Lacking water element shocked me

mysticmermaid

Hi everyone!

I'm new here so I apologize if this is the wrong forum to ask this in, but I'm wondering if anyone has any insight on my confusion. I realized yesterday that I've never taken note of the composition and percentages of the elements in my chart, so I found that out.

I was shocked that I'm completely lacking water! I've done a bunch of research into what that means and it sounds nothing like me. I'm very empathetic, and have always been. I also connect with water as an element strongly and have always loved the ocean, which I know can be because I'm lacking water but still.

It's true that I am able to control my emotions pretty well and I'll definitely agree that I tend to be practical and private. But they're very much there, and present. I'm air dominant so all about communication, and I'm notoriously the person people go to for advice. I cry easily and love hard, and I'm picky about who I show my affection to but I'm also highly affectionate. I've never faked emotion or felt like I couldn't express my feelings or sympathize with others, in fact it's mostly the opposite. No part of me sounds at all like what I'm reading all water deficient people are like and I'm confused.

Anyone relate, or have any insight? I'm curious. Thank you!

Last edited:

mle6321

I found your question interesting because my chart completely lacks air signs! I’ve found that this lack in air quality keeps me super grounded, stable, and calm, but at times prudent, gullible and overly trusting.. I came across a page about charts lacking water signs and found that these aspects in one’s chart can often compensate for this lack of the element:

Moon in, or ruling, a water house (particularly the 4th house)
Moon conjunct Sun
Moon conjunct Neptune
Moon conjunct Pluto
an emphasis on mutable signs in the chart

https://www.google.com/amp/s/astrolibrary.org/interpretations/weak-water/amp/

Check your chart to see if any of these aspects may give you water sign-like traits, such as being emotional or intuitive.

katydid

Also, if someone is totally lacking an element, they sometimes over compensate for that particular element.

I know someone with zero Water, and he is a compassionate hospice nurse. He is one of the most sympathetic, sensitive people I have ever known.

And, another example, Trump had no Earth in his natal chart, and he ended up being a huge land owner. Real Estate was his whole life.

So sometimes we purposely make up for what we feel is lacking. If that makes sense...:ninja:

Osamenor

Staff member
Mysticmermaid, do you have placements in your water houses (4, 8, and 12)? Do you have any conjunctions or aspects involving Neptune, particularly moon-Neptune? Those kinds of things create some water-like sensitivity.

I'm in a similar situation: only one water planet, and it's Saturn in Cancer. My chart is very water deficient. But I have a grand trine in the water houses/fire signs, involving my sun and moon, and a Neptune/moon conjunction. I am indeed quite emotional, and certainly capable of compassion.

But here's the crucial difference between someone like you or me and people with strong water charts: water sign emphasis creates empathy, in the sense of having your interpersonal boundaries blurred and being easily swayed by the emotions of others, to the point that action becomes difficult or impossible. People with little or no water in their charts are not so easily swayed by others' emotions. We might feel compassion, but we can still maintain some distance, even when faced with someone completely melting down. That actually can make it easier to act with compassion: we're not too wrapped up in the other person's emotions to think of what we can do to help.

Lykanized

Also, if someone is totally lacking an element, they sometimes over compensate for that particular element.

I know someone with zero Water, and he is a compassionate hospice nurse. He is one of the most sympathetic, sensitive people I have ever known.

And, another example, Trump had no Earth in his natal chart, and he ended up being a huge land owner. Real Estate was his whole life.

So sometimes we purposely make up for what we feel is lacking. If that makes sense...:ninja:
This is interesting. The only fire placements I have are my NN, BML, and my Chiron, the rest being primarily Water and Earth, but I relate so heavily to the fire element. Do you think house placements have an effect on elemental influence? Both my 1st and 5th houses are very active and it'd be interesting to see if the OP's water houses are active too

waybread

I have only one watery planet, Mars in Pisces in the 6th. Plus, I'm an INTJ.

I learned some years ago that "feeling with" someone was difficult to do, but I was in a work situation where picking up on people's emotional states when they were often trying to hide them would have been a super-useful skill. I tried to observe people more closely. However, Virgo (my rising sign) really likes to be helpful to people, as do 6th house planets.

Then Neptune in the first house can be the chameleon of the zodiac, turning into what we think other people want from us. If they want sympathy, we do sympathy.

Most of us, further, can learn to be good listeners.

mysticmermaid

Mysticmermaid, do you have placements in your water houses (4, 8, and 12)? Do you have any conjunctions or aspects involving Neptune, particularly moon-Neptune? Those kinds of things create some water-like sensitivity.

I'm in a similar situation: only one water planet, and it's Saturn in Cancer. My chart is very water deficient. But I have a grand trine in the water houses/fire signs, involving my sun and moon, and a Neptune/moon conjunction. I am indeed quite emotional, and certainly capable of compassion.

But here's the crucial difference between someone like you or me and people with strong water charts: water sign emphasis creates empathy, in the sense of having your interpersonal boundaries blurred and being easily swayed by the emotions of others, to the point that action becomes difficult or impossible. People with little or no water in their charts are not so easily swayed by others' emotions. We might feel compassion, but we can still maintain some distance, even when faced with someone completely melting down. That actually can make it easier to act with compassion: we're not too wrapped up in the other person's emotions to think of what we can do to help.

This is super interesting, I never thought about it that way. The way I've been seeing water deficient people described is almost sociopathic, but this does make a lot of sense. It's not a lack of emotion, compassion or empathy, it's maybe more that emotions don't naturally overwhelm or cloud many of us easily. even though for me they can, but mostly I definitely do agree

Last edited:

mysticmermaid

Do you want to post your chart?

Sorry, probably should have done that from the beginning. Here it is, interested to hear any opinions.

Attachments

• natalchart.png
    natalchart.png
    124.7 KB · Views: 41

katydid

You have a really strong 12th house, with both the Sun and Moon and Mercury and Venus hanging out there.

That could bring a lot of the attributes of the element of water to the forefront. Those 4, being placed in the 12th, bring compassionate energy, extreme sensitivity, and an emotionally expansive temperament to the native. :innocent:

Osamenor

Staff member
This is super interesting, I never thought about it that way. The way I've been seeing water deficient people described is almost sociopathic, but this does make a lot of sense. It's not a lack of emotion, compassion or empathy, it's maybe more that emotions don't naturally overwhelm or cloud many of us easily. even though for me they can, but mostly I definitely do agree

Are the emotions that overwhelm you your own, or other people's?

It doesn't take a watery chart to strongly feel your own emotions. What water in the chart provides is a heightened sensitivity to the emotions of others, which means taking them on as if they were your own. Those of us who lack water don't do that as easily as those who have plenty of water (though not as easily doesn't mean not at all). That says nothing about how you feel your own emotions.

Osamenor

Staff member
This is interesting. The only fire placements I have are my NN, BML, and my Chiron, the rest being primarily Water and Earth, but I relate so heavily to the fire element. Do you think house placements have an effect on elemental influence? Both my 1st and 5th houses are very active and it'd be interesting to see if the OP's water houses are active too

I think house placements have some influence, but not as strongly as sign placement would. If you have earth signs highlighted in fire houses, the fire house things in your life--self identity, expansion, creativity--happen in an earth element way. If it's water signs in the fire houses, then they happen in a water element way. The way you experience things is still earth/water.

Placement of the north node indicates what you want more of. If your north node is in a fire sign, particularly if the rest of your chart is fire deficient, acquiring fire is something you're driven to do. I have a similar setup: north node in Scorpio, but water deficient chart (although my water houses are highlighted).

miquar

Hi. I think that the 12th house emphasis is part of why you feel so watery, and also - if the birth time used is accurate - you have an exact square between Neptune and the ascendant-ruler. (Whether you have Taurus or Gemini rising, the ascendant-ruler would still be in the 12th house.)

Chiron forms a t-square with Mercury and Neptune - a combination that can understand others very empathically.

Whether you divide the lunation cycle into 8 or 12 stages, you were born in the final stage. In the twelve-fold division, the last stage parallels Pisces and the 12th house; and in the eight-fold division this is also the most open and sensitive stage.

Pluto is angular.

You could also look at what the watery planets (and especially Neptune) are doing in some higher harmonic charts.

Best wishes

Miquar