After Reading This Kid's Story, You'll Think Twice About Posting On Facebook

JUPITERASC

'Locked up without bail for weeks facing terrorism charges and 20 years in prison all for something he posted on Facebook

1st May Cam was skipping school, messing around online. He posted lyrics that included vague reference to the Boston Marathon Bombing and called the Whitehouse a "federal house of horror." Shortly after he was arrested and charged with Communicating a Terrorist Threat - a felony that carries 20 years in prison'...

'The post contained no specific threat of violence against any person or group of people, and in the context of the rest of the lyrics and Cams' rap persona, it was clearly nothing more than a metaphor. A search of Cam's house found NO evidence that he was planning any violence, but a judge still ordered him held without bail for the next 3 months, pending trial.' source: http://cms.fightforthefuture.org/teenager/

ashriia

that's why i don't use facebook, or any of these new hand over all personal information sites in the guise of being close to friends and family.
or even iphones, with their GPS trackers. youtube accounts wanting your real name now, and gmail wanting your telephone number for "your security".

pfft.

i mean, employers now use facebook for background checks. sounds super professional!

I'd rather pee in a cup, and get a criminal background check - at least i can see the relevance in that - over having my employer know all of my likes, dislikes, and friends. what is the point in that?

everything crosses the line of privacy these days. sad thing is that children being raised in this environment think all of this is normal.

I am actually not a conspiracy nut, but i don't like the direction technology in regards to privacy has moved.

astrology02

Wow...crazy how your life can completely change in a matter of a couple seconds. If the government gave every teenager the benefit of the doubt and let them return home, they could be risking the personal safety of the americans. It's sad what this world has come to...unfortunately in this day in age we don't have freedom of speech. But I have to agree, the US needs to do what they can to protect themselves. I did not sign the petition to release him back to his parents.

But America has it all wrong...all they focus on is terrorism, that does not create peace, it only brings more of what they don't want. One day the whole internet will probably be shut down due to security threats.