Will I earn my PhD in Neuroscience at UW-Madison?

ScarletK

Hello! I am new to this community and never knew Horary Astrology was a thing! Since discovering this technique, I've done a fair amount of reading about it (and read lots of the threads here). So I am very excited to post my first Horary question! With no further ado: Will I earn my PhD in Neuroscience from University of Wisconsin- Madison?

Thanks,

Scar

Attachments

• Horary_PhD UW Madison.png
    Horary_PhD UW Madison.png
    48.6 KB · Views: 42

waybread

One interpretation of a chart with an early degree rising is that it is too soon to tell. Otherwise, on average, I'd say that the chart is positive but that the program may be a lot more rigorous than you now realize.

The 9th house rules higher education. With Sagittarius on the cusp, Jupiter appropriately rules this house; but with Saturn as a tenant, we view him as a 9th house co-ruler. Venus (your significator) applies to a conjunction with Jupiter (good) and the moon applies to a sextile with Jupiter (good) but Venus and the moon are both in the signs of their detriment. This makes me wonder if your academic preparation for the doctoral program may not be as strong as you'd hoped. However, both Venus and the moon are angular. The moon is in-sect and highly elevated (good.) I think with a lot of hard work, the program will work out for you, so long as you are willing to make some extra effort.

BTW, I'm a retired academic. Regardless of what the horoscope shows, I think a doctoral program demands a lot of its students, so maybe the horoscope is merely showing the obvious.

Good luck with your program.

ScarletK

Waybread,

Thank you for your response! I got a similar reading myself. Can you elaborate on how Venus and the moon in the signs of their detriment could unfold? I believe it's entirely possible that I might feel more academically/intellectually prepared than I actually am but I also wonder (since the moon rules emotions) if I'm not emotionally prepared to take all the ego blows and other emotional difficulties associated with any doctorate program. I haven't actually applied for the program yet (but I am currently employed within the program). By asking this question, I was hoping to get a good sense of whether this was a good time to apply. I wonder if I should ask a different question and/or wait to apply. Seeing as how part of your response was it might be too early to know, how do you think I should proceed? Also, what did you research when you were an academic?

Thanks,
Scar

waybread

Some horary astrologers see the moon as the querent's co-significator. I think it makes the most sense to see it as showing the querent's emotional stake in the matter. Your 10th house moon could be interpreted as you having your eyes on the doctoral program as a career pathway. Indeed, a graduate program isn't the same as a liberal arts undergrad degree, but is a career pathway. The moon also works in a more active and abstract sense: if the moon is void-of-the-course (having made her last major aspect before leaving her sign) the querent's situation is unlikely to change. If it's in the via combusta, 15 Libra to 15 Scorpio, then the querent is probably also weakened.

A planet in detriment is in the sign opposite the one it rules. If your significator is in detriment, it shows a lack of strength. However, all is not lost. It may be in one of the angular houses or applying to a favourable aspect with one of the beneficial planets (Jupiter, in this case.)

I try to protect my privacy, but will say that I was in a field usually classified as a social science. I did work at research-intensive universities and supervised graduate students. My sense from "both sides now" is that a doctoral program demands that people develop a thick skin, and a willingness to focus almost entirely on one's research. If you have a plan for the type of research you want to do and which faculty members you want to work with to do it, that's important.

I wouldn't say that this is a bad time to apply. Usually these things are controlled by the department, as to whether students all need to start in September, or whether they can enter in January. This means that usually they have application deadlines. UW may handle things differently, however.

Finding the most auspicious date to apply for a program would fall under the heading of electional astrology. I find it to be tricky to do, as there are often some long-term hard transits that just aren't going away within the right time frame. But it doesn't hurt to play around with transits and see when you'd have the most going for you.

Incidentally, I began studying astrology ca. 1990 during a kind of dark night of the soul. I was in mid-career with a lot of favourable markers, but the center just wasn't holding. However, I kept astrology very much in the closet, as it would have not only jeopardized my standing within the department, but some of my colleagues would have feared that it would have jeopardized the reputation of the entire department. Hopefully your department is more relaxed about such things. I took an early retirement 11 years ago, and moved to a new location, so now I do what I want!