Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > Anything Else... > Chat

Chat For posts that don't have to do with astrological chart interpretation, but they're still important to you. Gossip, show off, hot topic, spiritual thoughts, Sun sign astrological discussions, chit chat: come in and share!

Unread 03-23-2020, 12:39 AM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opal View Post
Well, I was cleaning up the garage this afternoon, it never endsand I was thinking, I can't afford to buy bedding plants this year. Then I thought about a book sale that I was at last year, it was an estate sale. The people were throwing out bags of seeds that the man had collected over the years, they asked if I would take them, I said okay. But, as my filing goes, I didn't know where to look.

The coronavirus, also has me cleaning my office. Five minutes ago, guess what I found, all the seeds, in a box, in the back of the office closet. I will have flowers this year. Apparently, maybe some veggies too!

Thanks Cosmos!

What a lovely story! Thanks for sharing it. I love the flowers too, but in the desert rarely can grow them successfully. Perhaps I planted the original garden area higher up away from the rocks in the wrong place, not sure. But like you I'm always grateful to see a burst of color and a new springtime before the heat cooks us all. Last year I planted in the winter some crocus and/or daffodils, but was disappointed when nothing much happened. But this year, looks like at least 8 of them are coming forth. Thank god for little favors!

As for "faith & works" I think Paul said it well, although not easily repeated. He is saying imo, that its fine to have faith, but what good is it if not accompanied by one's good deeds too.

Thats how I hear it.

Nice fella that Paul, after he saw the light! Its a shame about all that suffering he caused when he was Paul ... I do believe too that in ones last years or even minutes, one can redeem himself too, even after gross sins earlier on. (counting murder as a gross sin, or as Catholics teach, a mortal one that hurts one's very soul.)

Here is a true story about Governor George Wallace of Alabama. He was considered to be a racist of the stronger variety in this far southern State. (well, even in Va. there are plenty today)...not so far south!
But with Wallace, he was (much like Trump today), very popular not just with whites but with some blacks in his State. Many people don't know this about his popularity.

Anyway, during the heated 1960s segregation boast from the Kennedy Administration, George Wallace was told by the Feds that he MUST de-segregate the schools in his State. He pulled a movie stunt like the long time hero head of the N.R.A. and speaking of taking his guns away once roared to a cheering crowd "from my cold dead hands" as a type of dare.
(some say "over my cold dead body)
So too, George Wallace, the Governor stood at the schoolhouse door daring anyone to go past him that day, Federal agents accompanying the young black girl to school for the 1st time.

Well, long story short, it was a terrible time in the 60s, Uranus must have been in full swing.

http://www.ericfrancis.com/planetwaves/sixties.html

From Eric Francis "Planet Waves"
Quote:
Uranus and Pluto were together in Virgo. Across the sky in Pisces was Chiron, though nobody would know this until 1977, when it was discovered. These are all slow-moving, distant planets, so the pattern held for much of a decade. The basic energy was one of opposition, but also the balancing of a polarity.
Fast forward. Through death, tears, MLK marches, the firehoses of the cops, the help of young idealistic college kids and others (including Bernie Sanders of course), the Southern schools were finally desegregated which was a holdover from the Civil War days. I lived in Maryland, a State called the Mason-Dixon Line but we were more southern then northerners, imo. The dividing line. The man who assassinated Lincoln was from there too.
Gov. Wallace ran for the Democratic Party as Presidential nominee just as they are doing today. He came to Maryland (my State) in 1967-68, and since across the street from my job, I went over to the Civic Center to hear him out.
OMG~ you could cut the air with a knife as they say.......awful. The blacks on one side, the whites on another as crowded as any Trump rally would be today.

That is a story in itself to tell another time.

Governor Wallace came back to Maryland again in the following years, and was shot, (attempted assassination) and became paralyzed from it spending the rest of his days in a wheelchair.

Now to my point: ...He said he started to call every single person alive one year and apologized to them (many black people, leaders, churches, etc). asking their forgiveness. He truly was a man who desperately needed healing. He was given it, because people forgave him, based probably on thinking he did a good job for their State (both black & whites)
His wife ran for Governor and took that job over. They liked her too.
Moral of the story? Its never to late to change and do right....The story of Paul/Saul, reminded me of George Wallace in modern times.

Love in action; redemption and faith with works

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Wallace

Quote:
Wallace won election to another term as Governor of Alabama in 1970 and ran in the 1972 Democratic presidential primaries, once again campaigning for segregation. His campaign effectively ended when he was shot in Maryland by Arthur Bremer, and Wallace remained paralyzed below the waist for the rest of his life. Bremer was sentenced to 63 years in prison for the shooting, which was later reduced to 53 years following an appeal; he served 35 years of the reduced sentence and was paroled in 2007.

Wallace won re-election as governor in 1974, and he once again unsuccessfully sought the Democratic presidential nomination in the 1976 Democratic presidential primaries. In the late 1970s, Wallace announced that he became a born-again Christian and moderated his views on race, renouncing his past support for segregation. Wallace left office in 1979 but reentered politics and won election to a fourth and final term as governor in 1982. Wallace is the fourth longest serving governor in US history having served 16 years and 1 day in office

https://astro-charts.com/persons/chart/george-wallace/

The Following User Says Thank You to leomoon For This Useful Post:
Opal (03-23-2020)
Unread 03-23-2020, 03:06 AM

It is a lovely testament to how one can change if they choose to. Thank you Leomoon!

Many of us were raised in times, where times were changing. Thinking of what you wrote, there was a children's book that I always really liked as a child. Little Black Sambo. When it was banned I was shocked. So, I went to the web, and reread the little book. I was so saddened to find, that I had not seen the racism. At 5, it was just a good night book. At 40something, I got it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Opal For This Useful Post:
leomoon (03-23-2020)
Unread 03-23-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
It is a lovely testament to how one can change if they choose to. Thank you Leomoon!

Many of us were raised in times, where times were changing. Thinking of what you wrote, there was a children's book that I always really liked as a child. Little Black Sambo. When it was banned I was shocked. So, I went to the web, and reread the little book. I was so saddened to find, that I had not seen the racism. At 5, it was just a good night book. At 40something, I got it.

Here is another true story - That I didn't learn about until 2016 in Egypt where we went for 2 months (Luxor) to stay. I needed something to read one night, as we kept the luggage as light as possible and the book stores although they have english too, didn't have anything that touched me then.

So my husband found on his tablet he bought with him, (like a Nexus) - a few free books one of them this one:

It knocked my socks off, and I devoured it,(kept my interest) as did he when I was done.

The auto-biography of Frederick Douglass (he wrote it himself when he escaped and was older) -

The reason it shocked me and gave me so much info I hadn't known about is because my late mother in law actually lived so close to where he was born that they more then likely went to the same places, although approx. 100 years apart (she was born in 1915, he around 1815)

They BOTH fished at the Pot Pie River, they both talked about the same family sur-names. There are only a few families down on the Eastern Shore of Maryland that are the truly "big names" and their land stayed in the family's descendants.
Here is my mother in laws' short little book we published AFTER she died, so you can see how simple life was then for her.
NEVER once did she mention black slaves near where she lived and never once did we ask her. Of course today, you can go to the Frederick Douglass museum right near where she once lived and was born . She loved that area, and as a Libra Sun tended to romanticize everything even this area.

My mother in law was the girl on the far left of the book's cover:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DUKQ178

Talk about shock! Guess what else I read in his very well written (he was highly self-educated too) and even visited the White House as the only Black man invited by President Lincoln there.

Well, turns out when you read his bio, he talks about running away (many times) but landed the final time near the docks (and worked on a ship) , right near where I grew up. A neighborhood called "Canton" in Baltimore Maryland,a neighborhood near the Chesapeake Bay outlet - about 5 city blocks from my home as a child. The houses are all over 100years old, probably far older now, and some say we have slaves quarters there where they were hidden during the Underground Railroad that Tubman helped create. He explains so much about this neighborhood's history during his time there and I know the streets of course, just as my m in law would know both the town of Pot Pie (as she called it) in Wittman, as did Douglass in his biography.

Just a wonderful and free book to read, I promise it will keep you interested.
The book is online in pdf form in different places -

https://resources.saylor.org/wwwreso...2-DOUGLASS.pdf

(not to spoil the book's content) BUT I had no clue that back then during these times, it was also against the law for a black person to read "Uncle Tom's Cabin" and a free black was arrested for daring to possessing it in his home. I forget what Douglass said his term in prison was for, but a long long time.

Remember that Uncle Tom's Cabin was written by one of many Abolitionists by the name of Harriet Beecher Stowe -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Tom%27s_Cabin

She and her family did a lot to help the slaves in the Underground RR they helped maintain. This link would be far easier to read about her life:

https://www.swl.k12.oh.us/Downloads/tubman.pdf

Last edited by leomoon; 03-24-2020 at 04:17 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leomoon For This Useful Post:
david starling (03-23-2020), Opal (03-24-2020)
Unread 03-24-2020, 01:22 AM

Peraspera ad Astra - through hardships to stars 🌟
Unread 03-24-2020, 03:33 AM
Senior Member, Moderator

Quote:

The story has been rewritten without the racism. Sam and the Tigers

Take the racism out of it, and it really is just a charming story. The people in the illustrations are black, but there's no comment on that and no stereotyping.

I was raised to be more aware of racial issues. My mom started talking to me about racism when I was 5. Still, it took me until I was an adult to realize that the expression "gyp" was racist. And I was even more surprised when--I must've been well into my twenties--I heard a story about some black people being highly offended over a flight attendant using the rhyme "eenie meenie minie mo." I grew up with that rhyme, but never knew it used to be "catch a n____ by the toe." I don't think anyone in my generation or younger would be aware of that.
Private messages welcome if they're moderation-related matters or personal messages for me, but please do not send me astrological questions or chart reading requests. I only answer those on the forum, in my practice, and on my blog at https://www.thebearsnose.com/, a separate site from this one.

Not receiving an answer to your natal chart-based question? You are welcome to submit it to the Ask the Astrologer feature on my blog, provided that it follows the feature's ground rules.
The Following User Says Thank You to Osamenor For This Useful Post:
Opal (03-24-2020)
Unread 03-24-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamenor View Post
The story has been rewritten without the racism. Sam and the Tigers

Take the racism out of it, and it really is just a charming story. The people in the illustrations are black, but there's no comment on that and no stereotyping.

I was raised to be more aware of racial issues. My mom started talking to me about racism when I was 5. Still, it took me until I was an adult to realize that the expression "gyp" was racist. And I was even more surprised when--I must've been well into my twenties--I heard a story about some black people being highly offended over a flight attendant using the rhyme "eenie meenie minie mo." I grew up with that rhyme, but never knew it used to be "catch a n____ by the toe." I don't think anyone in my generation or younger would be aware of that.
My Mother was quite sensitive to racial issues. She did not allow certain words to be spoken.

The rhyme, that is how we learned it. Weird, that when I learned it, I had never met one, nor did I know what the word actually meant.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Opal For This Useful Post:
leomoon (03-24-2020), Osamenor (03-24-2020)
Unread 03-24-2020, 04:23 PM

Opal:
Quote:
My Mother was quite sensitive to racial issues. She did not allow certain words to be spoken.

The rhyme, that is how we learned it. Weird, that when I learned it, I had never met one, nor did I know what the word actually meant.

Quite a contrast from my family. Dad was racist moreso then mom. Grandmother from Quebec and her family very much so. Grandfather (American Indian, less so)

I chalk it up to different times, different cultures, etc.

Neither my sister nor I adopted their positions. To our benefit I might add. My younger sister (by 3 years), grew up when the society was radically changing and never returned home except for money now and then and perhaps an occasional visit. She became a bona-fide Hippie living off the land, with what I'd say were cults. First in Oregon which was riddled with hippies in the forests? Then in California, and we lived in the East, the other side of the country.

One visit home, she bought a black hippie to my grandmother's house, and I can still see grandma sitting there on her rocking chair, with her mouth firmly glued into a half smile. It was quite rude of my sister knowing how my grandma felt. We don't have to agree with people, but we shouldn't be rude either when their minds are firmly made up (due to times and places and culture, such as she had being born in 1900 October (Scorpio Sun- Libra Moon)
Did she think she was accomplishing something that day or just wanted to put something in my grandmother's face to say to her visually, "Look at me, I'm better then you?" I have no clue, and never asked her that I recall now.

This was probably around 1966

Just one episode I recall vividly. It was "tense" but halfway cordial too.

Last edited by leomoon; 03-24-2020 at 04:25 PM.
Osamenor (03-24-2020)
Unread 03-24-2020, 10:54 PM
Senior Member, Moderator

Quote:
You seriously learned the "catch a n____" version?

You're only a decade or so older than me. Really, I never knew there ever was such a version, until I heard the flight attendant story.

In my childhood, it was "catch a tiger by the toe." My dad shared a version from his childhood (and he grew up white in the Jim Crow south!) that went, "Catch a robber by the toe. If he hollers, don't you cry, just telephone the FBI."

The n-word wasn't allowed in my house at all. And I lived in a racially diverse and pretty well integrated urban area. There was never a time when I didn't have friends, classmates, neighbors, etc. who were black, Asian, hispanic, and everything else.

Still, institutional racism creeps in. I've had to check my (white) privilege plenty.
Private messages welcome if they're moderation-related matters or personal messages for me, but please do not send me astrological questions or chart reading requests. I only answer those on the forum, in my practice, and on my blog at https://www.thebearsnose.com/, a separate site from this one.

Not receiving an answer to your natal chart-based question? You are welcome to submit it to the Ask the Astrologer feature on my blog, provided that it follows the feature's ground rules.
Unread 03-24-2020, 11:01 PM

Sometimes, I wish the coronavirus was actually a real plague so that maybe the world would change or become interesting. Either I’ll die or I’ll survive and my life will have a greater purpose and worth since 10 of millions of people will have died.

But no it’s the same old nonsense and the economy is trash
Unread 03-24-2020, 11:40 PM
Senior Member, Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppLeo View Post
Sometimes, I wish the coronavirus was actually a real plague so that maybe the world would change or become interesting. Either I’ll die or I’ll survive and my life will have a greater purpose and worth since 10 of millions of people will have died.

But no it’s the same old nonsense and the economy is trash
Why do tens of millions of people have to die for your life to have greater purpose and worth?

Seriously, if just a significant portion of the population of your community died, it wouldn't be anywhere near tens of millions, but the effect on you would be the same.

And that's assuming anyone has to die to give your life purpose and worth.

To put it in perspective, most of the ancient plagues were just local events, involving a population that numbered in the tens of thousands, or less, to start with. The late medieval Black Death was an exception, but even then, it was experienced on the local level. Global communication was not a thing back then.

Last edited by Osamenor; 03-24-2020 at 11:44 PM.
Unread 03-25-2020, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Why do tens of millions of people have to die for your life to have greater purpose and worth?
Because it's hard to stand out in a post-industrial and crowded world. It's really easy to stand out in a tribe or a small town, but when you're in a city, not to mention on the internet, you're competing with the rest of the world. You feel small and meaningless. And you're existence only seems to prop up those on top while you kill yourself in the process.

Quote:
Seriously, if just a significant portion of the population of your community died, it wouldn't be anywhere near tens of millions, but the effect on you would be the same.

And that's assuming anyone has to die to give your life purpose and worth.

To put it in perspective, most of the ancient plagues were just local events, involving a population that numbered in the tens of thousands, or less, to start with. The late medieval Black Death was an exception, but even then, it was experienced on the local level. Global communication was not a thing back then.
Well after the black death, workers were able to demand higher wages, they got more value for the work they produced since there were less of them. The black plague made way for the Renaissance, a new enlightened era. In many ways, the black plague did a lot of good for humanity, but at a huge cost.

I feel like this world needs another renaissance and phoenix rising from the ashes. The masses and culture has become rotten and deprived of values.

but whatever I could be talking nonsense
after all, this is random thoughts not good thoughts

Last edited by AppLeo; 03-25-2020 at 02:18 AM.
Unread 03-25-2020, 09:22 AM

Smile Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text

Apps, is the restaurant you were working at shut down? What about your college? Also, have you gotten another vehicle yet?
Unread 03-25-2020, 10:10 AM

The history of toilet paper 🧻 🚽

https://apple.news/AlPJLAqPgQ5e5qfBsEnTklw
Unread 03-25-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Because it's hard to stand out in a post-industrial and crowded world. It's really easy to stand out in a tribe or a small town, but when you're in a city, not to mention on the internet, you're competing with the rest of the world. You feel small and meaningless. And you're existence only seems to prop up those on top while you kill yourself in the process.

Well after the black death, workers were able to demand higher wages, they got more value for the work they produced since there were less of them. The black plague made way for the Renaissance, a new enlightened era. In many ways, the black plague did a lot of good for humanity, but at a huge cost.

I feel like this world needs another renaissance and phoenix rising from the ashes. The masses and culture has become rotten and deprived of values.

but whatever I could be talking nonsense
after all, this is random thoughts not good thoughts
Sounds like you are not satisfied with the current world. Maybe you want another world in the coming kingdom of God. This is the gospel. This world will also arise after a great tribulation exactly as you say.
Unread 03-25-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
You seriously learned the "catch a n____" version?

You're only a decade or so older than me. Really, I never knew there ever was such a version, until I heard the flight attendant story.

In my childhood, it was "catch a tiger by the toe." My dad shared a version from his childhood (and he grew up white in the Jim Crow south!) that went, "Catch a robber by the toe. If he hollers, don't you cry, just telephone the FBI."

The n-word wasn't allowed in my house at all. And I lived in a racially diverse and pretty well integrated urban area. There was never a time when I didn't have friends, classmates, neighbors, etc. who were black, Asian, hispanic, and everything else.

Still, institutional racism creeps in. I've had to check my (white) privilege plenty.
Yes, that is how I learned it. I have heard all except call the FBI line. In Southern Ontario in the farming communities in the 60ís, they still had what appeared to be slavery. Slavery is not a colour thing in the end, it is a class division. The haves and the have nots. There have always been the working poor, I think there always will be.
The Following User Says Thank You to Opal For This Useful Post:
leomoon (03-25-2020)
Unread 03-25-2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukpoohbear View Post
The history of toilet paper 🧻 🚽

https://apple.news/AlPJLAqPgQ5e5qfBsEnTklw
The history of toilet paper rolls on and on!
The Following User Says Thank You to david starling For This Useful Post:
Ukpoohbear (03-25-2020)
Unread 03-25-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post
The history of toilet paper rolls on and on!

I found something to add to this quote:
The History of Toilet Paper - (so rare today)

Quote:
The Romans, in their communal toilets, shared a sponge on a stick
Communal Toilets in Ephesus built by the Romans near where St. Paul gave his speech warning people not to buy the silver deities:

click image to enlarge:

and later on:
Quote:
The quality of the paper meant splinters were a common problem
https://www.historyextra.com/period/...urce=AppleNews
Ukpoohbear (03-25-2020)
Unread 03-25-2020, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Apps, is the restaurant you were working at shut down? What about your college? Also, have you gotten another vehicle yet?
Yes.
Unread 03-25-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Yes.
C'mon, what's the make, model and year?
Unread 03-25-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Yes, that is how I learned it. I have heard all except call the FBI line. In Southern Ontario in the farming communities in the 60ís, they still had what appeared to be slavery. Slavery is not a colour thing in the end, it is a class division. The haves and the have nots. There have always been the working poor, I think there always will be.
Yes, though historically in northern regions color is often given as a reason for selecting people to be of the lower class.
Unread 03-25-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
C'mon, what's the make, model and year?
stop asking me such personal questions
Unread 03-25-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
stop asking me such personal questions
What are you wearing?
Unread 03-25-2020, 07:46 PM

GM's coming out with a line of electric, 0-emissions SUVs in 2023, including a moose-resistant Hummer!
Unread 03-25-2020, 07:50 PM

Some people are saying the coronavirus is a weapon of war from China, who have largely recovered from it although I like David Starling's theory it is 5G related.
There is no coming to consciousness without pain. People will do anything, no matter how absurd, in order to avoid facing their own soul. One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious" - Carl Jung
Unread 03-25-2020, 08:00 PM

I've been learning about final depositors and chart patterns. Both Mars and Pluto are the final dipositors in my chart. Does Pluto being one of the final dipositors makes me Plutonian? I don't look it.

Last edited by Ukpoohbear; 03-25-2020 at 08:11 PM.