Sun and Mars aspects

7401Rizey

It would depend on the whole chart obviously.

Since the Sun and Mars are hot, active, and fiery planets

I've always wondered about Sun and Mars aspects in terms of

which one has more impact, strength and expression in a chart. They both have similar ways of operating, although Mars is the more active one!

for example: A Sun Uranus aspect and a Mars Uranus aspect

are obviously too different aspects, but could be sort of similar because of the planetary functions between the two planets.

If a person had both of these aspects: Sun Uranus/Mars Uranus.. Uranus would be prominent, but how would you identity the energies that are presented here in the individual chart?

waybread

Uranus is a modern planet but you might think about a chart in somewhat traditional terms. A planet in the sign it rules is strengthened. This would be sun in Leo, and Mars in Aries or Scorpio. (Pluto is the modern ruler of Scorpio but before it was discovered in 1930 astrologers used Mars as ruler of Scorpio. Many still do.)

Then think about the house. The first and 10th houses are the most prominent. In contrast, people with an 8th or 12th house sun tend to be private.

With aspects, generally the trines and sextiles are harmonious, but the squares and oppositions can give the person difficulty. With sun square Uranus, for example, the person may self-identify (sun) as a rebel or trouble-maker (Uranus) even when this behaviour is self-defeating.

Sun conjunct Mars can give the person a lot of energy.

7401Rizey

Okay, so I understand what you're saying, in terms of traditional rulership and houses.

I guess what I'm trying to unpack is in terms of differentiating the difference between similar energies between planets that almost has the same function, but are aspected differently.

I'll take your example: Mars in Scorpio.

Mars is very strong in Scorpio, which is the sign that it rules.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is like, Sun and Mars have similar energy, because they're both hot planets, Although Sun is about the vitality and shinning a light, and Mars is about action and drive,

so let's use Scorpio again... Would Sun in aspect to Pluto, let's say in the 5th house (Sun) aspecting the 1st house (pluto) have similar energies to say, Mars in Scorpio in the 8th house?

I know it's a confusing question, but I always felt like a Mars aspect to any planet, actually activates the aspect of those planets way more than the Sun aspect to any planet. How I look at it, it's like the Sun appears to give off those energies based on presence, but Mars is the one that really shows what those energies are actually capable of.

Like Sun Uranus identifies as the rebel, as the troublemaker; the outcast
but Mars Uranus actually does trouble-making and acts out in being defiant and rebellious.

waybread

'It might help to distinguish between planets, signs, and houses.

The planet is the actor, like the subject of a sentence.

The sign shows how or in what manner a planet operates.

The house shows the area or domain of life where the planet operates.

Are you familiar with house cusp rulers (lords)? Basically you look at the planet ruling the sign on the house cusp to get more information on how the affairs of that house will function.

I've read two interpretations of house cusp rulers:

1. The house over which a planet rules serves the purposes of the house in which that planet stands. (Karen Hamaker-Zondag, a more modern approach.)

2. The planet ruling a house cusp would like to help the affairs of that house. How well (or poorly) it can do that depends upon the planet's own situation in the chart. (Demetra George, a more traditional approach.)

I'm a bit confused by your example, but when you have two planets in a close aspect, they affect how the other planet operates. We might say, with sun trine Pluto, that the sun gets Plutonized, and Pluto gets solarized. But compared with Mars in Scorpio in the 8th, were looking at different signs and houses; and then if Mars aspects another planet, it will partake of some of that other planet's nature.

Whether this goes easily or with difficulty depends upon how Mars is aspected.

Last edited: