Can astrology describe the soul or just the ego?

HoldOrFold

I've been wondering lately, is astrology just a description of the ego construct or can it describe someone's soul as well?

I've read over 100 near death experiences and universally people either get purged of certain characteristics or they just melt away on the other side, leaving them with their true personality, their soul.

If you do any form of meditation, you'll know that when you sit and observe your thoughts you can see various ego personalities which chatter away and then dissolve when you cease identifying with them. These ego personalities can pretty much be summed up by astrological placements / aspects. Eventually you reach a state of pure consciousness. Yet this state is unique to different people.

Eckhart Tolle has said that various masters have different core expressions of consciousness. Some are very gentle like his and others are intense and commanding.

I wonder if this state is simply the true unadulterated nature of someone's Sun sign (enlightenment = light = Sun)?

Any thoughts?

Zarathu

Account Closed
Exoteric Astrology using houses and aspects described the life of the personality while in incarnation.

Esoteric Astrology which doesn't use aspects and houses, can describe the life of the soul, but only is understandable for those who have taken at least the first solar initation, and above.

Last edited:

miquar

Hi HoldOrFold. I think this is a very important question. My sense is that the birth chart is always relevant throughout the incarnation, even if the native awakens fully to their true nature. This being the case, we could expect to find the differences observed by Tolle reflected in the charts of these sages. For the rest of us, we express the patterns shown in our chart with varying degrees of compulsion.

I would be wary of giving too much significance to the Sun sign. The sense of centrality associated with the astrological Sun is something that falls away as we awaken. Though of course as we drop the notion of 'my life' and embrace 'life', we become a purer channel for the solar life-force.

Zarathu

Account Closed
Eckhart Tolle has said that various masters have different core expressions of consciousness. Some are very gentle like his and others are intense and commanding.

What does Tolle mean when he uses the over worked term Masters? Do you understand the basic concepts involved in the Initiations, Human and Solar? Does Tolle?

Shanti

A Master who is someone advanced on the spiritual path with a purpose to teach or being an example for others. Like a University professor who have done the work to get an degree is able to show someone to more knowledge and wisdom.

The astrology chart express the manner in which the teacher/master expresses herself or is living their karma. Even enlightened masters have to live through their prarabdha karma. Which is the karmic circumstances
meant to be experienced in this incarnation.

This information is obviously only relevant if one have the belief that there is Soul principle which develops. It depends on the vantage Point of the wiewer. Many wiews are possible about same situation.

One of the best books imo about various masters their charts and transits and progressions for their biographic development is Greg Bogart's book about this subject where he is very knowledgeabel both as a psychotherpist and longtime spirtual practioner.

http://www.dawnmountain.com/pub_astspirawake/

(Looking at this link now I see that the book is substantially updated with many new charts that is not there in my old book.)

Best wishes
stefan

Zarathu

Account Closed
A Master who is someone advanced on the spiritual path with a purpose to teach or being an example for others. Like a University professor who have done the work to get an degree is able to show someone to more knowledge and wisdom.

The astrology chart express the manner in which the teacher/master expresses herself or is living their karma. Even enlightened masters have to live through their prarabdha karma. Which is the karmic circumstances
meant to be experienced in this incarnation.

This information is obviously only relevant if one have the belief that there is Soul principle which develops. It depends on the vantage Point of the wiewer. Many wiews are possible about same situation.

One of the best books imo about various masters their charts and transits and progressions for their biographic development is Greg Bogart's book about this subject where he is very knowledgeabel both as a psychotherpist and longtime spirtual practioner.

http://www.dawnmountain.com/pub_astspirawake/

(Looking at this link now I see that the book is substantially updated with many new charts that is not there in my old book.)

Best wishes
stefan

Trans-Himalayan Wisdom Teaching is a little bit more specific than that. I wasn't asking because I didn't know. I was asking because I wanted to know if the OP knew. And, of course, if one is in regular communication with one's own Soul, then belief about the Soul Principle is a non sequitor.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

I've been wondering lately, is astrology just a description of the ego construct or can it describe someone's soul as well?

I've read over 100 near death experiences and universally people either get purged of certain characteristics or they just melt away on the other side, leaving them with their true personality, their soul.

If you do any form of meditation, you'll know that when you sit and observe your thoughts you can see various ego personalities which chatter away and then dissolve when you cease identifying with them. These ego personalities can pretty much be summed up by astrological placements / aspects. Eventually you reach a state of pure consciousness. Yet this state is unique to different people.

I wonder if this state is simply the true unadulterated nature of someone's Sun sign (enlightenment = light = Sun)?

Any thoughts?

Opinions vary on this, as is usual in the astrological community :smile:

miquar

What does Tolle mean when he uses the over worked term Masters? Do you understand the basic concepts involved in the Initiations, Human and Solar? Does Tolle?

There are innumerable ways to label supposed land-marks along the so-called 'spiritual path'. These labels you use are not absolute truths, but simply one set of labels that we can use to get our bearings.

Zarathu

Account Closed
There are innumerable ways to label supposed land-marks along the so-called 'spiritual path'. These labels you use are not absolute truths, but simply one set of labels that we can use to get our bearings.

I repeat my question. I'm not asking because I don't have an opinion. I'm asking because I want to know what the OP believes. And its not "so-called", its reality....FOR ME.

I wish everyone the best as they struggle for certainty.

HoldOrFold

I believe Tolle means people who have achieved enlightenment from various traditions. I think I recall he gave an example of someone, possibly a Qi-Gong master, but I don't quite remember.

Not sure about the Human and Solar initiations.

Zarathu

Account Closed
I believe Tolle means people who have achieved enlightenment from various traditions. I think I recall he gave an example of someone, possibly a Qi-Gong master, but I don't quite remember.

Not sure about the Human and Solar initiations.

Thank you. You answered my question. BTW, enlightenment is a preliminary step to becoming a Master.

Last edited:

rahu

Banned
Isabel hickey, the late astrologess,
wrote that mercury represents your soul, the moon represents your spirit and the sun represents your body.

rahu

Kannon

"The astrological conditions have more to do with the spiritual than the physical being."
-- Edgar Cayce, Reading 33-1

Edgar Cayce Readings © 1971, 1993-2007 by the Edgar Cayce Foundation
All Rights Reserved

Zarathu

Account Closed
"The astrological conditions have more to do with the spiritual than the physical being."
-- Edgar Cayce, Reading 33-1

Edgar Cayce Readings © 1971, 1993-2007 by the Edgar Cayce Foundation
All Rights Reserved

Kannon,

What do YOU think that he meant by that statement, specifically?

Zarathu

miquar

Everything is 'so called', and the ego-derived concept which we call the 'spiritual path' is no exception. If all is one, how can there be a path from A to B?

One consciousness. Right here, right now.

Kannon

Kannon,

What do YOU think that he meant by that statement, specifically?

Zarathu

The querent (#33, an illiterate 24-year-old male) asked Cayce, "Is there any special time when the operation would be best for the body, according to any astrological conditions?"

Cayce answered, "Best time would be when the system was in preparation. The astrological conditions have more to do with the spiritual than the physical being."

Cayce emphasized astrology as a self-understanding tool to find a balance of soul's expression and development. He discouraged over-focus on it as if the planets 'rule' us. In this way, he was encouraging the young man to apply his intention for better health by preparing his body properly for surgery that might be needed -- that this was more important than the exact timing.

This is not a direct answer to HoldOrFold's original question, but it seemed relevant.

To answer more directly the question...
"I've been wondering lately, is astrology just a description of the ego construct or can it describe someone's soul as well?"

No, astrology is not just a description of the ego construct. The information in one's birth chart is soul-related information. The body/ego follows suit generally in terms of familiar or applicable style.

Masters have transcended astrology. Don't try to understand them with it.

miquar

In a Master, a cessation of personal will has occurred, but this means that her or his existence is more directly attuned to the cycles and rhythms of what we call 'reality'. Since she or he is not driven by these cycles and rhythms as a self, these cycles and rhythms can express more cleanly, though generally more subtly. Masters have not transcended life, but rather their sense of being a separate fragment of life.

thelivingsky

Hello Miquar,
This is very interesting question which of course needs to be prefaced with what one means by "ego" and "soul." I tend to think that the ego is one expression of the soul, which can be transcended. But the signature character of the soul is always apparent.

There is a book you may want to read if you haven't already entitled Astrology of Spiritual Awakening - the author's last name is Gregory C. Bogart (Dawn Mountain Press) -that deals with aspects of this question.

miquar

Hi. Thanks thelivingsky. I'll keep it in mind. I don't usually ponder this question myself, but the person who started the thread may be especially interested in that book. I think of astrology as being a tool conceived by the ego for the ego, so I don't try to understand spirituality through the lens of astrology.

thelivingsky

Thank you for that perspective.
It is interesting that Jeffrey Wolf Green, who is a major author in the school of evolutionary astrology which deals with the evolution of the soul through reincarnation, states that the soul has an ego too. I heard this in his lectures on YouTube. He is very deep thinker and very learned in all of the spiritual traditions. I just recently discovered this school of astrology although it has been quite developed since the 1970's.

B