Extroverted and Introverted Types

Davi_Alan

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to question here something that I see people here and elsewhere do very often when interpreting a chart. Usually when there are more planets above the horizon in a chart, I see people saying that the native is an extroverted, and when there are more planets below the horizon in a chart, the native is introverted.

From personal experience, I can't agree with this. Can anyone tell me if this particular interpretation is an old one, or is it a recent a way of interpreting a chart?

Take my case, for example, I've got most of my planets above the horizon. Accordingly, this would make me an extroverted type, but this is not always the case. Amongst a group of people, I've always faced the problem of having my voice heard, as I'm often interupted by others, so I've learned to usually let others do the talking and just tend to sit back and listen. And then again, there are times when I have no problem in making my opinion heard (usually when I'm amongst older people). But most often, I wouldn't say I'm the extroverted type, it depends a lot on my mood. Likewise, I also have a Sagittarian friend who's got lots of planets above the horizon in his chart, but he's mostly a home type of person, not having much of a social life (which is odd for his sign), and while not necessarily shy, he just doesn't have that great of a friendship circle and interacts mostly with people through the net.

Now, I have two friends who were born during the early evening hours, and most of their planets are below the horizon. One of them is a Piscean like me and the other one is a Taurean, and both of them are extremely extroverted, usually being the center of attention and stealing everyone's gaze towards them when their in a group. They're usually very energetic and fun to be around, making everybody laugh.

It seems to me like we'd have to look at other factors in deciding when a person will show introverted and extroverted tendencies, wouldn't you guys agree?

Last edited:

MJ82

Interesting topic. Well, most of my planets are above the horizon in my chart, my sun is in the 1st house, and I have a Libra stellium, and while I do feel driven to make my mark on the world and sometimes shine in a social setting, I can also be quite introverted sometimes as my sociable libra stellium is in the 8th and for a whole host of other reasons, so one really has to take a whole chart into account - hence why the above theory may not always neatly apply...

Ixaee

I agree with both of you... I've also seen at times that many introverted types will have a strong planet or placements below the horizon, even if the majority are above.. or a strong focus on the 12th or 8th houses (which are very personal houses regardless).

A friend of mine is a Libra, all planets above the horizon (mostly centered in the 8th and 12th houses). Moon/Neptune in 12th; Venus, Mars, Mercury in 8th.. he's so introverted that he rarely leaves his land and he only ventures out once a month to take care of basic shopping needs.. not at all extroverted in any sense of the word.

tautomer

In the strict true psychological definition of the word, I am an introvert. That said I have more traits of an extrovert. Really I am in between when all things are considered. Depending on who I am with I will be perceived as an introvert or an extrovert.

As far as my chart, I have 5 planets below the horizon, and 5 planets above the horizon. So it makes sense I am sort of in between as far as that goes. That said, four of my planets are in the 8th house so by that I should be much more shy and reserved. That's not the case. I am actually quite the talkative and communicative person, and I am not that shy at all. When I was a child I actually was far too friendly with people.

IleneK

Premium Member
The psychological definition of extroversion is the person who gains energy from interaction in a group. An introvert has his or her energy drawn down in that setting and prefers one-on-one or no company.

That said, and in addition to what is already noted, Saturnine influences can contribute to introversion. The yin elements of earth and water are more introverted.

Last edited:

Davi_Alan

"In the strict true psychological definition of the word, I am an introvert. That said I have more traits of an extrovert. Really I am in between when all things are considered. Depending on who I am with I will be perceived as an introvert or an extrovert."

--- Same thing here with me Tautomer.

Last edited:

Davi_Alan

Ilene, this definition seems vague or seems to leave room for a lot of interpretation. I always think of someone as being extroverted when they present themselves as very social, communicative, enjoying being amongst other people often, signs like that.

While I love feeling at one with other people, especially when I'm sharing good moments with friends, I can't stand to be in a group for too long, I have to have my alone time (I was camping for 3 days this weekend and on the 3rd day, although I had lots of fun, I couldn't help but want to go back). It's difficult to tell, by the definition you gave, which of these categories I fit in...While I enjoy being in groups from time to time, I'm often best when I'm by myself.

Last edited:

stainedBlue

While I love feeling at one with other people, especially when I'm sharing good moments with friends, I can't stand to be in a group for too long, I have to have my alone time (I was camping for 3 days this weekend and on the 3rd day, although I had lots of fun, I couldn't help but want to go back). It's difficult to tell, by the definition you gave, which of these categories I fit in...While I enjoy being in groups from time to time, I'm often best when I'm by myself.

Introversion doesn't mean you have absolutely no interest in social interaction, it simply means you're at your best with space and solitude. The fact that you don't thrive for long periods with social interaction gives you the answer.

Moog

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to question here something that I see people here and elsewhere do very often when interpreting a chart. Usually when there are more planets above the horizon in a chart, I see people saying that the native is an extroverted, and when there are more planets below the horizon in a chart, the native is introverted.

It seems to me like we'd have to look at other factors in deciding when a person will show introverted and extroverted tendencies, wouldn't you guys agree?

I have everything above the horizon, and I'm pathologically introverted.

Yes I agree.

byjove

Account Closed
Interesting topic. Well, most of my planets are above the horizon in my chart, my sun is in the 1st house, and I have a Libra stellium, and while I do feel driven to make my mark on the world and sometimes shine in a social setting, I can also be quite introverted sometimes as my sociable libra stellium is in the 8th and for a whole host of other reasons, so one really has to take a whole chart into account - hence why the above theory may not always neatly apply...

This pretty much sums up what I was thinking, I agree.

I'm especially interested in the natural introverted/extroverted nature of the signs in combination with being above or below the horizon. Consider a Pisces Sun in the 9th or a Leo Sun in 4th. Also, Sun+ASC+Moon. Also, consider a Scorpio Sun in the 4th conjunct a positive Jupiter... Whatever the case, perhaps the 'above/below' the horizon idea taken on it's own is not effective, it needs to be taken in consideration with other details.

I can't comment much on my own chart for now, I'm still rectifying.

Last edited:

Moog

I suspect that what the lights are doing matters a lot regarding this. In my chart, the Sun isn't so strong, and the Moon is oppressed by Saturn.

I did collect a bunch of charts of various Es and Is to look at properly, but I haven't had the time.

Skywomb

I suspect that what the lights are doing matters a lot regarding this. In my chart, the Sun isn't so strong, and the Moon is oppressed by Saturn.

I did collect a bunch of charts of various Es and Is to look at properly, but I haven't had the time.
In my case very true I guess.
Two maleficts at my Sun, and semi-squaring another one.
Moon only making aspects to 2-3 maleficts, and my darling Venus but she is caught inbetween sweet apple-pie and something grotesquely sexy, too hard a choice for her.

ImNotThere9

How interesting. In my chart, all planets are below the horizon discounting Venus which just about pleasures into my seventh house conjunct the DC. I don't believe the interpretation, however aged, is antithetical to my experience by any means. I am quite introverted, but there exists a singular facet to my chart. I have read that when a native has a stellium in one house the force is such that the house diametrically opposite is also affected. My stellium is in the fifth house, which calls the eleventh house into the matter. I can be both withdrawn and completely open to company, introverted and extraverted, diffident and dauntless.

IleneK

Premium Member
Ilene, this definition seems vague or seems to leave room for a lot of interpretation.

Definitions are like that some times. I just wanted us to know the meaning of the terms that we are trying to identify astrologically.

I always think of someone as being extroverted when they present themselves as very social, communicative, enjoying being amongst other people often, signs like that.
How one presents oneself does not necessarily show the inner nature.

Since extroversion is so valued by our culture, many act like or wish they were extroverted, and present themselves as such. It doesn't make them extroverted or change their energetic response to social interaction in groups. And introverts enjoy communication, but perhaps less of it and more on a one-to-one basis.

So extroversion/introversion is an internal, energetic response to social interaction with groups. I think stainedBlue sums it up well when she says to look for where you do your best, in social interaction or in solitude. If you like both some, then you are neither extro nor intro, but a balance between the two. Most of us are some balance between the two.

Last edited:

IleneK

Premium Member
"In the strict true psychological definition of the word, I am an introvert. That said I have more traits of an extrovert. Really I am in between when all things are considered. Depending on who I am with I will be perceived as an introvert or an extrovert."

--- Same thing here with me Tautomer.

The flaw here may be looking to the perception of others for the measure of one's extroverion/introversion. Rather, it is one's own internal response that determines extroversion or introversion.

I would actually disregard the amount of planets above/below horizon and instead look at:

1. Asc sign (how a person interacts with the outside world), house placement and aspects of the Asc ruler.

2. Any planets in the 1st house.

3. Venus (social life and social interactions) sign, aspects and house placement.

Works very well for everyone I know.

llama

I would actually disregard the amount of planets above/below horizon and instead look at:

1. Asc sign (how a person interacts with the outside world), house placement and aspects of the Asc ruler.

2. Any planets in the 1st house.

3. Venus (social life and social interactions) sign, aspects and house placement.

Works very well for everyone I know.

I think this is a pretty interesting approach, but I don't think it quite works for me. I am a Gemini ascendant with an Aries Venus and I consider myself an introvert. Then again my sun is in Pisces and my moon is in virgo.

Davi_Alan

Oh, what a coincidence Ilama, I am also a Gemini ascedant, Venus in Aries and Sun in Pisces, but my moon is in Aquarius...and yes, I would say I also am more on the introverted type...Some of my friend actually nicknamed me "autie" from the word autist.

Last edited:

wilsontc

Staff member
psychological terms aren't astrological terms, to Davi

Davi,

You said:
I'd like to question here something that I see people here and elsewhere do very often when interpreting a chart. Usually when there are more planets above the horizon in a chart, I see people saying that the native is an extroverted, and when there are more planets below the horizon in a chart, the native is introverted. From personal experience, I can't agree with this. Can anyone tell me if this particular interpretation is an old one, or is it a recent a way of interpreting a chart?

Psychological terms aren't astrological terms. While I do think that the top part of the chart indicates a focus on the "outer world" and the bottom part of the chart indicates a focus on the "inner world" this does NOT mean that the top part of the chart is "extroverted" and the bottom part of the chart is "introverted". One example is the 8th house of secrets (which can be very secretive and introverted) contrasted with the 5th house of self-expression (which can be very dramatic and extroverted). Instead, top and bottom of the chart has to do with what the person focuses their attention on.

A person with more planets at the top of the chart tends to be more focused on the outer world. This could include doing research shut away in a lab, being a librarian shut away in a library, etc. A person with more planets at the bottom of the chart tends to be more focused on their inner world. This could include gossiping with others, talking about a novel they wrote, performing onstage to show themselves off to others, etc.

This is only a general guideline: as always, the entire chart has to be taken into account as well.

Non-psychologically termed,

Tim

Last edited: