How to Calculate Progressions

Davi_Alan

Hello Everyone,

Lunar, or Soli-Lunar progressions has been the astrology topic that's been getting my attention lately. I first came into contact with progression through this video right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSVGtN6dyC4

From my birth chart I know that I was born during the Balsamic Moon, so according to this lady, I'd be on my New Moon phase at age 3.5. But how could I sow anything at this age when I barely had any conscience of myself as a human being yet? Still, according to this system, and going by its logic, I entered the Crescent phase at age 7, First Quarter at age 10, so and so, and now I'd be closing the Full Moon phase and entering the Disseminating phase, I think?

But being more objective, here's my question: Is there any experienced member here who would be kind enough to teach me how to calculate progressions, if this be possible? I know it involves a lot of calculations, but how hard are they?

I have an astrology software program called Zet 9.1 Lite, that I downloaded from this website:

http://www.soulhealing.com/freeastrologysoftware.htm

But if this program has any options for calculating progressions, than I haven't discorvered it yet, and trust me, I searched it everywhere in this program. There is an option if I click on "Interpretation" and then choose "Progression", but it isn't what I expected. Or I may just not know the right way to use this program yet.

I also tried to download other free programs, but they seem so ******. And plus, I'd really like to learn how to do it manually. If anyone thinks that it be better for me to put my chart here in order to show it clearly or for an exmaple, please tell me and I'll put it here.

I also tried searching for articles on the internet about how to do this, but no luck. So, if this is something possible of being taught, please help me as I'd really like to learn rather than depend on a software. I also don't have the means of buying a good astrology software at the moment.

Many thanks.

Culpeper

Premium Member
This is really very easy to do. It is called the day-for-a-year method and is rather recent in astrological history. Kepler is said to have taken the idea from the Old Testament.

Each day after birth is counted as one year of life. If you want to see a chart for age twenty, count twenty calendar days from the day of birth which is day zero. Cast a chart for the same time and place of birth but on this advanced day. This will give you the progressed horoscope for age twenty.

Observe that the Moon has moved about two thirds of the way around the wheel counter clockwise the secondary direction. The Sun has stood still in the horoscope but the zodiac has turned about 20 degrees clockwise with respect to the Sun. Mercury and Venus will be keeping pace with the Sun. Mars moves a little clockwise. Jupiter, Saturn and the outer planets will have moved about 20 degrees clockwise in the horoscope and this is called the primary direction.

Observe when planets change direction, change signs and houses. Also note when the Moon contacts each planet as it moves swiftly around the wheel. You will find that there will also be changes in your life corresponding to these astrological events. It is very helpful to have a reference called an Ephemeris when working with progressions as all these planetary changes can be seen on one page.

astro11

Progressions are accurately and easily calculated on astro.com, before I purchased Solar Fire I used it often. Go to free horoscopes- horoscope drawings and calculations-extended chart selection after entering your birth details.

You can also buy an ephemeris or look one up online. Let us say you are 25 years old, count 25 days after your birthday and look at the placement of the planets for that day. If you are born April 3 1986, look at April 28 1986 for your progressed planets at age 25.

Davi_Alan

Hello Culpeper and Astro11,

Thank you for the information you both shared. Indeed, the answer both of you gave me seems too simple in comparison to what I've read about secondary progressions online. I still got some doubts in mind, and I'd like to know if any of you or other members here could clear it up for me.

First thing, you both mention the use of an ephermis right? Well, I read it in this article that the progressions don't correspond to actual celestial movements in the sky here (paragraph 4):

http://www.khaldea.com/rudhyar/astroarticles/progressionsinastrology.php

Also, take a look (1:40) at this ladies' video instructions on how to calculate soli-lunar progressions. She's using WinStar program for that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZT3gzbeSsU

She is doing a progression only in respect to the position of the moon to the sun or vice-versa, and if we take a look at the first aspect, we see that according to this program's calculation, there is an opposition between the progressed luminaries at February 23rd of 1965, at 9:20 am for her.

But if we go an Ephemiris of the year 1965(see link below), we see no such event actually taking place, which reinforces what was stated in that article above.

http://www.astro.com/swisseph/ae/1900/d5ge1_1965.pdf

I'm not sure how clear my question is to you guys, but are you getting a feeling of what I'm trying to understand here? Perhaps the method of progression she uses is different from the one you're both mentioning here, could that be it?

Here's my second question - I also read something about secondary progression that you have to compare your chart of where you're born in relation to where you are currently living now for secondary progressions. How does that work?

So, the third thing I'd like to get clear is this. I'd like to know if y'all can tell me whether I'm doing this right or not, based on what you've told me. I am attaching here a map of my natal chart, along with the progressed motion of the planets for the following days. So basically what I'd like to know if these would be the charts I'd have to be taking a look at in order to see the secondary progressions, would that be it?

I've progressed the planets from March 13 to March 17 for the same birth time (10:30am) and the same place (my birth town), so, till I was about 4 years old at the time. Based on what you're seeing, am I doing it right?

But here's a final question, you say to progress for the same time and PLACE, but when I was still a baby I moved with my parents to a different state, would that matter or should I still cast a progression chart always from my birth town as the point of reference? This question would go in hand with the second one above.

I thank you so much anyone who could clarify this for me.

Attachments

• March 13, 1991.jpg
    March 13, 1991.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 22
  • March 14, 1991.jpg
    March 14, 1991.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 26
  • March 15, 1991.jpg
    March 15, 1991.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 32
  • March 16, 1991.jpg
    March 16, 1991.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 28
  • March 17, 1991.jpg
    March 17, 1991.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 29

astro11

Hi Davi,

I am referring to secondary progressed planets, this is the most widely used form of progressions (also the most useful in my experience). There are other types of progressions but since you are a beginner, I recommend sticking with secondary before trying tertiary for example.

Secondary progressions can be shown using an ephmeris but unless you have astrological software to time it down to the minute, you can only know the positions are between the two dates in question. I have a midnight ephemeris by Pottenger and Michelsen, I will show you what I mean using your birthday as an example. On March 13, 1991 at midnight the Sun was at 21'54 pisces, Mercury was at 2'02 aries, venus 22'49 aries. On March 14, 1991 at midnight, the Sun was at 22'49 pisces, Mercury at 3'57 aries, venus at 24'02 aries. Since you were born at 10:30 am on March 13, 1991, the positions of these planets should be in between the ones shown here. Indeed, using solarfire, on March 13, 1991 at 10:30am in Brazil, the Sun was at 22'28 pisces, mercury at 3'07 aries and venus at 23'30 aries. Now, if you don't have astrological software, you would not know the precise positions, all you know is that the positions are approximately a little bit before halfway between the two dates shown (12:00pm is halfway, 10:30am shows it skewed a little more to March 13th).

You can enter the place for which you are currently living into secondary progressions on solar fire but not on astro.com and I don't know about other free software. Ultimately, whether you put the place where you were born or the new place you are living in there is not much of a difference. I do a lot of predictive work for clients and this distinction really doesn't make much of a difference for practical matters.

Regarding your progressions at age 4, I entered your data into solarfire using Aug 14, 1995. Your progressed: sun is at 26'52 pisces, mercury 11'20 aries, venus at 28'52 aries. Your calculated charts are correct, I also entered March 17, 1991 and came up with the same chart you did. If there was a specific incident that you are interested in examining when you were 4, enter the exact date of the incident, not March 17, 1991.

Last edited:

astro11

Hi Davi,

I tried to send you a PM in response to the visitor message you sent me but but it wouldn't go through so I'm posting my response here.

The August date was just an example to show you that when you are analyzing progressions in hindsight for a particular incident, you need to use the exact day of the incident, not your birthday. There is no special significance in August 14th.

Your progressed chart progresses during each year, not just from year to year (movement in minutes, not degrees), it is constantly moving just like the planets are constantly moving. When I say that one day in progressions= one year of life I mean that the boundaries of the degree movement will not exceed what happened that day. For example, on March 13, 1991 the sun was at 22’28 (22 degrees 28 minutes) pisces at midnight. On September 5, 2012 your progressed sun will be at 13’46 aries. You turned 21 this year and September is in between your birthday from year to year. Thus we add 21 days to March 13 1991, this gives us April 3, 1991, since it is September we must look at placements on April 3rd (21) and April 4th (22). Looking at the ephemeris on April 3, 1991 the sun was at 12’58 aries at midnight. On April 4, 1991 the sun was at 13’57 aries. Before you turn 22, your progressed sun will never exceed 13’57 aries, it must stay in the boundaries, this is what I mean by one day= one year. At the same time, within this day (April 3) the Sun moves in minutes- on September 30, 2012 your progressed sun is at 13’50 aries.

In general, the progressed charts you posted reflect the themes for that year so go ahead and analyze them. Just keep in mind that if you had specific incidents of interest, calculate the progressed chart for that specific date, not just dates between March 13-17th.

Hope this helps, I’d be happy to help if you have other questions :smile:

enigmas

hello everyone,

i'm a little bit confused...I made progressed chart on astro.com and all I can see that in my age of 27 only moon moved for only 2 degrees and other planets are almost on the same degree as natal :-S

I really don't understand whats the point...my progressed planets will never conjunct other natal planets because it is really sloooow :(

i was born on 21.12.1984. and for progressed i enterd date 17.1.1985. to see chart for age 27

Kind regards,

astro11

hello everyone,

i'm a little bit confused...I made progressed chart on astro.com and all I can see that in my age of 27 only moon moved for only 2 degrees and other planets are almost on the same degree as natal :-S

I really don't understand whats the point...my progressed planets will never conjunct other natal planets because it is really sloooow :(

i was born on 21.12.1984. and for progressed i enterd date 17.1.1985. to see chart for age 27

Kind regards,

Hi,

You did not specify your birth time or birth city so I put 12:00pm and Zagreb, Croatia since your location shows Croatia. Your natal moon was 16 sag and progressed moon as of today is 24 Sagittarius using this data. So the moon moved through the whole zodiac plus 8 degrees since you were born. It will be slightly different from 24 Sag depending on your exact birth time and birth city. To see your progressed chart for 27 you must enter in today's date, not 1985 because 1985 reflects your progressed moon at age 1.

You were born on a new moon natally (conjunction of sun and moon). Your progressed moon is making a conjunction with your natal sun now so depending on when this aspect goes exact, it will be a time of fresh new possibilities and new starts. You might feel the beginning of a new phase in life. You should try things you have never done but always wanted to, it is an auspicious time for exploration and undertaking new ventures/ studies.

dr. farr

Just a note: other than Pauline profections, I have come to have great respect for simple symbolic directions (progressions) over the years, and I (personally) have found them of more value even than secondaries (I never liked primaries!!) I use the 1 degree/year method, and also the almost unknown duodenary method as well (2.5 degrees per year), which latter method has seemed even more accurate than the 1 degree/year method (or the related solar arc method, which I also used with much success in the past)
For these methods the best introduction (how to) is Charles Carter's "Symbolic Directions in Modern Astrology", which I recommend to all interested in the art of dicting (art of progressing) the horoscope.

enigmas

Hi,

You did not specify your birth time or birth city so I put 12:00pm and Zagreb, Croatia since your location shows Croatia. Your natal moon was 16 sag and progressed moon as of today is 24 Sagittarius using this data. So the moon moved through the whole zodiac plus 8 degrees since you were born. It will be slightly different from 24 Sag depending on your exact birth time and birth city. To see your progressed chart for 27 you must enter in today's date, not 1985 because 1985 reflects your progressed moon at age 1.

You were born on a new moon natally (conjunction of sun and moon). Your progressed moon is making a conjunction with your natal sun now so depending on when this aspect goes exact, it will be a time of fresh new possibilities and new starts. You might feel the beginning of a new phase in life. You should try things you have never done but always wanted to, it is an auspicious time for exploration and undertaking new ventures/ studies.

Hey Astro11,

Thank you for helping me! My time of birth is 22:55h in Zagreb.
So I made progressed chart again as per your instruction and my progressed moon for my age 27 is on 1st degree of Capricorn and conjuncts my natal neptune.
Is it important if my progressed mars conjuncts natal descendant?
And if I want to see my progressions for age 28 which date should I enter? omg Im really new in progressions so sorry if my questions are stupid

Regards,
Enigmas

Last edited:

astro11

You are doing the progressions correctly. If you want it progressed for age 28, just enter any date in 2013.

Mars to your descendant could cause some aggression in your one on one dealings with people, especially a significant other. It could either cause you to project aggressive/ demanding behaviour on others or other people could impose their agenda on you. You should aim to be assertive but considerate of other people's feelings.

Moon conjunct Neptune is similar to moon in Pisces, you could be extra sensitive, feel more artistic/ creative, desire to spend more time near water, daydream a lot and be fanciful in your thinking. People could also perceive you to be vague, confusing or indirect at this time.

JUPITERASC

"..surprising to find secondary progressions were discussed by Vettius Valens, over 1500 years prior to their independent invention by Placidus :smile:

Unlike primary directions, secondary progressions were not widespread in Hellenistic astrology. Like many other predictive techniques, evidence of their use in that era survives only in the work of Valens. Valens discussed two methods of secondary progressions in Book IX, of his Anthology. The first is the standard method in which one determines age of native, then adds that many years in days to the birth date and looks at the transits to the natal chart on that day....."

source: Seven Stars Astrology http://www.sevenstarsastrology.com/...progressions-1-valens-secondary-progressions/

JUPITERASC

....Is it important if my progressed mars conjuncts natal descendant?
Look to the houses that have Mars ruled signs on their cusps i.e. the two houses with Aries and Scorpio on the cusp because transits of Mars would involve these houses linked also with Mars natal house location as well as Mars natal sign location :smile:

Moog

The Indian dasha system is actually based on a lunar progression. It seems to 'go' at a different speed to standard secondary progression found in western astrology.

JUPITERASC

The Indian dasha system is actually based on a lunar progression. It seems to 'go' at a different speed to standard secondary progression found in western astrology.
According to dr. farr, as well as others, Hellenistic astrology is closest to Indian astrology - although perhaps not necessarily so regarding all forms of 'progression' :smile:

Moog

According to dr. farr, as well as others, Hellenistic astrology is closest to Indian astrology - although perhaps not necessarily so regarding all forms of 'progression' :smile:

Zodiacal Releasing looks a lot like a sign based dasha system to me. A lot like Jaimini Chara Dasha or something.

I was thinking of writing a little thing on Dasha, as it doesn't seem fair that the Indians get it and westerners don't.

It's probably not even essentially Indian, they just remembered it better.

Who knows where any of this stuff originated.

JUPITERASC

Zodiacal Releasing looks a lot like a sign based dasha system to me. A lot like Jaimini Chara Dasha or something.

I was thinking of writing a little thing on Dasha, as it doesn't seem fair that the Indians get it and westerners don't.
Good idea JMO
It's probably not even essentially Indian, they just remembered it better.

Who knows where any of this stuff originated.

Although much is destroyed or hidden awaiting discovery by delighted archaeologists, there are a few clues http://www.babylonianastrology.com/:smile: