What type of learner are you and what do you give credit to in your chart?

or1000

What type of learner are you and what do you give credit to in your chart?

I keep bringing this question up because I am having such difficulty with my learning style right now. I am studying and I have adhd as well as bipolar. It’s becoming a problem. I am studying law and business. Wanting to go into property/finance.

Online I have come across types of styles. I would identify with concrete and abstraction (I have to materialise the abstraction to memorise, so therefore, visual also). I'm a taurus 9th house, so I presume thats what the sensory type learning would come from.

It is just very scatty, and I am struggling to even want to learn at the moment because of this distorted cognitive function.

Last edited:

yuriv

I consider the 9H for this, I have Virgo there,that makes me a pratical learner, a discernering one at that. These days i tend to concentrate on subjects that i know will be of benefits to me, nothing more, nothing less. Of course that makes me albeit compulsive in areas i find interesting then. I have Mars, Moon, Chiron here.. So those themes are heavy to my learning style right now.

I suppose the issue with learning styles might be less connected to your adhd, bi-polar. Though you have no choice to resolve or find a way around it one way or the other. The issue is university is what it is- study hard, get your grades up. You will just have to work around it and find out where your own learning style can benefit you. It's good you are looking for solutions and you will find one in due time.

greybeard

You say "I have my chart attached to a previous post."

I hope you don't expect me or anyone else to dig through 1000s of threads in search of your chart. No chart, no response.

Interest is a key ingredient in learning.

Last edited:

or1000

You say "I have my chart attached to a previous post."

I hope you don't expect me or anyone else to dig through 1000s of threads in search of your chart. No chart, no response.

Interest is a key ingredient in learning.

Haha. No, I posted within a day of this one so I presumed some would already have seen it and grow bored of another posting of it. Not said out of self righteousness.
Agree about key ingredient. I have a few of barriers, learning difficulties, a mental block with following through whether I enjoy or not. I recently looked into minor aspects which helped shed some light.

Last edited:

or1000

I consider the 9H for this, I have Virgo there,that makes me a pratical learner, a discernering one at that. These days i tend to concentrate on subjects that i know will be of benefits to me, nothing more, nothing less. Of course that makes me albeit compulsive in areas i find interesting then. I have Mars, Moon, Chiron here.. So those themes are heavy to my learning style right now.

I suppose the issue with learning styles might be less connected to your adhd, bi-polar. Though you have no choice to resolve or find a way around it one way or the other. The issue is university is what it is- study hard, get your grades up. You will just have to work around it and find out where your own learning style can benefit you. It's good you are looking for solutions and you will find one in due time.

"Concentrating on subjects that i know will be of benefits to me" is quite right. I can imagine what it is like to have moon and chiron there, along with mars to add that drive.

I have a Taurus 9th house and Venus there, so it means a lot which you will understand just from the posting of this thread. Appreciate your words, thank you, yuriv.

greybeard

Virgo rising?

In any case Mercury, Moon and Jupiter need to be examined.
4th, 8th, 9th & 11th all strongly involved (real estate law with finance).

Witchyone

It's difficult to understand the details of a discipline, process, etc., if I don't understand the big picture. Visuals definitely help with this. I'm best able to remember historical or topical facts if I'm taught a concept through a story, metaphor, or song. I can memorize something I hear only once if it's told with an effective story.

To memorize numbers, I need rote repetition, for example, drilling with flash cards. I have a horrible time with dates, because they are numbers usually taught via story instead of rote repetition. I can usually remember the approximate time in history something important happened, but I can rarely remember exact dates.

Despite the difficulties I've noted, I tested very well and made good grades in school. I was drafted by teachers to tutor the other students, etc. I think I hold myself to high standards and am reluctant to say I understand something unless I know it intimately. I'm aware of and somewhat critical of my Gemini tendency to flit from one subject to the next before I fully grasp the first.

I think Sun trine Uranus (expanded) and square Jupiter (limited) along with Mercury conjunct Saturn (challenged) and trine Jupiter (enhanced) are probably involved in the big picture thinking and the harsh standard-setting. Venus sextiles Mercury and Jupiter, which may play a role in my preference for visual aids and stories.

Starsareround

Great question! I am a strange learner for sure, I absolutely must have full engagement with and passion for my subject. My brain doesn’t really work unless I throw everything into the discovery process. The upside is that my learning goes deep and I am relentless in my pursuit of knowledge. I guess I have to attribute that to my mercury in Virgo being my chart’s final depositor and chart ruler, conjunct my ascendant. I throw my whole self into the process and basically eat breath and sleep what it is I’m learning. The not so great side is that it’s basically OCD and the absentmindedness that results.

Lin

You have Mercury in a grand cross pattern. So planets opposed to Merc and planets square Merc. HOwever, you DO have Pluto trine Merc among a couple of other good aspects for learning in your chart.

However: you are YOUNG....and obviously you have not been taught HOW to study optimally. In primary and high school the emphasis is on learning by reading something and then memorizing it long enough to get thru a test.

In math, one subject builds upon another. By the time you take advanced Maths it is implied that you have conquered all the basics.

In Science you are asked to both learn and think in a different way.

In language you are asked to learn your own language and probably at least one other language.

Most of what you learn is memorizing.

Creative learning and creative thinking asks much more of you. If you did not have good teachers in school and you resisted learning, it can become a bad habit.

As a person who is still learning how to learn, because of your age, you may find that the subjects and areas you are most interested in are those you find easier to learn and even fun. Things and subjects that bore you may have a problem "getting in" to your permanent memory.

Is it possible that you are over- scheduled? Are you trying to do too much at one time?
How about your social life? Does that take up a large block of your time?

Anyway, a big issue now would be the medication you take for your ADD and Bi-Polar disorders. If you are on the wrong meds, too many meds, etc, that can affect your learning & remembering.

I learned by rote. I had a pretty good memory in school. But I didn't go further with my education until I began learning Astrology. This opened a whole new world for me. I read and read and studied and studied and did decades of research...I needed to be alone and sober and with the phone "off the hook" for hours and hours. That was before cell phones and being able to turn off the phone.

Personally, I get distracted easily, unless the subject I am studying fascinates me and then I can forget everything else for hours to learn whatever it is.

Same thing if I am reading a book that is very engaging. I can lose myself in my study. That is whether it's a book of fiction or of study.

But I don't have learning disabilities. Sometimes the most intelligent people can't seem to get into the groove of learning new things fast. It's a skill....learning fast. And it's a talent you can be born with.

So what works for anyone else may not work for you at all. Make sure the subjects you are studying are REALLY the subjects you want to learn....that they will give you the payoff you want regarding your ultimate goals.

Also: having issues with authority figures (teachers, professors, etc) can block learning also.

LIN

Last edited:

Somna7H

Banned
I am learning(not fully learned) not to trust anyone. It's One Vs All World. There are few cruel planets near 6th house and too many hard aspetcs in natal chart too.

Tandy

Banned
The personal value to each of us of what we learn is important. 2nd house is what you value and hope to show of yourself. It is also your self worth - shown by how you carry on in your life. Mercury and Jupiter's little picture/big picture connection to your 2nd house by placement or aspect to house ruler, will probably be a good indicator.