Professional sources (books, webpages, etc.)

VirGem89

I'm doing a personal manifesto paper in my English class, and have to cite at least two professional sources.

I was wanting to do mine on my beliefs in astrology. I will have to supply background information, of course.

Any suggestions for books or other professional sources I can search to use to integrate into my paper?

Thanks. :)

Marinka

I'm not understanding what type of books you need. Can you be a bit more specific about what you are looking for?

Zarathu

Account Closed
I have more than a 100 books in my collection, plus sources and suggestions on my website.

I, too, would like to know what you are actually interested in. I have a book with justifications for Astrology.

And on my website there is a PHD level nuclear physicist who shares an explanation for how astrology works from a Quantum level.

VirGem89

Sorry, at the time I wasn't 100% sure with the direction I was going.

I decided on addressing the fact it's usually rendered inapplicable (thanks to the media), but how much more actually goes into one's natal chart, explaining why these superficial predictions often make no application to EVERY person born under that Sun sign.
Problem is, it's only supposed to be 4 pages long. So, I'm trying to decide what key facts to include in a shorter paper (obviously, astrology being such an in depth topic, one I'm still myself learning about, where going into an insane amount of detail would be impossible).
I'm trying to get across that it can be a useful tool in one's life. I need at least two professional sources citing its history, general information in regards to planets/houses/aspects, giving (attempting to give, anyway) some credential it's lost for many through society trending it in a generalized fashion. And then from there, I'd go into an example or two, where I've seen harmonious aspects in my own life.

Definitely about to go check out your site, Zarathu. :)

Zarathu

Account Closed
What is the current status of your paper? What do you think you need now?

The is a good book which is a somewhat scholarly approach called "The Case for Astrology" by John Anthony West. There are at least two editions. Look for the most recent one.

This will give you a good summary of what he sees with some history and other stuff. Outside of nuclear physics..... its pretty good.

Marinka

If you are looking to make a case that there is more than just the Sun, then you just might need a simple astrology book. I'm thinking maybe you would want to focus on one placement -- like Venus thru the signs.

The Only Way to Learn Astrology by March and McEvers comes to mind. They use keywords for some of the placements that I think you might find helpful.

If you are going to be presenting the paper, you might be able to spend an hour or so and make a quick key for Venus placements over 20 years or so - that way people could look up their Venus placement from your handouts.

VirGem89

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

I went into the school library today and checked out a few that should work with what it is I have in my paper.

The professor said I should actually cut some of the information out.

Problem is, that's hard to do when my examples of why I DO believe in astrology through personal experience, involve having to have some understanding of astrology to grasp what it is I'm saying. haha. It's kind of challenging, but I THINK I've got it figured out.

dr. farr

Yes: reference:
-"Principles of Astrology", Charles Carter
-"The Zodiac and the Soul", Charles Carter
-"Astrological Keywords", M. P. Hall
-"Encyclopedia of Astrology", Nicholas DeVore

...these books are easily available on the internet from vendors, also at many larger public libraries.