the scheme because it was missing the outer planets. Now that we have them, we can work them out, following logic, following tradition. Check out my blog.

Is this YOUR website? Why wouldn't * Mercury be exalted in Virgo? In Scorpio, I think that would be determent unless Scorpio knows how to control that energy. I have Mercury conjunct Pluto and trust me, its hard. Its as if I have a Scorpio Mercury.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Is this YOUR website?
Why wouldn't Virgo be exalted in Virgo?
In Scorpio, I think that would be determent unless Scorpio knows how to control that energy.
I have Mercury conjunct Pluto and trust me, its hard. Its as if I have a Scorpio Mercury.
Mercurys Detriment and Fall is traditional PISCES
You mean Mercury?
Yes, it's exalted in Scorpio, why should it have two places in the same sign?
If you exalt it in Scorpio you'll find all the other planets correct placements too.
Mercury and Pluto are supposed to cooperate very well,
one is the deeper drive(Pluto) and the other is the brain processes (Mercury),
they give great results with the Scorpio machiavellian nature. I'm not too surprised to learn it's hard to handle those,
a conj is always an ambiguous aspect, and it is more sensitive to all the other transits;
and no wonder that conjunction gives you a Scorpion nature then,
they're two "dig in and dig out" forces,
definitely straining to have if not supported by other good elements in the chart, nevertheless, very creative.

Yes that's my blog, I need to work on it, doing it slow :)

the fact is
modernist astrology constantly fails to present
ANY
MODERNIST ESSENTIAL DIGNITIES TABLE

reconciling modern invisible planetary claimed "domiciles"
with the two thousand year old accepted
visible planetary domiciles and exaltations

ESSENTIAL DIGNITIES TABLE - TRADITIONAL

dignities-essential-ptolemic-lilly-table2.gif

Cupid Arrow

You mean Mercury? Yes, it's exalted in Scorpio, why should it have two places in the same sign? If you exalt it in Scorpio you'll find all the other planets correct placements too.
Mercury and Pluto are supposed to cooperate very well, one is the deeper drive(Pluto) and the other is the brain processes (Mercury), they give great results with the Scorpio machiavellian nature. I'm not too surprised to learn it's hard to handle those, a conj is always an ambiguous aspect, and it is more sensitive to all the other transits; and no wonder that conjunction gives you a Scorpion nature then, they're two "dig in and dig out" forces, definitely straining to have if not supported by other good elements in the chart, nevertheless, very creative.

Yes that's my blog, I need to work on it, doing it slow :)

Well its exalted in Virgo at 15°… I dont have a Mercury Virgo but I'm sure there is a reason for this.. or research as to why its exalted in Virgo.

tripleooo

Personally I am definitely on the side of traditional astrology. The system moonris3 stands for makes no sense to me and most probably to a lot of people as well. The essential dignities (the main ones specifically) is the theme that I’ve been interested in for a long time and have gathered quite a lot of knowledge about it. I’m not an expert on natal astrology and only learning, but I’m pretty sure that I could debate every newly assigned (by this theory) exaltation and explain for what reasons the new ones just do not work.

It looks like a completely wild idea to think that Mercury is in exaltation in Scorpio because Scorpio and Virgo glyphs look similar. I do think they look rather similar but do you have any evidence that they indeed were confused by the ancient astrologers? I doubt it, and your assumptions (it’s probably not yours but you still use it to validate your opinion) do not count for an argument since you clearly cannot prove them.

It’s also unbelievable to think that this system really works because it creates the holes that it cannot fill. I’m talking about the fact that this theory states that in order for it to work there have to exist 2 other planets, X and Y respectively for now, to make it complete. Where are these planets then? If they are not discovered how can you create a theory that actively incorporates them? What if they… just do not exist? You really want them to but they cannot appear at your will. If they do not exist, this theory seems to crumble. And even if they do, it doesn’t make any sense to discuss them as for now they are just a figment of your imagination and nothing else.

Then, what does “weaker” and “stronger” domiciles even mean? If we take Venus, for example, it rules both Taurus and Libra and neither of them is weaker or stronger than the other! Yes, they do function rather differently but it was well explained in traditional astrology as diurnal and nocturnal rulership. The diurnal rulership (Libra) is the active masculine energy, while the nocturnal rulership (Taurus) is the passive feminine energy.

Another point that seemed really weird in your explanation is how you say that the opposite of the Moon is… Uranus? How is this even possible? The opposite of the Moon is Saturn, which seems pretty logical considering that the Moon’s rulership Cancer is opposite to the Saturn’s rulership Capricorn on the zodiac circle. If we think this way, then again, the argument you “provided” in your explanation seems to be really flawed, once again making me question how reasonable (or unreasonable to be more correct) this system seems to be.

And finally I am the kind of person that just does not think that the outer planets can potentially have any rulership over a specific sign. I cannot argue with the fact that the outer planets do matter, their aspects to other planets and their positions in houses have an influence which is often really important but their position in sign isn’t that important at all, at least for a specific individual. These planets are generational meaning that they move really slowly and stay in the same sign for an entire generation so does this imply that on some level some generation is able to function better that the other? They sure have a certain effect on generations but this effect cannot be evaluated objectively for a specific person. Based on the logic that Uranus, Neptune and Pluto right now have shared rulership with other planets, you suppose that every sign has to be ruled by two planets. But what if the idea that these planets can have any sort of rulership in itself is questionable? The idea of rulerships is that generally they bring out the best of the sign. For example, Jupiter manages to stream Pisces’ dreaminess and compassion into developing high morals and becoming a friend to all people but what does Neptune in Pisces do exactly? Does it help to bring the best of Pisces to the world? Neptune may share some qualities with the sign of Pisces but in no way does it imply that Neptune is the most fitting position for it to be in. The same goes for Uranus and Pluto.

Now, about the exaltation of Mercury… It’s strange to think that Scorpio is a really good placement for Mercury to be in. Scorpio above all is extremely emotional and Mercury doesn’t feel comfortable in this plane. Mercury is an absolutely rational planet, not interested in the emotional nature of people at all, so with impulsive fire signs and emotional water signs it just cannot be as powerful as with signs of earth and air. (I’m talking only about Mercury’s position in signs, obviously, if a person has a brilliant Mercury placement but has a lot of hard aspects to it or has it positioned in a bad house, it can cause many inconveniences and troubles). Mercury in Scorpio is an investigator, someone who always wants to get below the surface and get to the truth, but its interest is mostly emotionally driven. Gemini, on the other hand, is driven mostly by curiosity, while Virgo overall feels most comfortable dealing with details. Scorpios will learn the truth and get emotional satisfaction from it, while Gemini’s and Virgo’s satisfaction will be purely mental. If Scorpios were given a large amount of details and numbers, they would just get frustrated. Scorpio’s nature is not mentally-based or mentally-oriented at all. Moreover, for what reason would you consider Taurus to be the sign of Mercury’s fall?

Then we should remember what exaltation means. While planets in domicile are free to do whatever they want, planets in exaltation have certain expectations from others and have to fit them. They are not as free as they would want to be but they still manage to do their work surprisingly well. To be honest, it makes sense why Virgo among all other signs would have the only domicile + exaltation combination. Virgo is the sign that generally tends to worry about everything and for that reason, in my opinion, Virgo cannot fully embrace Mercury’s rulership but instead of making things worse, it actually makes them better. Mercury can set its own goals when in Virgo but it has to prove its dignity by actually doing something and applying its knowledge to the physical world. While often Mercury in Gemini gathers up knowledge for no particular reason, Mercury in Virgo always has a reason, yet keeps its mind very flexible and adaptable (mutable sign). Mercury here makes its own rules for itself to bounce off of them and makes a great job at it. It never loses focus and manages details better than anyone else.

Look at the opposite sign, Pisces. Pisces abhors details and analysis, it functions a lot better using intuition and empathy. Discriminating words if often a big challenge for a person with his Mercury in Pisces as the level at which it’s thinking is not operating on the verbal basis, so obviously communicating is more often than not a big problem for such Mercury. And communication is the most important way that Mercury manifests in the real world, while planets in fall are the ones most frustrated with the practical implementation of their energy. People with Mercury in Taurus are definitely not the people who have the most trouble at speaking, while for people with Mercury in Pisces that is an extremely common problem. When a planet is in detriment, it tends to understand its role wrongly and on that basis make wrong decisions, while when it is in fall, it can understand what it’s supposed to do but fail when matters require real-world application. To understand something, however, you need to analyze it and Mercury is the main planet dealing with analysis. So Mercury in Pisces feels that something is wrong with the way it expresses itself and it tries to find what is wrong but when it tries to analyze it, its priorities do not let it. Mercury’s priorities in Pisces are set wrong: synthesis over analysis, which gets Mercury trapped in a vicious circle of misunderstanding both from itself and the outside world.

I don't know if I would read such a long post myself, but if you did, thanks. :smile: Any feedback is appeciated.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Personally I am definitely on the side of traditional astrology.
The system moonris3 stands for makes no sense to me and most probably to a lot of people as well.
The essential dignities (the main ones specifically) is the theme that I’ve been interested in for a long time
and have gathered quite a lot of knowledge about it.
I’m not an expert on natal astrology and only learning,
but I’m pretty sure that I could debate every newly assigned (by this theory) exaltation
and explain for what reasons the new ones just do not work.

It looks like a completely wild idea
to think that Virgo is in exaltation in Scorpio
because Scorpio and Virgo glyphs look similar.

I do think they look rather similar
but do you have any evidence that they indeed were confused
by the ancient astrologers?
I doubt it, and your assumptions
(it’s probably not yours but you still use it to validate your opinion)
do not count for an argument since you clearly cannot prove
them.
Using that line of reasoning IS wild, I agree :smile:
and
unproveable as well
no proof offered in fact

virgoglyph.jpg
scorpio-glyph.jpg

JUPITERASC

It’s also unbelievable to think that this system really works because it creates the holes that it cannot fill.
I’m talking about the fact that this theory states
that in order for it to work there have to exist 2 other planets,
X and Y respectively for now, to make it complete.

Where are these planets then?
If they are not discovered how can you create a theory that actively incorporates them?
What if they… just do not exist?

You really want them to but they cannot appear at your will.
If they do not exist, this theory seems to crumble.
And even if they do,
it doesn’t make any sense to discuss them
as for now they are just a figment of your imagination and nothing else.
well said :smile:

JUPITERASC

Then, what does “weaker” and “stronger” domiciles even mean? If we take Venus, for example, it rules both Taurus and Libra and neither of them is weaker or stronger than the other! Yes, they do function rather differently but it was well explained in traditional astrology as diurnal and nocturnal rulership. The diurnal rulership (Libra) is the active masculine energy, while the nocturnal rulership (Taurus) is the passive feminine energy.

Another point that seemed really weird in your explanation is how you say that the opposite of the Moon is… Uranus? How is this even possible? The opposite of the Moon is Saturn, which seems pretty logical considering that the Moon’s rulership Cancer is opposite to the Saturn’s rulership Capricorn on the zodiac circle. If we think this way, then again, the argument you “provided” in your explanation seems to be really flawed, once again making me question how reasonable (or unreasonable to be more correct) this system seems to be.

And finally I am the kind of person that just does not think that the outer planets can potentially have any rulership over a specific sign. I cannot argue with the fact that the outer planets do matter, their aspects to other planets and their positions in houses have an influence which is often really important but their position in sign isn’t that important at all, at least for a specific individual. These planets are generational meaning that they move really slowly and stay in the same sign for an entire generation so does this imply that on some level some generation is able to function better that the other? They sure have a certain effect on generations but this effect cannot be evaluated objectively for a specific person. Based on the logic that Uranus, Neptune and Pluto right now have shared rulership with other planets, you suppose that every sign has to be ruled by two planets. But what if the idea that these planets can have any sort of rulership in itself is questionable? The idea of rulerships is that generally they bring out the best of the sign. For example, Jupiter manages to stream Pisces’ dreaminess and compassion into developing high morals and becoming a friend to all people but what does Neptune in Pisces do exactly? Does it help to bring the best of Pisces to the world? Neptune may share some qualities with the sign of Pisces but in no way does it imply that Neptune is the most fitting position for it to be in. The same goes for Uranus and Pluto.

Now, about the exaltation of Mercury… It’s strange to think that Scorpio is a really good placement for Mercury to be in. Scorpio above all is extremely emotional and Mercury doesn’t feel comfortable in this plane. Mercury is an absolutely rational planet, not interested in the emotional nature of people at all, so with impulsive fire signs and emotional water signs it just cannot be as powerful as with signs of earth and air. (I’m talking only about Mercury’s position in signs, obviously, if a person has a brilliant Mercury placement but has a lot of hard aspects to it or has it positioned in a bad house, it can cause many inconveniences and troubles). Mercury in Scorpio is an investigator, someone who always wants to get below the surface and get to the truth, but its interest is mostly emotionally driven. Gemini, on the other hand, is driven mostly by curiosity, while Virgo overall feels most comfortable dealing with details. Scorpios will learn the truth and get emotional satisfaction from it, while Gemini’s and Virgo’s satisfaction will be purely mental. If Scorpios were given a large amount of details and numbers, they would just get frustrated. Scorpio’s nature is not mentally-based or mentally-oriented at all. Moreover, for what reason would you consider Taurus to be the sign of Mercury’s fall?

Then we should remember what exaltation means. While planets in domicile are free to do whatever they want, planets in exaltation have certain expectations from others and have to fit them. They are not as free as they would want to be but they still manage to do their work surprisingly well. To be honest, it makes sense why Virgo among all other signs would have the only domicile + exaltation combination. Virgo is the sign that generally tends to worry about everything and for that reason, in my opinion, Virgo cannot fully embrace Mercury’s rulership but instead of making things worse, it actually makes them better. Mercury can set its own goals when in Virgo but it has to prove its dignity by actually doing something and applying its knowledge to the physical world. While often Mercury in Gemini gathers up knowledge for no particular reason, Mercury in Virgo always has a reason, yet keeps its mind very flexible and adaptable (mutable sign). Mercury here makes its own rules for itself to bounce off of them and makes a great job at it. It never loses focus and manages details better than anyone else.

Look at the opposite sign, Pisces. Pisces abhors details and analysis, it functions a lot better using intuition and empathy. Discriminating words if often a big challenge for a person with his Mercury in Pisces as the level at which it’s thinking is not operating on the verbal basis, so obviously communicating is more often than not a big problem for such Mercury. And communication is the most important way that Mercury manifests in the real world, while planets in fall are the ones most frustrated with the practical implementation of their energy. People with Mercury in Taurus are definitely not the people who have the most trouble at speaking, while for people with Mercury in Pisces that is an extremely common problem. When a planet is in detriment, it tends to understand its role wrongly and on that basis make wrong decisions, while when it is in fall, it can understand what it’s supposed to do but fail when matters require real-world application. To understand something, however, you need to analyze it and Mercury is the main planet dealing with analysis. So Mercury in Pisces feels that something is wrong with the way it expresses itself and it tries to find what is wrong but when it tries to analyze it, its priorities do not let it. Mercury’s priorities in Pisces are set wrong: synthesis over analysis, which gets Mercury trapped in a vicious circle of misunderstanding both from itself and the outside world.

I don't know if I would read such a long post myself, but if you did, thanks. :smile: Any feedback is appeciated.
I found the long post well worth reading
and many thanks for posting it!!