Sakata yoga - Is it really that bad?

VenusS

Namaste, Greetings to all the astrologer community in this forum. I hope all of you are doing well in your life. :]
So, for the past couple of years, I've tried doing some research, mostly on the malefic yogas than the benefic. Since those malefic yogas were classified as "malefic" because it was interpretated as the bad karma to life, like 2000-3000 yrs ago.

The most common malefic yoga I have seen in number of charts is Sakata yoga. A backstory for anyone who doesn't know what it is, Sakata yoga forms when Jupiter/Moon are in 6th/8th/12th to each other in D1 chart specifically.(I've heard somewhere that this yoga also has effect in D9 chart, but I haven't seen it really) Sakata yoga, one of the most "malefic" yogas, it keeps the native in sorrows and miseries. The luck of the native is like waves of a river, always up and down and never constant. Native with this conjunction usually losses all of his wealth/fortune in one point of time, and then after some time, he also gains it back. So it's always changing and never constant.

Anyway, my point of the discussion was, isn't it a general fact of life? Like the definition of Sakata yoga..everyone experience it in their lives. Everyone has this period where they incur losses of all kinds and also, in extreme cases, losses all their money on some or other thing. After some months/years, they also gain it back. That's just how life works. Its always changing and never constant for anybody.(and im pretty sure everyone will agree on this) I've had number of people with this yoga and they all told me that they were going into some crisis or some financial mishaps in their lives. When I examined it, sakata yoga wasn't even the actual reason behind that, but rather the dasha and the transit which was malefic for them. I've also had some great, powerful people with this combination, having jupiter almost debilitated but with strong moons, and this yoga obviously.. and they had like, immense wealth and property. Yeah I know.. that you also have to look into other aspects but mainly this topic of discussion was to clear up some facts about this so called dreadful yogas. However, im pretty certain that those people who have this yoga, are guaranteed very stressful or mostly pessimistic. Their approach to life is not very positive and they tend to expect more than their abilities.

But it's just nonsensical to conclude that if a person has Sakata yoga in his chart, he's bound to suffer ups and downs in life, which is like the most obvious fact of life. Even in Geeta, Lord Krishna says to Arjuna that nothing in this universe is stable or constant. A person in this earth always has to face ups and downs in this life, if he's too materialistic. One period, the native will have all the wealth and another, he is bound to suffer losses and mishaps.

Lets discuss about this yoga, calling all the respected astrologers to throw some light on this topic.
Thank you. :]

Last edited:

Alamits

Perhaps sakata yoga, in its classic interpretation, needs a modern update, or, to be interpreted more broad. I haven't studied this yoga as closely as it sounds like you have but, if you think about it, perhaps in the broadest sense it is the native not feeling the grace/luck/fortune as much as the next person given the "same" circumstances. The 6th 8th and 12th are "dushtana" which, if I'm not mistaken, means difficult place, right? The native would likely pay more attention to their struggles than their successes and would be more pessimistic. However, psychologically speaking, humans are more drawn to this tendency by default. So, once again, we wind up at square one in some respects. Jupiter also represents wisdom. Perhaps in this position from the Moon the native doesn't have the grace/wisdom of ease in material pursuits and makes the mistake of bad investment/spending.
This looks like a complicated yoga because there a lot of ways to cancel it so one would have to think long and hard about why that might be. Do you know if this yoga applies relative to the ascendant? If not, is there an equivalent for this placement? It might be interesting to compare the two.
What you quote from the Gita gives support to what you were saying before about how the nature of life is ups and downs. Jupiter must just give the nature more optimism in the times of downs. Potentially, even the grace of investments or something to help mitigate losses that help keep you secure. There are a lot of yogas like this that are interesting in that their effects are general characteristics of life shared by all. I look forward to what the rest of you say.

VenusS

Heyy, I remember you! How's everything going? I hope everything's fine with you. :] my greetings.
yeah, so back to the discussion. As you said, there are actually, many ways to nullify this yoga. the most mainstream way(like many blogs/articles on the Internet) Is that, jupiter or moon is quadrant to the lagna, which would help a native to stabilise his life, you know just some bs about jupiter being "well placed" and such.

However, if things were that easy...we all would've been to that level as our rishis were, years and years ago. (maybe predicting drump's presidency perhaps, so as to warn the world 🌍).

Brilliant that you pointed it out about the relativity of 9th house and a person's outlook towards life. Which is infact absolutely correct, since jupiter represents how lucky would a native feel in his life. There are people who have millions of dollars, and still they are never satisfied. Keeps on buggin about how bad their lives are..(can also be helpful in some way, since it instigates a person to do efforts and hardwork)

Moreover about that "mainstream" way,(I call it mainstream since almost every astrologer use this) what if your lagna Lord IS moon or jupiter. Would they still behave malefic to you? As in, for a sagittarius ascendant, jupiter being in 8th house exalted, and moon in the third house. Don't you think jupiter here will help the native to expand his wisdom in the matters related to the 8th house. Moreover, if he see his aspects at 4th house and 12th house. Jupiter aspecting his own 4th house would actually be very beneficial to the native in relation to the luxuries, lands etc. The only downside would the placement of moon, which would in turn make him more pessimistic towards life. I think Sakata yoga in this generation, is about how you look at life. How lucky do you feel In life. I mean there are so many powerful, rich people who feel more trapped and stressful. As they say, there is a price for everything.

Anyway, do you have any sample charts that we all could see which has this yoga? Any feedbacks would be highly appreciated.
[btw, I didn't quite understand what you meant when you said, "relative to ascendant"? Like more powerful in certain ascendants?]

Alamits

The malefic and benefic natures of the planets have to do with the fixed natures and the changing natures due to what ascendant we are looking at. So, a benefic in a difficult house is still a benefic.

I looked through my own database and all of the cases I've found so far with this yoga have the cancelations. If I happen to find an example I'll definitely post it.