Astrology of potential - nic gaudette

Abby83

I'm trying to understand nic gaudette's latest article - astrology of potential. In particular when she states 'we should merge the sign, house and planet of the north node.' I have no idea what that means. Cans someone please elaborate on this? Like my north node is in Gemini in 7th house and the only positive aspect is a trine so sun in 12th in Libra. Solo, how do I merge this?

greybeard

I have enough trouble getting through each day. Don't need to worry about mumbo-jumbo...right lane merge left.

In my view astrology is and should be a practical, down-to-earth guide to understanding myself a little better each day, not some magical, other-worldly voodoo that no one understands or can apply to their lives.

While you're merging with your North Node I'll be in the hot tub figuring out how to re-channel my tendency to anger, to curb my inclination toward sarcasm...and enjoying the warmth of the water. Come join me and we'll talk about raising kids or fixing a flat tire.

A person cannot grow very much in a spiritual way unless and until they plant their feet solidly in the real world and learn to live in this here and now, which is all we've got.

Last edited:

watcherofthesouth

When I do a reading, one of the first things I look at is the NN which I consider destiny but I like the word potential. I check the NN, sign and degree and get a pretty good idea of what the subject will gravitate towards in a lifetime, but it also depends on aspects to it, of course.

miquar

Hi. Like Greybeard, I'm not into these statements that sound good until you actually try to apply them to your life. Each significator is distinct, but all significators are blended together in your actual experience (whether tensely or harmoniously). You don't need to do the blending - just the experiencing.

Best wishes

Miquar

Osamenor

Staff member
I still don't get what she means by merge the 3.

I haven't read her work, so I don't know what she means, but here's how I would interpret it:

If you're looking for the potential indicated by the north node, consider its sign/house combination. What are the meanings associated with its sign? Throw out the keywords you can think of. Let's say the NN is in Leo. So, indications include self, love, joy, play, creativity, personality development, responsiveness to others (in the sense that Leo self development depends on positive feedback exchanges with others--for example, a comedian tells a joke, the audience laughs, the comedian tells more jokes. The audience's laughter is positive feedback for the comedian, and the jokes are positive feedback for the audience.)

Then consider the house. A Leo NN in the first house is very different from a Leo NN in the seventh. Also consider it in contrast to the south node's house. Let's say we're looking at a case of south node in Aquarius in the seventh, north node in Leo in the first. The past life history--could be literal past lives, could be just unconscious expectations internalized by the native--is one of being focused on relationships (seventh house) for reasons that more about fulfilling social expectations (Aquarius) than about entering relationships because they're genuinely fulfilling.

The native may, in fact, have done that in the first two or three decades of this lifetime: gotten married just because it was expected of them, and/or dated someone they didn't really like just because that person was considered a good catch. If it's showing up as a south node issue, not only has the native done that, they've staked their identity on it. This could be, for instance, a woman who's thoroughly identified as a wife, but doesn't really love her husband, he's just the prop that gives her an identity. Or maybe that was a past relationship, or past relationship pattern. This might be a person who strongly feels they need to be in a relationship or they're nothing, but they have trouble finding a relationship in the first place. Or maybe that kind of behavior showed up in high school--this was the cheerleader who dated the captain of the football team just because of his status--but they move on from it fairly early.

The north node, in this case, is telling us that they need to develop their identity outside of a relationship, based on whatever they genuinely like. If there's a planet on the north node, that modifies the message. Venus on the NN? They need to develop self love (and they might have a big life story around unrequitted love, stemming from their staking their sense of self on relationship). Mars? They need to go out and do something to develop their sense of self, probably something challenging, competitive, or risky. Sun? Self development message is doubled down, and they've probably started heading to the north node early in life (if not, they're having a huge identity crisis before they're out of their teens). In contrast, if they have the sun with the south node, they probably stay stuck on "I need a relationship" longer, and they actually do need some kind of relationship--at the very least, other people to bounce things off of.

If the house placements of the nodes were reversed, self development would happen more through relationship to others, and there might be some resistance to that, some "I don't need other people" attitude (that would be a south node pattern).

Abby83

I haven't read her work, so I don't know what she means, but here's how I would interpret it:

If you're looking for the potential indicated by the north node, consider its sign/house combination. What are the meanings associated with its sign? Throw out the keywords you can think of. Let's say the NN is in Leo. So, indications include self, love, joy, play, creativity, personality development, responsiveness to others (in the sense that Leo self development depends on positive feedback exchanges with others--for example, a comedian tells a joke, the audience laughs, the comedian tells more jokes. The audience's laughter is positive feedback for the comedian, and the jokes are positive feedback for the audience.)

Then consider the house. A Leo NN in the first house is very different from a Leo NN in the seventh. Also consider it in contrast to the south node's house. Let's say we're looking at a case of south node in Aquarius in the seventh, north node in Leo in the first. The past life history--could be literal past lives, could be just unconscious expectations internalized by the native--is one of being focused on relationships (seventh house) for reasons that more about fulfilling social expectations (Aquarius) than about entering relationships because they're genuinely fulfilling.

The native may, in fact, have done that in the first two or three decades of this lifetime: gotten married just because it was expected of them, and/or dated someone they didn't really like just because that person was considered a good catch. If it's showing up as a south node issue, not only has the native done that, they've staked their identity on it. This could be, for instance, a woman who's thoroughly identified as a wife, but doesn't really love her husband, he's just the prop that gives her an identity. Or maybe that was a past relationship, or past relationship pattern. This might be a person who strongly feels they need to be in a relationship or they're nothing, but they have trouble finding a relationship in the first place. Or maybe that kind of behavior showed up in high school--this was the cheerleader who dated the captain of the football team just because of his status--but they move on from it fairly early.

The north node, in this case, is telling us that they need to develop their identity outside of a relationship, based on whatever they genuinely like. If there's a planet on the north node, that modifies the message. Venus on the NN? They need to develop self love (and they might have a big life story around unrequitted love, stemming from their staking their sense of self on relationship). Mars? They need to go out and do something to develop their sense of self, probably something challenging, competitive, or risky. Sun? Self development message is doubled down, and they've probably started heading to the north node early in life (if not, they're having a huge identity crisis before they're out of their teens). In contrast, if they have the sun with the south node, they probably stay stuck on "I need a relationship" longer, and they actually do need some kind of relationship--at the very least, other people to bounce things off of.

If the house placements of the nodes were reversed, self development would happen more through relationship to others, and there might be some resistance to that, some "I don't need other people" attitude (that would be a south node pattern).

Lol your comment hit home for me. Your description about nn in 7th house resonates with me. Getting married is my destiny, but it took a while to get there. Being married to someone who is a good catch. It’s in opposition to my first house planets which represent the very ppl I have difficulty with in my life. Those ppl cause me lots of trouble but I guess if I lean more towards having relationships with other ppl I seem to save myself from their cruel cult.

Nn only trines sun, exact, and sextiles Eros too, in Leo, which rules sun. I guess I’m supposed to liberate myself, have a healthy ego, vitality, be playful, have fun, children etc. that sounds fitting with my life. Combined with Gemini - versatility, communication, writing with other ppl? Can’t do that with those ppl in my first house but I’m sure I can find some other ppl to do it with.

Thanks a bunch.

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
Lol your comment hit home for me. Your description about nn in 7th house resonates with me. Getting married is my destiny, but it took a while to get there. Being married to someone who is a good catch. It’s in opposition to my first house planets which represent the very ppl I have difficulty with in my life. Those ppl cause me lots of trouble but I guess if I lean more towards having relationships with other ppl I seem to save myself from their cruel cult.

Having many planets in the first house (or on the left side of the chart in general) indicates a need for self development that is mainly by and for yourself. If you have that plus a seventh house NN, you're also developing through relationships that you bring into your life. They may be harmonious, they may be antagonistic, but they're there. At the end of the day, though, what you get out of those relationships may be very different from what the other people get out of them.

But, it all depends on your chart as a whole. There's so much that can affect the big picture that I can't really interpret your NN without seeing your whole chart.

greybeard

Hi. Like Greybeard, I'm not into these statements that sound good until you actually try to apply them to your life. Each significator is distinct, but all significators are blended together in your actual experience (whether tensely or harmoniously). You don't need to do the blending - just the experiencing.

Best wishes

Miquar

Very nice...Do the experiencing.

greybeard

If the house placements of the nodes were reversed, self development would happen more through relationship to others, and there might be some resistance to that, some "I don't need other people" attitude (that would be a south node pattern).[/QUOTe

Nicely done Osa. A lucid explanation.