Should I Change Majors?

Arian Maverick

Before you think of this thread as just another excuse for a young Arian to make an impulsive decision, please hear me out.

I'm only a few weeks into my first semester of college, and I've been having a nagging feeling lately that I'm not in the major best suited for my talents and interests, that I have been ignoring my inner guidance in favor of taking the major I have been encouraged by my parents and my academic counselor to take, the one which supposedly transfers the best to most 4-year schools.

Yet it was not until an hour or so ago that I realized that I may have been a victim of unintentional stereotyping, for when I brought up my possible interest in working in the medical field in a conversation with my academic counselor, she steered me away from this direction although my math skills on the college placement test were excellent.

I did quite well in both math and science in high school, but for reasons unknown, I have been doubting that I "have what it takes" to major in less creative and more analytical subject matter, perhaps because I don't exactly fit the mold of the typical student in this type of major.

My Aries stellium wants me to immediately change majors in order to prove to myself and the rest of the world that I am not to be underestimated, but my Capricorn stellium is urging me to take a more cautious and therefore safer root, most likely staying on my current path and forever wondering what could have been if I stopped putting others' opinions above my own and simply dared to take that chance.

I'm not sure if this is the right chart, for I did not note the exact time I first had this thought today because it came in a rush during a conversation, and I became so excited and passionate that I completely loss track of time. Indeed, at the moment, I didn't even think to create a chart; it wasn't until perhaps fifteen minutes later did I have this thought.

So before I post a chart, which moment should I use--the approximate time I first had this idea, or the time I thought to create a chart?

Also, do you think this is even a horary chart, or more of an event chart?

Arian Maverick

Arian Maverick

Actually, I wasn't emotionally triggered by the academic counselor at the time; it was only today when I was having a discussion with someone else about my college experience thus far and what I may want to do with my life did I recall the incident and begin to feel more passionate about changing majors.

The other bump that you may be running into with people are that they are more tied into traditional medicine and don't really think to picture you doing something naturopathic, etc because it doesn't enter into their lexicon. Am I anywhere close, here?

Yes, this is pretty close indeed, and is probably the main reason why I didn't initially resist everyone and jump right into a nursing major. I'm mainly interested in doing my part to change the healthcare profession, and I would not desire working in a hospital. Yet where would one with a nursing degree work but in a hospital? I suppose it's back to the drawing board to come up with other ideas...

Arian Maverick

Arian Maverick

Thanks, Libra! :)

I should probably pick a chart before this thread becomes off-topic...

Now, which one sounds more descriptive: Uranus tightly conjunct the Ascendant, or a Pluto-Mars opposition on the Midheaven/Nadir axis?

I'm leaning towards the latter, because at least I know the time is accurate; the 6 PM one was just an estimate, but then again, it is closer to the exact moment when I first had this thought today.

Arian Maverick

Arian Maverick

Uranus conjunct Ascendant it is then ;)

With a Pisces Ascendant, I would be signified by ninth house Jupiter in Sagittarius--pretty fitting considering that the ninth house is the house of "higher education," and this is where my attention was primarily focussed at the time. Because I do not have an exact time and the third/ninth house cusps are on the cusp between two signs (Taurus/Scorpio and Gemini/Sagittarius), I am hesitant to declare that my significator is also the significator of the quesited--my major. I am assuming this would also be a ninth house subject, but I will admit that there is also a focus upon future career possibilities, so perhaps the tenth house and/or the sixth house would be involved as well.

I find the separating Mars-Pluto opposition conjunct the Nadir/Midheaven axis one of the most interesting features of this chart, especially since Mars is my chart ruler and occupies a critical degree here. I understand that Pluto is not traditionally used in horary astrology--and neither is Uranus, for that matter--but being the maverick that I am, I'm going to use them anyway! :D

Here is the first sentence of the description of the Mars opposition Pluto aspect from the main site, which I think can be applied to horary as well:

Astrology aspects - Mars opposition Pluto

The opposition aspect tends to reflect an inner conflict in you, that of a clash between your personal desires and a possible contributing positive role in society, as represented by the opposiion between the personal Mars desires and the more socially orientated Pluto.

Interestingly, Mars can also be considered a possible co-ruler of my first house, since the sign of Aries is intercepted within it; it is also the ruler of the eighth house and the possible ruler of the ninth house as well, since I am using an estimated time.

I am going to eat dinner now, but I will be back later :)

Arian Maverick