How does your chart ruler play out in your life?

Gemini888

Do you think your chart ruler shape much/most of your life? Is the effect more significant than other placements (NN, MC, most elevated planets...)

I'd like to listen to your story about your chart ruler, what its sign and house are and how they intergrate into your life.

BlackLioness87

Do you think your chart ruler shape much/most of your life? Is the effect more significant than other placements (NN, MC, most elevated planets...)

I'd like to listen to your story about your chart ruler, what its sign and house are and how they intergrate into your life.

It's difficult to say, I think the dominant planets on your chart are the ones that shape your life. Also the planets that are in any of the four angles of the chart carry important weight.

I'm Virgo ASC, I have Mercury in Cancer 11H. Most of my closest friends ever, practice occultism or are acquaintanced with it, others have strong ESP. Well, I don't have many friends but I met these in "normal" places like the university or my workplace. Though I have joined some groups of people with my interests (animal rights activism, vegan eating, Gnosticism, Bhagavad Gita study and Teosophism) I've never lasted more than a month because I found most members of such groups were too extremists. :p

Starsareround

Hello...

My chart ruler, Mercury Rx, is also final depositor of my chart and conjunct asc in Virgo. It's Sextile Mars/Jup in Cancer (H10/11) and Sextile Uranus in Scorpio (H3), square Neptune in Sag (H4). I think I'm a strong presence in a room, I always got a lot of attention (but when I was younger I wasn't comfortable with it-VIRGO lol). I am really persuasive and enthusiastic, and pretty sympathetic. I have been told, however that I can be impatient, and someone once told me (gulp) that I come across as irritated when people around me don't understand things quickly. That stayed with me and made me feel quite bad. I was definitely a know-it-all in school and was never shy about speaking up. Wow, thinking about it in this way really makes me see the downside of Mercury in Virgo lol. But I never really cared how I came across, just interested in ideas and expressing myself. I love to banter and fantasize, I am very good at sales and anything involving speaking and dealing with people (as I'm getting older I've learned to listen). I love intellectually stimulating friendships, and I'm still good friends with one of my exes simply because our minds are simpatico. I'm good at understanding people from an intuitive and a psychological level. I never take anyone at face value and tend to study people's behavior covertly eschewing what they say in favor of what they do to give me clues to who they are. I'm always fascinated by people. I don't find anyone boring.

Domna

I have a Libra Ascendant, so my chart ruler is Venus. My Venus is in Taurus in the 8th house. It is unaspected, without any major aspects, but with a multitude of minor aspects and midpoint connections.

It definitely makes a splash! I guess being unaspected it overcompensates, and then through all those minor aspects it inserts itself insidiously everywhere... ;)

I'm an extremely sensual person. Also very decadent, pleasure-seeking and quality conscious. I cook and I love good food. And I want my food decadent, I don't ever think about health aspects when it comes to food. I'm obsessed with perfume and have a large collection of the stuff, mostly vintage, luxury, artisan or natural stuff that is far from mainstream. I'm also very tactile, I touch everything and I need it to feel nice. I wear my vintage fur lined coat with supreme pleasure, preferably with just a slip of a dress underneath, so that I can feel the fur against my skin (and I don't care if anyone disapproves). The value I place on music and art can't even be described!

I'm also an aesthete in everything I do. Life without being surrounded by beautyis nothing but misery. Some people get depressed by the dark of winter... while I get depressed if it rains in winter, because then everything turns ugly. I do tend to have a twisted view of what is beautiful sometimes though. I often find beauty in things that are dark, haunting, macabre or decaying. The 8th house is all over my aesthetic really. I'm drawn to gothic and other dark alternative styles, elegant but macabre jewelry, deep and dark perfume... I also have a life-long, rather spiritual, obsession with the cycle of life, death and rebirth; the juxtaposition of fecundity and decay; liminal states and rites of passage... All very 8th house themes.

And, interestingly enough, considering the association of 8th house and inheritance... at the death of my great uncle, when I was two years old, I enherited everything he owned.

So, yeah... my life is certainly imbued with a lot of Venus, Taurus and 8th house themes! What I don't have though is a love life. I am both asexual and aromantic. I have never felt the slightest hint of sexual or romantic attraction in my whole life. So that's kind of ironic considering my Venus is otherwise very loud and in a house that is often associated with sex.

Last edited:

chiamaria

Oh man, how doesn't it play out in my life? Ruled by Mercury, I can really overanalyse and be too in my head. I hate it. Sometimes I may get paralysis of analysis and it irritates me.

My dream is to just be in the moment and not overthink what to do and when/where/how to do it.

However, luckily my Mercury is in 11th house, stationary direct and very well aspected, including making a trine to my Jupiter. So I guess it has some redeeming qualities.

Gemini888

Oh man, how doesn't it play out in my life? Ruled by Mercury, I can really overanalyse and be too in my head. I hate it. Sometimes I may get paralysis of analysis and it irritates me.

My dream is to just be in the moment and not overthink what to do and when/where/how to do it.

However, luckily my Mercury is in 11th house, stationary direct and very well aspected, including making a trine to my Jupiter. So I guess it has some redeeming qualities.
Are you a Gemini or Virgo Asc? What is the sign and house of your Mercury? And is there any bad aspect to it?

chiamaria

Are you a Gemini or Virgo Asc? What is the sign and house of your Mercury? And is there any bad aspect to it?

I'm virgo ascendant. My mercury is in cancer in the 11th house. It forms a sextile with Venus, a loose trine with Saturn and a trine with Jupiter. The only difficult aspect it has is a square with my nodes, which apparently means a skipped step in my past lives, but tbh I don't get why it would mean this. I am well liked by people I will say, but that could be a combination of things, such as Venus (sextiling chart ruler) conjunct my ascendant.

Gemini888

I'm virgo ascendant. My mercury is in cancer in the 11th house. It forms a sextile with Venus, a loose trine with Saturn and a trine with Jupiter. The only difficult aspect it has is a square with my nodes, which apparently means a skipped step in my past lives, but tbh I don't get why it would mean this. I am well liked by people I will say, but that could be a combination of things, such as Venus (sextiling chart ruler) conjunct my ascendant.
Yeah right. Cancer is moody and Virgo is too self-critical.

I think you should learn to relax a little. Just remind yourself that things often aren't as serious as you think. You will get a lot of peace and productivity from a change of mindset.

chiamaria

Yeah right. Cancer is moody and Virgo is too self-critical.

I think you should learn to relax a little. Just remind yourself that things often aren't as serious as you think. You will get a lot of peace and productivity from a change of mindset.

LOLLLLL oh dear you are funny.

I'm merely giving my aspects and placements because you asked, not so you can project your preconceived limiting opinions on my chart. I feel sorry for all Cancerians who get labelled with "moody" and all Virgos who get "too self critical", like that's all they're about?
Thank you for the unsolicited advice though? I can totally see that you care.

Tandy

Banned
What is a chart ruler? In any chart - a debilitated planet, aspect in very bad submission to another planet in chart, can be chart ruler. Moon rules everything, that's what I think.

Natasha

searching the web and an introduction to astrology popped up they say that The most frequently used assignments of rulers today
Aries: Mars
Taurus: Venus
Gemini: Mercury
Cancer: Moon
Leo: Sun
Virgo: Mercury
Libra: Venus
Scorpio: Pluto (old ruler: Mars)
Sagittarius: Jupiter
Capricorn: Saturn
Aquarius: Uranus (old ruler: Saturn)
Pisces: Neptune (old ruler: Jupiter)
When I studied astrology seems like a long long time ago they used to say the old ruler was the most accessabile
For me as a Scorpio rising I can agree that Mars feels to me like my ruling sign
Whenever I have a Mars transit - sometimes even the Sun some event seems to take place which challenges me on some level
my feeling is that the transpersonal outers Uranus Neptune and Pluto are not that accessible unless we are having a serious outer planet transit eg Pluto square a luminary or personal planet

Osamenor

Staff member
searching the web and an introduction to astrology popped up they say that The most frequently used assignments of rulers today
Aries: Mars
Taurus: Venus
Gemini: Mercury
Cancer: Moon
Leo: Sun
Virgo: Mercury
Libra: Venus
Scorpio: Pluto (old ruler: Mars)
Sagittarius: Jupiter
Capricorn: Saturn
Aquarius: Uranus (old ruler: Saturn)
Pisces: Neptune (old ruler: Jupiter)
When I studied astrology seems like a long long time ago they used to say the old ruler was the most accessabile
For me as a Scorpio rising I can agree that Mars feels to me like my ruling sign
Whenever I have a Mars transit - sometimes even the Sun some event seems to take place which challenges me on some level
my feeling is that the transpersonal outers Uranus Neptune and Pluto are not that accessible unless we are having a serious outer planet transit eg Pluto square a luminary or personal planet
Traditional rulers are still used for Scorpio, Aquarius, and Pisces, even by most modern astrologers. Some consider them shared rulerships. Some use only the traditional rulers for signs and houses, but otherwise use the modern planets. There are also still traditional astrologers--we have a whole board for them, in fact--and they don't use the modern planets at all.

After working with this for some time, I've concluded that traditional rulers seem to have more say in how a house functions in daily life, but where modern rulers shine is in the karmic implications of the sign and house. Sometimes they both have a say over the same event, but they say different things.

Here's one example from my life: my third house cusp is in Pisces. One area of life indicated by the third house is siblings. I'm the oldest of three. All of us were born at three year intervals. That means that each new sibling came along during a Jupiter square or opposition year for the older sibling(s). I got a baby sister when I was 3 (first Jupiter square to its natal position) and baby brother when I was 6 (first Jupiter opposition) and my sister was 3 (Jupiter square). Both of them have Jupiter placed in the third house, so that Jupiter third house signature is on all of our charts.

But I'm the only one of us with a Neptune-moon conjunction, and in my case, it has a six degree orb. The exact Neptune conjunction with my moon, by transit, happened right when my sister was born. When my brother was born, Neptune was no longer transiting my moon, but I had Neptune conjunct my natal moon by solar arc progression (solar arc progression moves everything one degree per year--so when I was six years old, that was six degrees). Both my siblings were born with Neptune on my moon, one way or another.

Neptune transits to the moon can indicate loss of the mother. My mother was still there, but when a new sibling is born, the older sibling always loses the mother, in a way.

Regarding chart rulers, mine is Saturn (Capricorn rising), and people have told me that I would feel Saturn transits especially strongly. If I look back, I see the turning points in my life happening with a hard angle Saturn transit somewhere--but I have such a spread out chart that something's getting a hard angle transit most of the time. Most of those turning points have involved people coming into my life. I have natal Saturn in the seventh house.

Osamenor

Staff member
Ms Osa I think this is on topic when talking about your natal. As I stated before, Sagittarius ASC and Jupiter is your chart ruler. I'm little bit unsure whether it is still in Aries or Pisces. What I know is constellation Pisces is slightly larger then others so there is probability Jupiter in it's own domicile. So the Jupiter is preferably in IV angular house and your family seems like the main theme when I read some of your thread.

Opinion

R

No, I have Capricorn rising, not Sagittarius.

watcherofthesouth

My ruler is Venus and it is in my 4th. I always kick myself when I need clothes (expensive ones only) after I spent all my money on interior decor. The planets conjunct my Asc, Uranus and Moon, also influence. I have an innate ability to predict good real estate investments (4th) and I work from home (online business). With Uranus so close to the Asc, I look foreign and have a foreign name (but not).

greybeard

My mother had Uranus close to the Asc and would have looked foreign and had a foreign-sounding name had she lived in Africa or China. But she was just an ordinary run-of-the-mill Kentuck. Ditto John Denver.

yuriv

I experience life like an observer. Chart ruler is Jupiter retro in 12H. My final dispositor is Pluto in 11/12H. It's not intense per se. It's a running undercurrent.

JUPITERASC

The planet that rules the rising sign is the chart ruler.
Almutem Figuris is an old doctrine
where one planet according to certain calculations applied
receives the honors to be the Ruler or Lord of the Chart
The word Almutes is an Arabian word which means 'Winner' :smile:
Because
the planet is the Winner of all the 'life giving' places.
Or the places which are most sensible and important in the natal figure.
https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49000

Lykanized

Tropical chart ruler: Mercury
Mercury sextile Mars(1), opposite Uranus and Neptune(5), trine Pluto(3). All retrograde except Mars
I'm analytical and cerebral, but in an offkilter way. I don't fare well in speaking with others and tend to be very insecure with it, however I'm passionate about conversation, particularly conversation which pierces the depths, or the heavens or is offkilter in itself, conversation revolving around esoteric topics or topics most would find insane. Inane conversation is looked down on. I'm very much caught up in my mind and in the cosmos most of the time, in some otherworldly state of being rather than in the moment. However, when I am, I'm actually incredibly witty and funny
They say Mercury rules the hands, I'm good with my hands. I'm a fast learner too, but I'm not one to come off like an academic. More of the quirky intellectual, ever curious, thoughts affected by the retrogrades and Uranus and Neptune so they're super fast and go incredibly deep, but it's hard to communicate with most people as my mind just functions differently

Last edited:

Lykanized

Tropical chart ruler: Mercury
Mercury sextile Mars(1), opposite Uranus and Neptune(5), trine Pluto(3). All retrograde except Mars
I'm analytical and cerebral, but in an offkilter way. I don't fare well in speaking with others and tend to be very insecure with it, however I'm passionate about conversation, particularly conversation which pierces the depths, or the heavens or is offkilter in itself, conversation revolving around esoteric topics or topics most would find insane. Inane conversation is looked down on. I'm very much caught up in my mind and in the cosmos most of the time, in some otherworldly state of being rather than in the moment. However, when I am, I'm actually incredibly witty and funny
They say Mercury rules the hands, I'm good with my hands. I'm a fast learner too, but I'm not one to come off like an academic. More of the quirky intellectual, ever curious, thoughts affected by the retrogrades and Uranus and Neptune so they're super fast and go incredibly deep, but it's hard to communicate with most people as my mind just functions differently
I don't know if it overrides those other placements you mentioned. My SN is in Gemini and my most elevated planet is also in Gemini, so again, there's the Mercury, but I feel like that's when I go into witty, clever mode. I'm also very very sarcastic, which I find to be more of a Virgo trait than Gemini, but it could be Mercury in general