Mars and Saturn, square vs. semi-square

hermetic

I have a question, I have trouble finding a desription in the semi-square aspect between Mars and Saturn, I only have read about square and it sounds like a really difficult thing to have in a chart.
I would like opinions and experiences on this, would semi-square be as equally difficult or less?(or more perhaps:confused: )
how much influence could a semi-square aspect have? considering this is in a chart that has no oppositions and only 2 squares, very little hard aspects, I suppose it could be felt more than if one has many oppositions, but I am not sure.

here's the Mars Saturn square explanations I found

With Mars square Saturn, you alternate between periods of aggression and periods of recession and apathy. You are constantly at war with yourself because you cannot resolve this problem, which is not an easy one, as your experience has shown. Even when you gather the will to assert yourself, you are apprehensive that your timing may be off. Likewise, when inertia prevails, you realize you should have taken advantage of an opportunity earlier. Only time will improve your capacity to correctly judge when you should take action.

You will have to be very careful not to become embittered by your occasional setbacks. If you can learn from them, you are ahead because of the experience. Potentially you can accomplish much, once you know your limits. You can excel in occupations requiring endurance and follow-through, as in the fields of military service, land development, sports, and physical therapy. In whatever profession you follow, you must be willing to start at the bottom and work your way to the top. There is no easy way to gain a position of authority - you must earn it. Any shortcuts to the top are at best hazardous, because your position will be insecure.

Your greatest lessons in life will probably be learned through your relationships with others. You don't always kow just how much you can assert yourself in your associations. You especially need to develop your opinion of yourself by learning to use your talents so skillfully that you never need to feel threatened by anyone else. You must develop self-confidence about meeting challenge and competitors. When you say 'No!' you must mean it, and when you say 'Yes!' it should be with firm conviction based on reason. You must especially avoid vacillation and indecision, because they raise doubts about your credibility.

Your romantic relationships are ensnarled with inconsistencies of temperament and emotional intent. You suffer deeply if your advances are rejected by someone. It is possible for you to become vindictive and even use physical violence against people you don't really want to hurt. You tend to hurt the one you love without realizing it.

Caution in all physical activities is advised, because this planetary combination inclines to accidents and broken bones. Be particularly careful around machinery, and when you are unsure whether you can do something that requires considerable physical strength, don't.
- from astrologyweekly.com

and also

Mars square or opposition Saturn
You are a perfectionist. You can pick at yourself and others unmercifully, trying to get circumstances in your life to match some unspecified standard. Your energy becomes freer to work in an unencumbered way when you recognize that you aren't really looking to match an objective standard at all. What you want is to find some emotionally and psychologically defendable ground to stand on. The real trick in life for you is to keep moving. This is not easy since you should really only move ahead on a project after forethought or planning
- from cafeastrology.com
[edited quote over 100 words against forum rules - Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

Claire19

Semi squares are not valid really and only if they are exact would they have any influence at all perhaps. I dont use them unless they are strong i.e. planet in natural house or sign. 45 degrees only.. The Sun in Aries with semi square to Mars may have some little effect but I doubt it. Dont sweat the small stuff!!

Last edited:

aquarius7000

Hi there,

Once again, since the post I just did, did a disappearing act on me.:eek:

Like Claire, I too consider minor aspects like semi-squares only if the orbs are rather tight (max 2°-3°). Re Mars and Saturn, I have a less-than-a-degree exact opposition, and yes, there is a tendency to, at times, over react or, on the other hand, too much self control- which can come across as apathy. With a retro Sat and a Cap Mars (so ruled by Sat), I usually simmer on the inside more, am usually quite tough on my own self, and can work myself, over-ambitiously, to the point of full fatigue (esp at work, as Sat rules my 6th house of daily work), not knowing when to stop. I do come very close to the definition of a real workaholic, esp as I also have a Cap Moon (conj Cap Mars).

:)aquarius7000

@Hermetic, can you please take a note of the following:
forum rules said:
Copyright

In order to respect copyright laws, members are asked not to paste in their posts texts copied from other websites or other publications that are over 100 words long. In all cases of quoting, the source of the respective excerpts is to be properly mentioned. Also, if the text is publicly available online, a link to the source should be placed.

byjove

Account Closed
Any more views on the semisquare?

My chart has a few of these 'minor' aspects and I'm taking another look. I have Mars semisquare Sun, with the Sun in Aries and an orb of about 2 degrees which is valid to most I think. Also, I keep reading that the semisquare is similar to the square but less forceful, obvious or potent.

Anyone fishing on this? I'm keen to learn more about the semisquare.

iAmMattN

Any more views on the semisquare?

My chart has a few of these 'minor' aspects and I'm taking another look. I have Mars semisquare Sun, with the Sun in Aries and an orb of about 2 degrees which is valid to most I think. Also, I keep reading that the semisquare is similar to the square but less forceful, obvious or potent.

Anyone fishing on this? I'm keen to learn more about the semisquare.

Semi-square's are aspects to consider for sure. Think of it like this.. It's a potential for creating a full blown square or opposition in the next life.. if one doesn't resolve the tendency to maladaptively integrate the two planets/signs/houses. With Mars semi-square Saturn, one might need to resolve the tendency to have poor timing and to give up too soon out of frustration or a belief that it won't work out or too many obstacles will be in the way. Balancing desires and responsibility might be needed. Cultivate patience, consistency, good timing, and balanced focus of energy bt desires and responsibility. Don't try to move too fast - sustained, balanced effort is the goal.

Moonrocket

From what I understand about the semi squares in charts they point to a shadow self. You have to choose between the power role of who you are aka major aspects showing how the planets communicate
or the shadow self/ semi squares. The major and minor aspects don’t manifest in the person together at the same time. Often I’ve found that people who don’t relate to a chart reading most often are still living out the semi squares in their chart. I can very much relate to this.

Humanitarian

From what I understand about the semi squares in charts they point to a shadow self. You have to choose between the power role of who you are aka major aspects showing how the planets communicate
or the shadow self/ semi squares. The major and minor aspects don’t manifest in the person together at the same time. Often I’ve found that people who don’t relate to a chart reading most often are still living out the semi squares in their chart. I can very much relate to this.
I have 4 semisquares (all below 2 degrees orb):
Mars semisquare Saturn
Mercury semisquare Neptune
Mercury semisquare Chiron
Mercury semisquare Jupiter
My shadow self loves lying, acting recklessly, exaggerating and especially loves being the victim (victim complex)