Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Natal Astrology > Houses & cusps

Houses & cusps For discussions on houses and house cusps (i.e. planets on angles, house stelliums and so on)


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 12-02-2011, 02:50 PM
socrates's Avatar
socrates socrates is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 326
Is the ASC only a mask?

If the ASC is our mask how come that even when alone I have the gemini tendency to be fidgety or unable to keep still,?

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 12-02-2011, 07:05 PM
astrologer50's Avatar
astrologer50 astrologer50 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 13,695
Re: Is the ASC only a mask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates View Post
If the ASC is our mask how come that even when alone I have the gemini tendency to be fidgety or unable to keep still,?
Because the Asc is not a mask per se, it's your outward mode of expressions, that are obvious to others, your presentation. BUT it's not what's going on underneath either, that's you sun sign, your core beliefs and values....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 12-02-2011, 07:59 PM
kimbermoon's Avatar
kimbermoon kimbermoon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mission B.C
Posts: 2,686
Re: Is the ASC only a mask?

If your Sun is close to the Ascendant or there are other planets conjoined with the Sun, the Gemini energy would be more consistent...I do speak of the Rising sign as being the mask of personality, which is often quite different from the true inner self...the Rising sign typically projects a persona that has been developed through childhood conditioning, reaction patterns and the attempt to balance the inner self with the outer persona...What might be your Moon sign? The persona is represented by the combination between the Sun, Moon and Rising sign, rather than by just the Ascendant alone. Personally I disagree with the notion that the Sun represents our true self, for it is more external in expression while it is the Moon that shows what lies beneath...there are many individuals who exhibit different qualities than their Sun sign would denote...I also think that often we only grow into our Sun sign in the later years, once we have learned how to control and balance our conflicting energies...
being fidgety and restless can be the traits of any of the mutable signs, especially with Virgo and Pisces involved. Also nervousness and uncertainty can be engendered by Neptune
__________________
Namaste
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 12-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Choe Choe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 326
Re: Is the ASC only a mask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrologer50 View Post
Because the Asc is not a mask per se, it's your outward mode of expressions, that are obvious to others, your presentation. BUT it's not what's going on underneath either, that's you sun sign, your core beliefs and values....
Asc is also our need,very relevant for our happiness and overall well being.

We should enhance our asc. In contrary,we would feel uncompleted. Asc is also a person's destiny.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 12-02-2011, 08:33 PM
socrates's Avatar
socrates socrates is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 326
Re: Is the ASC only a mask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choe View Post
Asc is also our need,very relevant for our happiness and overall well being.

We should enhance our asc. In contrary,we would feel uncompleted. Asc is also a person's destiny.
from capricorn sun ,i think i got this fear of being caught air headed or daydreaming,being emotional, also a concern for not being noticed for the wrong reasons,but i have a rebellious streak,like to keep my individuality.
the sun is a mask, when i find myself abroad or where peoles opinion dont matter so much, i tend to be intelectual,expressive, especially in countries i like
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 12-02-2011, 08:43 PM
astrologer50's Avatar
astrologer50 astrologer50 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 13,695
Re: Is the ASC only a mask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choe View Post
Asc is also our need,very relevant for our happiness and overall well being.

We should enhance our asc. In contrary,we would feel uncompleted. Asc is also a person's destiny.
Really?? I thought North Node was destiny and karmic....
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 12-02-2011, 10:02 PM
socrates's Avatar
socrates socrates is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 326
Re: Is the ASC only a mask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrologer50 View Post
Because the Asc is not a mask per se, it's your outward mode of expressions, that are obvious to others, your presentation. BUT it's not what's going on underneath either, that's you sun sign, your core beliefs and values....

http://books.google.pt/books?id=0Unwpok ... &q&f=false

Hi
From the excerpts ive been able to read of the book advised by Kannon, its one for placidus.
He says that with Mars in h9,youre more daring abroad,with Saturn there in Aquarius,you fear air travel, although im cured now.
Both apply to me and can only be possible using Placidus and possibly having been born about 5 minutes earlier,to have my Mars closer to 9th cusp
On page 225 and 258 he mentions day a year progression have had the most accurate predictions using aspects by declination than by longitude.
How do i calculate aspects by declination? Is that available at astro.com

thanks
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 12-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Rebel Uranian's Avatar
Rebel Uranian Rebel Uranian is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: My natural habitat
Posts: 2,090
Re: Is the ASC only a mask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates View Post
with Saturn there in Aquarius,you fear air travel
Waitwhat? I'd have to see your chart. Saturn's domicile is Aquarius and Capricorn, and as a matter of fact it is usually considered better in Aquarius than Capricorn, especially as Saturn rules the Air triplicity by day and all that.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 12-02-2011, 10:24 PM
Moog's Avatar
Moog Moog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In The Litter Tray
Posts: 2,701
Re: Is the ASC only a mask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates View Post
http://books.google.pt/books?id=0Unwpok ... &q&f=false

Hi
From the excerpts ive been able to read of the book advised by Kannon, its one for placidus.
He says that with Mars in h9,youre more daring abroad,with Saturn there in Aquarius,you fear air travel, although im cured now.
Both apply to me and can only be possible using Placidus and possibly having been born about 5 minutes earlier,to have my Mars closer to 9th cusp
On page 225 and 258 he mentions day a year progression have had the most accurate predictions using aspects by declination than by longitude.
How do i calculate aspects by declination? Is that available at astro.com

thanks
There's a link at the top of astro.com charts ('view the additional tables') which will take you to a PDF with various information. You will find 'declination' heading one of the columns of data. That's what you want to look at.
__________________
My Chart, Tropical
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread 12-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Choe Choe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 326
Re: Is the ASC only a mask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates View Post
from capricorn sun ,i think i got this fear of being caught air headed or daydreaming,being emotional, also a concern for not being noticed for the wrong reasons,but i have a rebellious streak,like to keep my individuality.
the sun is a mask, when i find myself abroad or where peoles opinion dont matter so much, i tend to be intelectual,expressive, especially in countries i like
I agree that the Sun could be more our outward mask,than the asc, as sun is a very public planet.

The asc is our character. Haven't you all noticed that when you wake up in the morning,the way one behaves is according to their asc? As the 1st house is early morning. And later, when they get dressed ,go out, they behave more like their Sun,or sun's ruler?

For example, Scorpio asc can be very dark after waking up,and generally they are slow wakers, as I suppose all water ascendents are.

Last edited by Choe; 12-02-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Choe For This Useful Post:
Gododdin Votadini (04-02-2013)
  #11  
Unread 12-02-2011, 10:45 PM
socrates's Avatar
socrates socrates is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 326
Re: Is the ASC only a mask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Uranian View Post
Waitwhat? I'd have to see your chart. Saturn's domicile is Aquarius and Capricorn, and as a matter of fact it is usually considered better in Aquarius than Capricorn, especially as Saturn rules the Air triplicity by day and all that.
Still,one tends to be wary in Saturns area.My chart is a few posts above but here it is again
Attached Images
File Type: gif astro_w2gw_01_ll_m_hp_42715_7433.gif (45.1 KB, 7 views)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Unread 12-02-2011, 10:45 PM
Choe Choe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 326
Re: Is the ASC only a mask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrologer50 View Post
Really?? I thought North Node was destiny and karmic....
I view the north node as a mission.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Unread 12-02-2011, 11:01 PM
MaeMae MaeMae is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,186
Re: Is the ASC only a mask?

I don't believe it's mask. It's an orientation to how we approach the world separate from ourself. MC is how the world percieves us.
Neptune rising would lend mask tendencies, I think. Only because those folks are cursed with being whomever others' see them as.
Who mentioned greeting the morning?
I have Leo rising sextile Moon Gemini, opp. Sun and square Neptune ~ I am up and at it early, sunny and chirpy to anyone in earshot. I sing while I make breakfast and coffee. I start my hunt early in fridge for day's meals, I ALWAYS look in mirror first thing and decide which physical aspects I am comfortable with that day and I dress to maximize them.
It's the Mars house. It's how we propel ourselves into each new situation we encounter. I think the sign on asc. has much more to do with confidence and approach. How that is integrated depends on planets near in aspect to asc.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Unread 12-02-2011, 11:06 PM
Rebel Uranian's Avatar
Rebel Uranian Rebel Uranian is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: My natural habitat
Posts: 2,090
Re: Is the ASC only a mask?

The Ascendant is a lot more than a mask. I consider the chart angles (which I consider to be AC/DC and MC/IC axes, not merely AC and MC points) to be the single most important thing, although you can't do much anything with them alone being known. The Ascendant is our first experience with anything. Since we inevitably must base all of our other perceptions on first impressions, it is essentially our eyes and ears - and the 1st house does rule the face.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Unread 12-03-2011, 12:08 AM
Moog's Avatar
Moog Moog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In The Litter Tray
Posts: 2,701
Re: Is the ASC only a mask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Uranian View Post
The Ascendant is a lot more than a mask. I consider the chart angles (which I consider to be AC/DC and MC/IC axes, not merely AC and MC points) to be the single most important thing, although you can't do much anything with them alone being known. The Ascendant is our first experience with anything. Since we inevitably must base all of our other perceptions on first impressions, it is essentially our eyes and ears - and the 1st house does rule the face.
That's interesting. So you are in effect saying that the Ascendant is the filter through which we perceive the world? I can certainly entertain that idea.
__________________
My Chart, Tropical
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Unread 12-03-2011, 12:11 AM
Rebel Uranian's Avatar
Rebel Uranian Rebel Uranian is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: My natural habitat
Posts: 2,090
Re: Is the ASC only a mask?

Yes. I think the MC does something similar but I haven't figured out how to explain what.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Unread 12-03-2011, 04:40 AM
sequestra sequestra is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Air
Posts: 549
Re: Is the ASC only a mask?

This "waking up in the morning in the guise of our ascendant sign and settling into our sun later on in the day" concept is new to me.

But perhaps that's why I always wake up giddily optimistic (Jupiter) and am melancholic/insecure/fretful by evening (pisces).

Still not sure I buy it though.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Unread 12-03-2011, 10:49 AM
Choe Choe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 326
Re: Is the ASC only a mask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequestra View Post
This "waking up in the morning in the guise of our ascendant sign and settling into our sun later on in the day" concept is new to me.

But perhaps that's why I always wake up giddily optimistic (Jupiter) and am melancholic/insecure/fretful by evening (pisces).

Still not sure I buy it though.
It's new to ya, because it's my own theory and observation!

You don't have to buy it, however we all know that 1st house is the start of the day.

And I need to add to this thread, I dislike that harsh slitting Sun vs Asc. Both are similar, both are outward.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Unread 12-03-2011, 03:25 PM
astrologer50's Avatar
astrologer50 astrologer50 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 13,695
Re: Is the ASC only a mask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates View Post
http://books.google.pt/books?id=0Unwpok ... &q&f=false

Hi
From the excerpts ive been able to read of the book advised by Kannon, its one for placidus.
He says that with Mars in h9,youre more daring abroad,with Saturn there in Aquarius,you fear air travel, although im cured now.
Both apply to me and can only be possible using Placidus and possibly having been born about 5 minutes earlier,to have my Mars closer to 9th cusp
On page 225 and 258 he mentions day a year progression have had the most accurate predictions using aspects by declination than by longitude.
How do i calculate aspects by declination? Is that available at astro.com

thanks
declinations are avaiable on astro...

parallel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrological_aspect#Declinations
http://www.skyviewzone.com/astrology/parallels.htm
http://en.mimi.hu/astrology/contraparallel.html
http://www2.bitstream.net/~bunlion/bpi/Glossary3.html
http://www.cafeastrology.com/natal/declinationsparallels.html
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum...ad.php?t=40285
http://www.librarising.com/astrology...clination.html
http://www.myastrologybook.com/aspects-and-orbs.htm
http://www.solsticepoint.com/1declination.htm
“PARALLEL: Two or more planets that are equal distant from the celestial equator, with each stellar body being either north OR south in declination. The influence is much like a conjunction”
http://astrology.findyourfate.com/

Contraparallel :
An aspect formed when two planets are in opposite declination, that is, when they are the same distance from the celestial equator, one north of it and one south. Generally considered to operate like an opposition.
http://www2.bitstream.net/~bunlion/bpi/Glossary.html#C
“CONTRA-PARALLEL: Two or more planets that are equal distant from the celestial equator, with one stellar body being north in declination and the other body being south. The influence is considered to be much like a opposition, although some consider similar to the conjunction.”
http://astrology.findyourfate.com/

You can get these free from astro.com when you get your chart go to top left just above chart, see option. What to look for are when there is no aspect natally but a parallel in declination
View the additional tables (PDF)
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to astrologer50 For This Useful Post:
StillConfused (08-13-2013)
  #20  
Unread 12-03-2011, 03:32 PM
astrologer50's Avatar
astrologer50 astrologer50 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 13,695
Re: Is the ASC only a mask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moog View Post
That's interesting. So you are in effect saying that the Ascendant is the filter through which we perceive the world? I can certainly entertain that idea.
to a point I agree

Basic astrology
Now basically your sun sign is your 'core beliefs, values, ego' and Asc is your physical body, mode of expression and mask and persona that we all wear and hide behind, but definitely not what's going on underneath. What's going on underneath is your Sun sign. Moon sign, house placements and aspects describe your emotional and intuitive responses, also describes your view of your mother, as saturn describes your father by sign and house position.

So, think of a glass milk bottle the bottle is your Asc and your sun the milk, but the milk still has to 'come out' through the glass neck of the milk bottle....

Now aspects within a natal chart represent 'facets' of our personality, because we are all multifaceted beings. What these do is 'break down and compartmentalise' these facets into smaller bite size chunks. This does take quite a lot of self analysis and objectivity to 'see yourself' and why you do certain things and behave in certain ways. Actually it can be quite good therapy...

Remember back to your school days an opposition is 180', square 90', trine 120', and sextile 60' Now challenged aspects are conj (depending on the planets, cos some like each other and some really don't) squares and oppositions. Easy aspects are conj (if the planets get along) eg: Jupiter conj Moon, sextile and trine. Quincunx is inbetween (depending on the planets) causes health strains and unresolved or hard to balance planets/energies.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Unread 12-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Rebel Uranian's Avatar
Rebel Uranian Rebel Uranian is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: My natural habitat
Posts: 2,090
Re: Is the ASC only a mask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choe View Post
And I need to add to this thread, I dislike that harsh slitting Sun vs Asc. Both are similar, both are outward.
The Sun is extroverted/masculine but it's not "a mask" or anything shallow. The Ascendant isn't merely a mask either, it's our first experiences with anything, but it is a lot more "shallow" than the Sun. Outward things are real parts of our being. Extroversion is not in any way inferior to introversion or vice versa.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Unread 12-03-2011, 09:13 PM
kimbermoon's Avatar
kimbermoon kimbermoon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mission B.C
Posts: 2,686
Re: Is the ASC only a mask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaeMae View Post
I don't believe it's mask. It's an orientation to how we approach the world separate from ourself. MC is how the world percieves us.
.
I agree about your theory of orientation; I think that it is also our response to our subconcious conditioning especially from the parents in our early years and the subconscious imprinted reactions that have often become habitual. Calling it a mask is not to imply that we consciously and deliberately put on a disguise, most of it is a subconscious pattern that moderates our inner self to variable degrees; it is our first line of self-defense, where we have learned how to adapt to our physical and material demands.
Also if the Sun is closer to the Ascendant then it will be apt to have more influence on our persona.

Also the angular houses represent major developmental stages in our lives: in the 4th house we are being largely conditioned as to our reactions, our beliefs and values. Then at the age of 7, as we enter into the social arena, moving away from the parents, the energies are transferred to the Ascendant, where we begin to develop more of our own personality so as to be acceptable to the world. As the energy flows towards the 7th house around the age of 14, we begin to try to differentiate from our parents even more , represented by early rage against the parents and desire for independence [the teen rebellion is an aspect of the workings of Saturn]. Then at the age of 21, the energies have moved towards expression through the 10th where we will either meet achievement or failure which causes us to return back to our 4th house issues and try to sort through the baggage we have accumulated...and then the cycle, which is all part of the Saturn cycle, begins anew.
__________________
Namaste
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Unread 12-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Rebel Uranian's Avatar
Rebel Uranian Rebel Uranian is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: My natural habitat
Posts: 2,090
Re: Is the ASC only a mask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbermoon View Post
[the teen rebellion is an aspect of the workings of Saturn].
Interesting. Most people today say that Saturn represents, among other things, conformity, but I seriously doubt it means conformity in the sense of the word that most people think it means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbermoon View Post
Then at the age of 21, the energies have moved towards expression through the 10th where we will either meet achievement or failure which causes us to return back to our 4th house issues and try to sort through the baggage we have accumulated...and then the cycle, which is all part of the Saturn cycle, begins anew.
What about the 7th house?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Unread 12-03-2011, 09:29 PM
Moog's Avatar
Moog Moog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In The Litter Tray
Posts: 2,701
Re: Is the ASC only a mask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbermoon View Post
I agree about your theory of orientation; I think that it is also our response to our subconcious conditioning especially from the parents in our early years and the subconscious imprinted reactions that have often become habitual. Calling it a mask is not to imply that we consciously and deliberately put on a disguise, most of it is a subconscious pattern that moderates our inner self to variable degrees; it is our first line of self-defense, where we have learned how to adapt to our physical and material demands.
Also if the Sun is closer to the Ascendant then it will be apt to have more influence on our persona.

Also the angular houses represent major developmental stages in our lives: in the 4th house we are being largely conditioned as to our reactions, our beliefs and values. Then at the age of 7, as we enter into the social arena, moving away from the parents, the energies are transferred to the Ascendant, where we begin to develop more of our own personality so as to be acceptable to the world. As the energy flows towards the 7th house around the age of 14, we begin to try to differentiate from our parents even more , represented by early rage against the parents and desire for independence [the teen rebellion is an aspect of the workings of Saturn]. Then at the age of 21, the energies have moved towards expression through the 10th where we will either meet achievement or failure which causes us to return back to our 4th house issues and try to sort through the baggage we have accumulated...and then the cycle, which is all part of the Saturn cycle, begins anew.
That's very interesting... thank you Kimbermoon

Quote:
[the teen rebellion is an aspect of the workings of Saturn]
Saturn would be doing a half return (opposing the natal saturn) in those early teen years.
__________________
My Chart, Tropical
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Unread 12-03-2011, 10:03 PM
kimbermoon's Avatar
kimbermoon kimbermoon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mission B.C
Posts: 2,686
Re: Is the ASC only a mask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Uranian View Post
Interesting.
What about the 7th house?
my personal life experiences have taught me that Saturn is in fact the Great Taskmaster...it sets us up through challenges meant to incite our personal evolution, as such challenges are given to us for a reason, to discharge our personal karma and to learn through wisdom...it is also about the law of cause and effect; as above so below' It's 30 year cycle is a strong determinant of our developmental phases, and we are challenged in 7-year increments. Yes around the age of 14, Saturn is at it's opposition, thus is consistent with teenage rebellion...think about it...while our parents try to train us to conform, during the teen years we want to rebel in order to find our own self-autonomy; thus the conflicts agains authority, which Saturn also activates within us...

what about the 7th house – this is where we tend to merge with others as we express our social selves. I see the Descendant as the Gateway of sorts, where we either feel impelled to move further out into the world [up through the 3rd quarter of the chart towards the MC]; or if we have experienced no support and encouragement through our peer relationships, there is often the a tendency to turn back to the self and focus more on developing our personal skills through the 6th house, experiencing romance and affection through the 5th and then back to our domestic roots and then the cycle begins again. As Grant Lewi documented the Saturn cycle is a highly significant timetable of our individual development...and every 7 years we get more testing to see how much we have learned...
__________________
Namaste
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mask

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What would you say if you saw me walking down the street cassie_luv Read My Chart 7 03-01-2009 07:12 PM
Why Midheaven over IC? gimzo23 Houses & cusps 58 02-27-2009 04:48 PM
Dumb question...What does the Sun mean in a Natal?? Junke Read My Chart 29 12-21-2008 07:17 PM
Capricorns: Where Do They Roam? MamaMinnee Natal Astrology 20 07-11-2008 06:49 PM
god, grant me the serenity........ Liquid Green Astrology and Psychology 46 11-30-2007 02:20 AM



All times are GMT. The time now is 08:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2005-2018, AstrologyWeekly.com. Boards' structure and all posts are property of AstrologyWeekly.com and their respective creators. No part of the messages sent on these boards may be copied without their owners' explicit consent.