To "Mars": Vedic vs. western ascendants

waybread

Mars, I couldn't respond to your PM via PM as your mailbox is full, so hopefully you will catch my reply here. You raised an interesting question about why you have a different rising sign in western vs. Hindu astrology. Hopefully others can respond, as well.

There is an astronomical reason for the differences. If you look up the precession of the equinoxes, you will note that from an earth-centered perspective, over the centuries, the sun at the spring equinox would appear to be slipping backwards in the sky, eventually into the preceding sign. Hindu astrology (using the sidereal zodiac) more or less keeps pace with these changes.

Western astrologers about 2000 years ago decided to fix the equinoxes to their seasons, so that the spring equinox would always stay at 0 degrees Aries. Most use the so-called tropical zodiac, although there are a few siderealists.

The two systems are now about 27 degrees apart, so unless someone has the ascendant in a very late degree of a sign in western astrology, it will appear in the previous sign in Vedic astrology.

Then the two systems have a range of interpretive similariites and differences.

I would suggest you try out both systems, and see which one seems like the best fit for you.