Law of Attraction? Is it real? Vision Boards, focused energy, repeating mantras...

Ekonomist13

I'll only tell you what I know from psychology and experience. I'll leave out my own opinions.

It's about the locus of control, which can be external or internal (it's always on a continuum, expressed as a percentage).

Believing in some higher force and praying to it makes you have external locus of control, and so you would believe that you can't really impact what you're gonna get, it's set in the stars and you can only do your part and hope it gets recognized.

This is considered dangerous, as it totally removes the factor of your actions influencing future.

And the other extreme is internal locus of control, confident and self-reliable people who do not rely on luck or some higher forces to get what they want. The downside to this is such people tend to be overly critical of themselves and others due to their belief that everything is in their power to control.

From my experience, theory of attraction is what you're subconsciously doing (or should be doing) if your locus of control lies somewhere in between. That is, if you're going to focus your brain and other resources towards a specific goal, chances are higher you're going to achieve it. It's just math, statistics and management combined in one sort of philosophy of living.

The potential benefits of believe in theory of attraction are that, while you're aware that your actions DO have consequences, you're also aware that SOME things are LESS under your control, thus, by focusing your mental and physical activities toward a certain thing or a goal, you're instantenously living the best of the both "worlds": you're self-reliant but aware of the statistical and probabilistic nature of living.

Thus, it helps you be "down to earth" while having "spiritual dimension".

I woud like to insert just one opinion based on above mentioned arguments: Theory of attraction is most often (or should be most often) associated to Earth/water types of people, that is, a Taurus with Pisces rising, or one of the other similar combinations, exactly due to their "down to earth" vs "spiritual" dichotomy.

JUPITERASC

Love and compassion for all ~ Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
https://justdharma.com/s/t0v5s

Just as space is infinitely vast :smile:
so too is the number of sentient beings.

Yet we tend to think that the only relationships we have
with other beings are the tiny number, comparatively, that we have at present.
Wherever we live, we like a few people, dislike a few others, and ignore all the rest.
Based on this prejudiced and very limited perception of others
we keep giving rise to attachment and aggression.
Thus we accumulate karma, the driving force of samsara.
If we could see the endless sequence of lives we have led in the past
we would know that there is not a single being on earth
who has not been our father or our mother, not only once
but many times over.
To return the love and great kindness they have shown us
we must cultivate love and compassion for all of them
as the great enlightened ones do.
Above all, we should aspire from the depths of our heart
to be able to bring them to perfect enlightenment
without leaving a single one of them behind.
The merit arising from such an aspiration
is in proportion to the number of beings, so
the wish to liberate innumerable beings
can engender an immeasurable amount of merit.
– Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
from the book "The Hundred Verses of Advice: Tibetan Buddhist Teachings on What Matters Most"
ISBN: 978-1590303412

71645443_2398111277174020_3730479782941425664_n.jpg

JUPITERASC

A SINGLE CAUSE WILL NOT BRING A RESULT

There are people who are thinking :
“I’m giving, I’m always generous
but
I’m not getting any happiness yet.”
Right? The result of that generosity, the happiness
is not like a flashlight.
You can’t switch it on and everything is bright.
It needs time.
To bring the result back, it also needs other causes :smile:

That’s why Dharmakirti, and all those philosophers say:
A single cause cannot bring any kind of result.
To get a result takes many causes.
Something like that, right?
Some people have done a little virtue
and expect a result really soon.
Some people did a lot and the result did not come in immediately.
It arrived on a delay.
Why? We don’t know why. We cannot tell exactly.
If you throw down two eggs and one egg breaks and the other one did not
you can get an answer immediately. You can explain it.

You cannot explain the karmic system that way.
It’s not that simple.
In that case, here we are talking about karmic causality.
It’s important.
Otherwise you cannot explain samsara.
You cannot explain the cycle of life.

You can tell an animal eats a tree or bush, and then they die
and become compost, [laughter] and the grass grows again.
These kinds of cycles are not hard to see.
You can see everything in your small part.
But that cannot explain samsara.
It can only explain the cycle of vegetation and these things
but it cannot explain samsara.
So to explain samsara, you have to know the cause and effect
of your acts and your mind, and your karma
and the reason it comes through that way.
If you understand samsara pretty well
then you will get reasons we should do certain things and reasons
why we should not do certain things.
~ Demo Rinpoche, Jewel Heart Ann Arbor
2019 Lam Rim Session 27
RINPOCHE'S LAM RIM: STAGES ON THE PATH
TEACHINGS ON-DEMAND
https://www.jewelheart.org/…/2019-lam-rim-with-demo-rinpoc…/

69812071_2425930750817949_6748786325291270144_n.jpg

Jacklier

Ive been using this formila ( law of attraction ) for years now. Its more on subconscious level that the law is really working. Just want it and forget about it, in a way. It works for both wantings and fears. It attracts what your brain is sending to it. It just sees the picture and the process begins, no matter if the words are "I want this", "Im scared if this happens", ect. I live in а social environment, where people are quite sad, deppressed, materialistic, lonely, a lot of anxiety and when i become student this law has gotten me with people who were what ive wrote seconds ago. At one point ive wanted to change my mind and started to say "People are good, people are kind, people help each-other, ect. and all a sudden 70-80% of the people i attracted were these good vibe people. I`ve starded to change my mind about my future and i rearranged all my inner life ( wantings, searchings, realistic ambitions, ect. ). Because im a male and ive searched for a good woman to communicate with... well, fate met me with a girl who, if we look at our charts, either we were relatives or spouses in past life. Ive made a topic about her in the forum.
I take law of attraction really seriously on subconscious level, because everybody say "i want to have a nice relationship" ( for example ), but in their mind they doubt it and say "Yeah, yeah... i bet some alcoholic will fall in love with me...as far as i know my luck in life"...

Last edited: