What happened to my computer?

Derestanne

Tikana,

The Gent you refer to should either limit himself to virtual (cybersex) relationships or find an Aquarian Gal who moans at the sight of Liquid Supercoolers and a 50 inch HD flatscreen. I rest my case!

Derestanne

Nexus,

Jim Maynard's Pocket Astrologer says this Mercury Retrograde ends today, February 18th at 6:57 PM Pacific Standard Time.

I have a software clock running a backwards countdown to the exact Mercury Station moment, on my liquid supercooled computer, with a 50 inch HD Display of the time in my livingroom! With Mercury being my Ruling Planet, this event is more important to me than Chinese New Year or a Space Shuttle Launch!

Glad to hear your comp is back to normal. You should watch it for a while just in case, like Tikana said, you have an Adware / Spyware Program that may attempt to "reload" itself. Depending on what it is, that could put you back to square one.

If you know how to use "Windows Explorer" you might want to look and see if there are any suspicious folders on your "Tree" View (left hand window in Explorer). Check your "Program Files" Folder in particular and look for anything that you are absolutely certain that you never downloaded or installed. But whatever you do, IF YOU FIND A SUSPICIOUS FOLDER, NEVER CLICK ON ANY EXECUTIBLE FILE! THAT COULD TRIGGER A DISASTER!

You can obtain lists on the Internet of Adware and Spyware that will create folders and what suspicious names to look for. Another "High Powered Rifle" in the War against Malware is a Program called "Hijack This!" which you can get as a free download. The Crew on Computing.Net know all about Hijack This! and they can help you install it and they can analyze the "Hijack This" Report from your own Hard Drive and let you know if you are clean or still at risk and what to do about it.

Don't loose any sleep about all of this. Recently I tried a free Program called "Spyware Terminator" and it found a dozen pieces of trouble that my Ad-Aware Program did not find. At any given moment, anyone's computer is probably infected with several dozen Malware Files. Life goes on even with Malware, Lousy Presidents and worse VP's. :D LOL!

Derestanne

Coffee,

8 Hours, 19 minutes, 36.50 seconds of Mercury Retrograde left.

Sorry I couldn't get your notebook across the finish line! Again, try a substitute power pack. Have someone check the voltage and current on your power pack output cord. I'll bet power pack is failing; too weak to charge the battery or operate the notebook without the battery.

tikana

Derestanne said:
Tikana,

The Gent you refer to should either limit himself to virtual (cybersex) relationships or find an Aquarian Gal who moans at the sight of Liquid Supercoolers and a 50 inch HD flatscreen. I rest my case!

Actually he is dating a cool Virgorian.. she is quite normal

T

Nexus7

Looks like I was over-optimistic when I said my PC was ok, now it is playing up worse then ever.

So I will look at this hi-jack thingy. And maybe Mercury going direct really wil make a difference. Right now, the whole thing is really beginning to annoy me, not least because it makes me feel so blonde.

tikana

Nexus

just take your computer to a technician.. you cant cure a desease with astrology .. it is a waste of time. i guarantee you, you have so much junk files in your computer probably your registry is corrupted .. someon eneeds to clean your computer up

WHAT HI-JACK? no one is jacking your computer.. your computer is full of junk that is why it is acting like it is acting.. i usually end up clening my neice's computer every week or so.. she goes to some strange sites and gets viruses and spyware wihtout knowing then complains why her computer is acting up! uusually i have to clean it myself.. removing harddrive plugging into my computer and scanning it.. neverending process

i dont know about the rest but you are spinning your own wheels..

T

Nexus7 said:
Looks like I was over-optimistic when I said my PC was ok, now it is playing up worse then ever.

So I will look at this hi-jack thingy. And maybe Mercury going direct really wil make a difference. Right now, the whole thing is really beginning to annoy me, not least because it makes me feel so blonde.

Last edited:

Nexus7

I fear you are right: next topic. My ex landlady has told me that maybe her son might be able to do something, so fingers crossed. Also, I still rmember what happened last time there was something wrong: the problems are not always what you think they might be.

Nexus7

..and funnily enough, my PC really is now behaving normally. A system restore to the 1st February has improved things still further.

Only now.....there is a mistake meaning that 'Windows no longer recognises my USB cable.'

Remember, I said the trouble seemed to started after I linked my PDA to my PC. I was just trying to get to the bottom of what the problem might be rather than just spinning wheels forits own sake: this is where the problem lies...I did have some pretty good anti virus software and a registry cleaner, so I did wonder in the end if it could really be spyware. Maybe the techie son will know more, but I will be taking this cable to a GSM shop to have it looked at anyway.

Derestanne

Nexus,

Standard USB cables are either working or they're defective. If you use a USB "Laplink" type cable which requires a driver, this is another matter. I use a Laplink Cable for tasks such as swapping data between two computers through the USB sockets. If the Cable came with an installation CD-ROM, then try running that installation disc again and Windows will either re-install the required driver(s) for your Cable or Windows will get a life, see that the driver is already installed and allow the Cable to be accessed.

The same will be true if your PDA came with an installation disc with drivers. They may have to be installed again or windows will realize they are there when you run the install disc on your CD-ROM.

Also, assuming your PC is a desk system and not a notebook, use one of the rear panel USB socket(s). Front panel USB sockets often lack shielded wire connections to the motherboard and this can sometimes interefere with data transmission.

You have presumably taken your Registry back in time before you first connected your PDA. Take care when connecting the PDA this time. Run your spyware software right after connecting the PDA and see if the PDA dumped anything suspect into your PC.

Last edited:

tikana

Derestanne

I think we should beg Radu to open up a new part on the board

all non-astrologcal problems like computer, cell phones, video cams, PDAs go here

LOL

Tik

Derestanne said:
Nexus,

Standard USB cables are either working or they're defective. If you use a USB "Laplink" type cable which requires a driver, this is another matter. I use a Laplink Cable for tasks such as swapping data between two computers through the USB sockets. If the Cable came with an installation CD-ROM, then try running that installation disc again and Windows will either re-install the required driver(s) for your Cable or Windows will get a life, see that the driver is already installed and allow the Cable to be accessed.

The same will be true if your PDA came with an installation disc with drivers. They may have to be installed again or windows will realize they are there when you run the install disc on your CD-ROM.

Also, assuming your PC is a desk system and not a notebook, use one of the rear panel USB socket(s). Front panel USB sockets often lack shielded wire connections to the motherboard and this can sometimes interefere with data transmission.

You have presumably taken your Registry back in time before you first connected your PDA. Take care when connecting the PDA this time. Run your spyware software right after connecting the PDA and see if the PDA dumped anything suspect into your PC.

Moulin

noone can fix the cheeky monkey in you :p

Funnily enough l bought my ex (computer) :D in October 2001, in a mercury retrograde.
We were blissfully wed until last summer when suddenly it died, just like yours :O

Now l have an Apple and ahhhhh... no more computer problems :D
coffee said:
Yeah, that worked...so far :D
ey...I have a problem with the delete key and it keeps deleting and going back on web pages etc......problem mentioned in the 1st post.
Warranty is over...so no good.

Can you fix that problem too?

Last edited:

Derestanne

Tikana,

Yes, that might be a good idea. I was very active on a Wicca Forum years ago and they had a "Technology" Q & A section. Radu recently asked about Astrology Programs for his PDA, so I imagine he'll be receptive. Likely he is viewing this discussion!

Would you like the honors or shall I pop the question to him? ;)