North Node and Career: What's the Significance

Hey There,

I recently finished the book, "SunShines: The Astrology of Being Happy" by Michael Lutin". The book offered a humble and relatable approach to how our karmic south nodes disrupt us from obtaining true balance, or our north node calling. I was reading the chapter of Security, and Lutin explained here that the native would achieve happiness through vocation. I was wondering how much the north node actually affects a native's career. Does part of fortune play a role too? What have been your experiences between your north node placement and your career choices?

-V
04/24/91 Memphis, TN, 8:45 PM

Claire19

You have your NN in the 3rd house Capricorn and a good aspect to the Moon in Virgo on the 11/10th cusp. So you would be involved with perhaps careers that deal with down to earth practical material matters. You could be involved in real estate with the Taurus Sun. Sales and advertising. Perhaps travelling with that. Perhaps a government connection. You may be involved in housing, taking care of the everyday details and being involved with horticulture, herbs, organic farming, pottery and the financial budgetting perhaps.

If you use equal house sign or whole sign then there are no interceptions.

Last edited:
You have your NN in the 3rd house Capricorn and a good aspect to the Moon in Virgo on the 11/10th cusp. So you would be involved with perhaps careers that deal with down to earth practical material matters. You could be involved in real estate with the Taurus Sun. Sales and advertising. Perhaps travelling with that. Perhaps a government connection. You may be involved in housing, taking care of the everyday details and being involved with horticulture, herbs, organic farming, pottery and the financial budgetting perhaps.

If you use equal house sign or whole sign then there are no interceptions.

That's interesting that you say that> I never thought of myself in real estate or dealing with things that are very 6th house/ Virgo related. I always thought my north node was in the eighth house, and associated me to a career in creativity (at least according to Lubin).

Is it possible the north node in career can point to one's passion and that would point to a career path?

Kannon

The Nodes have to do with general direction in life that can unify inner/outer (moon/sun). They do not indicate vocation, nor do they indicate material matters, just orientation/attitude. But of course, you will want to choose activities and occupations that don't obstruct the direction they indicate.

Example:
If you had your S.Node in the 7th house / N.Node in 1st this would generally indicate that as time goes on you will want to emphasize more self-directed activities and personal growth that it not dependent upon or interfered with (modified by) contacts with others.

The problem is that many birth charts are just not accurate enough on the Asc to do house-related interpretations of the Nodes. Sign position of the Nodes is very general, but still relevant. My own S.Node in Virgo indicates a past of orderliness, detail-orientation, practicality and critical views of life/self/others that I must draw upon in order to make use of my basic talents to grow and move towards other things. N.Node in Pisces indicated the need to learn a more spiritual, open-minded approach to life and others.

The difficulty with many of these pop astrology books is that they try to squeeze the big truth of grand self-realization out of just one chart factor. Can't be done.

Your chart:
S.Node in Cancer indicates starting with a sense of the importance of security and subjective personal needs and the importance of the roles of mother/women. N.Node in Capricorn indicates moving more towards constructive aims and self-parentage with a more proactive, time-aware look into the future rather than relying on the familiar or maintaining sentimental preferences.

With your N.Node nearly exactly parallel Neptune, you may have difficulty feeling you have a clear enough vision to move forward. So don't rely on vision. Relying on feeling your way, as indicated is more natural to you when looking at the S.Node. Don't treat the two poles as contradictory opposites. They are not. They are two balancing points on a continuum.

Notice that Mercury is square your Nodal axis. This is your key: Think, write, communicate to stay aware of your own internal resources and natural abilities and to keep yourself moving forward. Don't fall incommunicado. At times this approach might seem to get your in a bit of trouble. Just consider you may have lacked clarity (square Neptune).

In your case, because the N.Node is so tightly parallel Neptune, it could benefit you to get involved in some Neptunian activities to develop in a positive direction. Not on the assumption of it leading to a vocation/money making. Pull practical expectations out of it and just see where it goes. Painting, dancing, poetry, film making, etc, etc. Whatever Neptunian activities you think could help you. Although it does also indicate fantasy, hypnosis.

Etchasketch

The Nodes have to do with general direction in life that can unify inner/outer (moon/sun). They do not indicate vocation, nor do they indicate material matters, just orientation/attitude. But of course, you will want to choose activities and occupations that don't obstruct the direction they indicate.

Example:
If you had your S.Node in the 7th house / N.Node in 1st this would generally indicate that as time goes on you will want to emphasize more self-directed activities and personal growth that it not dependent upon or interfered with (modified by) contacts with others.

The problem is that many birth charts are just not accurate enough on the Asc to do house-related interpretations of the Nodes. Sign position of the Nodes is very general, but still relevant.

I'm a bit unclear as to what you mean by this. Is the house position only irrelevant if NN is in ascendancy?

Kannon

Unclear about which part of what I said?

Nothing I said had anything to do with either node being in Ascendancy - as in rising (1st quadrant). No.

JUPITERASC

Hey There,

I recently finished the book, "SunShines: The Astrology of Being Happy" by Michael Lutin". The book offered a humble and relatable approach to how our karmic south nodes disrupt us from obtaining true balance, or our north node calling. I was reading the chapter of Security, and Lutin explained here that the native would achieve happiness through vocation. I was wondering how much the north node actually affects a native's career. Does part of fortune play a role too? What have been your experiences between your north node placement and your career choices?

-V
04/24/91 Memphis, TN, 8:45 PM
we are limited to 100 word quotes by forum rules
and must not plagiarise :smile:
so here's a link to
PERSIAN NATIVITIES volume 1 Chapter 48
delineates Nodes in each of the twelve houses
http://www.bendykes.com/persians.php

Example:

The problem is that many birth charts are just not accurate enough on the Asc to do house-related interpretations of the Nodes. Sign position of the Nodes is very general, but still relevant. My own S.Node in Virgo indicates a past of orderliness, detail-orientation, practicality and critical views of life/self/others that I must draw upon in order to make use of my basic talents to grow and move towards other things. N.Node in Pisces indicated the need to learn a more spiritual, open-minded approach to life and others.

The difficulty with many of these pop astrology books is that they try to squeeze the big truth of grand self-realization out of just one chart factor. Can't be done.

Your chart:
S.Node in Cancer indicates starting with a sense of the importance of security and subjective personal needs and the importance of the roles of mother/women. N.Node in Capricorn indicates moving more towards constructive aims and self-parentage with a more proactive, time-aware look into the future rather than relying on the familiar or maintaining sentimental preferences.

With your N.Node nearly exactly parallel Neptune, you may have difficulty feeling you have a clear enough vision to move forward. So don't rely on vision. Relying on feeling your way, as indicated is more natural to you when looking at the S.Node. Don't treat the two poles as contradictory opposites. They are not. They are two balancing points on a continuum.

Notice that Mercury is square your Nodal axis. This is your key: Think, write, communicate to stay aware of your own internal resources and natural abilities and to keep yourself moving forward. Don't fall incommunicado. At times this approach might seem to get your in a bit of trouble. Just consider you may have lacked clarity (square Neptune).

In your case, because the N.Node is so tightly parallel Neptune, it could benefit you to get involved in some Neptunian activities to develop in a positive direction. Not on the assumption of it leading to a vocation/money making. Pull practical expectations out of it and just see where it goes. Painting, dancing, poetry, film making, etc, etc. Whatever Neptunian activities you think could help you. Although it does also indicate fantasy, hypnosis.

Ah, that makes sense. So it more of a life path continuum. I do wonder why the author would used career as a means to describe a path to happiness/ Perhaps the text wasn't meant to be taken so literally, but it's hard to read it in another way.

Have you noticed your N. Node in Pisces giving you direction in terms of your vocation?

Kannon

Well, it is true that we may spend a great deal of our lives in our vocation, so it is important that we know what we enjoy, what we can be good at and that it is compatible with our personal values and growth. But no, the Nodes in our chart do not indicate vocation.

No, North Node in Pisces has had no real effect on my vocation, except as to being more open rather than strictly practical.

Consider that the Nodes move backwards through the signs at a rate of about 1.5 years per sign. That is slower than Jupiter through each sign. That cannot possibly be an indicator specific to an individual's vocation -- or for that matter any level of individual characteristics. It is general, like Jupiter or Saturn by sign give general qualities that play out depending on aspects and where they are in the chart.

It is very tempting to attempt to bypass the complexity of astrology through a reductionism to a singular 'all important' factor to satisfy your soul or some such. There is on the one hand a desire to use astrology more intelligently for spiritual growth. On the other hand, reductionism has been a constant plague in modern astrology because I think people want to simplify something that is complex and cosmic in scale. It just doesn't work.

I cannot speak to the author's motivations, but we've gotten saturated with popular astrology books that engage in some form of reductionism or sugar-coating. Chicken Soup For the Soul versions of astrological folk wisdom. That's fine if you get some benefit, but anything packaged for the masses will not give you as an individual insights into yourself -- at least not without you doing a lot of follow-up work.

Vocation is indicated by 6th house. Career by 10th. Most charts taken 'as is' are not accurate enough on the Asc to be sure of an accurate reading of these houses.

Just learn about yourself and follow your curiosity and passion in life. If your passion in life is art, then there is nothing I can say relative to your birth chart that should steer you from that. You may not be able to make a living at art, but there has never been such a guarantee. Just keep following your passion -- whether you profit from it or not.

Kannon

In addition, many astrologers seem to get caught on the duality snag of linear thinking.

The South Node and North Node are not 'opposites' that contradict each other. They are not even material bodies. They are balancing points on an ongoing spectrum. The distinction is very important. With duality consciousness snagged on linear thinking people think in terms of lines and superimpose them upon even obviously cyclical dynamics, like time. Time is not linear, but cyclical (spiral).

So reject such thinking as South Node indicates what I 'cannot' be/do and North Node indicates what I 'must' be/do instead. Nonsense. The two are inter-dependent. One cannot be defined without the other.

I know this may seem to muddy things up, but you cannot find wisdom by superimposing linear thinking onto something that is not linear.

In addition, many astrologers seem to get caught on the duality snag of linear thinking.

The South Node and North Node are not 'opposites' that contradict each other. They are not even material bodies. They are balancing points on an ongoing spectrum. The distinction is very important. With duality consciousness snagged on linear thinking people think in terms of lines and superimpose them upon even obviously cyclical dynamics, like time. Time is not linear, but cyclical (spiral).

So reject such thinking as South Node indicates what I 'cannot' be/do and North Node indicates what I 'must' be/do instead. Nonsense. The two are inter-dependent. One cannot be defined without the other.

I know this may seem to muddy things up, but you cannot find wisdom by superimposing linear thinking onto something that is not linear.

Thank you for clarifying. I think I've been reading a lot of things "wrong" or at least too literal >_<. It's a learning process though