whats the Big deal about physical beauty in the astrolgical community

AppLeo

African media seems to be pretty similar to us in this way: Dencia is a very popular beauty icon, and is really only famous for having a big ol’ butt like Kim Kardashian. She travels out of Africa to Europe to have procedures done, so she definitely has the money.

Africa has cities and modern civilization too and don’t just live in mud huts, you know. :lol:

Who cares about Africa. I don't see africans becoming anorexic, getting fat, or feeling body shamed by reading the media. Africa has nothing to do with beauty in America. Forget 3rd world countries. When you're poor, you don't care how beautiful you look, you care about your next meal and survival.

wan

I don't understand what you're saying here. I'm so lost. How is the government controlling what we eat?? We have a choice everyday to decide. What do you mean by, "gearing up for fat-shaming?"

I think our government here (BC, Canada) is going to ban trans-fat in food soon. This is a manifestation of a nanny state. If you don't take care of your body, the state will take care of it for you.

Scary stuff.

AppLeo

I think our government here (BC, Canada) is going to ban trans-fat in food soon. This is a manifestation of a nanny state.

I heard that like 8 chemicals were banned in all of Europe, but the United States still continues to use them. Lul

Bunraku

American media is ubiquitous and it reaches even the most obscure corners of the world. Not saying that American media is to blame for all of the world’s body issues :lol:. Just felt like saying that it’s very influential, both good and bad.

AppLeo

American media is ubiquitous and it reaches even the most obscure corners of the world. Not saying that American media is to blame for all of the world’s body issues :lol:. Just felt like saying that it’s very influential, both good and bad.

What in the freaking world is ubiquitous. Like I've never seen that before.

ubiquitous |yo͞oˈbikwədəs|
adjective
present, appearing, or found everywhere: his ubiquitous influence was felt by all the family | cowboy hats are ubiquitous among the male singers.

Yes, I know this about the media. What's your point.

anjelik

To be honest, I don't think anyone's truly ugly; people just choose lifestyles that make them ugly.

If people actually ate healthy, exercised, cleaned themselves regularly, did some research on on what's trendy to wear, and groomed themselves, I can guarantee that the vast majority of people would all look really damnn good despite their genes or what the media has to say.

It's not that the nerdy girl is ugly, it's that she wears her hair in a stupid style and has zero sense for what clothes look nice. All she wears is sweats and a t-shirt.

It's not that the fat girl is ugly, it's that she eats a ton of unhealthy food and you can see it affecting her body in a negative way.

I’m going to half-way agree with you here. There are some people that are very unsightly, but I do think you are right and I think it boils down to a combination of things - such as actual physical appearance and then how you actually carry yourself. It doesn’t help if you are not gifted physically and then you have poor hygiene and dress as if you are blind. I am not trying to sound superficial (but I will), but the way you carry yourself speaks volumes about how you are perceived in society.

Our media reaches all of Europe. And I can say that as an American living in Europe (well, not anymore... #brexit). I think our influence over the world is unchallenged. People love to hate on America, but the reality is that we influence so much and I think that is where the fascination lies.

P.S. I had a few glasses of wine so I think my choice in words is rather poor. I apologise in advance. I also apologise because my computer is British and autocorrects to UK english on my behalf.

Last edited:

Bunraku

Oddity is good at using words I don’t know. I didn’t know what rancorous meant until he used it.

My point is that the American media is ubiquitous and it reaches even the most obscure corners of the world, just incase you needed it to be reiterated. :kissing:

What in the freaking world is ubiquitous. Like I've never seen that before.

ubiquitous |yo͞oˈbikwədəs|
adjective
present, appearing, or found everywhere: his ubiquitous influence was felt by all the family | cowboy hats are ubiquitous among the male singers.

Yes, I know this about the media. What's your point.

Oddity

I think our government here (BC, Canada) is going to ban trans-fat in food soon. This is a manifestation of a nanny state. If you don't take care of your body, the state will take care of it for you.

Scary stuff.

In much of the English-speaking world there's also serious noise about instating a sugar tax, reformulating soft drinks to have less sugar (they've already been reformulated, and people are drinking a lot less of them now than they were ten years ago, anyway), relabelling fast food (huh?), moving fast food places to be more inconvenient, ditto with restrictions on sweets sold in shops, the new 'there is no safe level of alcohol' and more restrictions on that, and now the anti-smoking gang is claiming that not only is second-hand smoke dangerous, but one smoker in one flat will contaminate a whole building. Apparently third-hand and fourth-hand smoke are now also equally lethal, even though nobody's actually proved that smoking is bad for anyone but - smokers.

Yeah, it's definitely nanny-state, and it's ugly.

Leo, I'm scared for anorexics because this whole campaign will start out shaming fat people and fat kids, and they're already terrified of being fat. Unintended consequences of this nanny-statism will follow. Bad ones. As if the intended consequences aren't bad enough.

People need information. After that, they get to decide what they want to do, the state doesn't get to decide for them, or it shouldn't, because society gets uglier and uglier every time that happens.

That's my big gripe with it, because to me personal liberties and control over what one ingests over-ride this new idea of 'health is the only virtue'. It isn't the only virtue, nor should it be. It's really about state control over very personal things.

I don't care if you smoke, or drink, or if you're fat or thin, or what you eat. That's up to you, or it should be, and your rights shouldn't be taken away. As for kids, they have enough pressure on them as is, they don't need this. Nor do grown-ups.

I know a lot of people with physical deformities, including me. No, don't feel sorry for myself, it is what it is.

Which has taken us a bit off-track about beauty, except enough pressure already there. Nobody needs more.

anjelik

Anjelik, where in your natal does it reflect your attitudes of beauty? :happy:

Haha 1st house? :innocent: I wish my I had my favourite emoji, which is the one with the wide tooth awkward smile. That kind of sums me up. Venus square Saturn describes me growing up.

I am not trying to come off an a d*ck when it comes to looks. Especially since I legitimately was always a chubby kid and know what it's like to feel inadequate, but I do get annoyed when I hear people complain about weight and looks and not do anything about it. Mostly because I think it's pure laziness in combination with helplessness. I can say this because that is how I felt at certain points in my life. So I don't have much pity for people who just complain and bash people who are thinner to better looking because they are too lazy to get off their couch and stop stuffing their face. If you don't care about how you look, cool, then don't worry about people who do. I just think too many people try to impose their opinions and feelings about how things should be upon others and it's annoying. If you want to be 300lbs and eat McDonald's then that's your perogative. But don't try to get on someone else's case because they want to be 110lbs and eat kale. To each their own - don't hate on the attractive dude with a six pack when you're stuffing big macs in your face and slamming Bud heavies.

Bunraku

Anjelik, this is a very interesting case study. Since I know you’re enjoying the wine, I’ll just list it as bullet points, but you can research it later if you’re interested.

• In the islands of Fiji, before TV was introduced, they had a food loving culture, where women would complement each other on their weight.
  • They’d take herbs to increase their appetite.
  • But as soon as TV was introduced, with shows like Beverly Hills 90210 (or whatever?), within a few years, plenty of women started to feel like they were too fat and instances of unhealthy behaviors to lose weight started to increase.
Mentioned: Their original eating habits were as detrimental as their new one. They just can’t catch a break!

Here it is if you want to have a read: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/347637.stm

Also I know we take several moments to respond to each other since we’re all busy writing posts. It’s a shame the forum can’t update itself in realtime :lol:

anjelik

In much of the English-speaking world there's also serious noise about instating a sugar tax, reformulating soft drinks to have less sugar (they've already been reformulated, and people are drinking a lot less of them now than they were ten years ago, anyway), relabelling fast food (huh?), moving fast food places to be more inconvenient, ditto with restrictions on sweets sold in shops, the new 'there is no safe level of alcohol' and more restrictions on that, and now the anti-smoking gang is claiming that not only is second-hand smoke dangerous, but one smoker in one flat will contaminate a whole building. Apparently third-hand and fourth-hand smoke are now also equally lethal, even though nobody's actually proved that smoking is bad for anyone but - smokers.

Leo, I'm scared for anorexics because this whole campaign will start out shaming fat people and fat kids, and they're already terrified of being fat. Unintended consequences of this nanny-statism will follow. Bad ones. As if the intended consequences aren't bad enough.

People need information. After that, they get to decide what they want to do, the state doesn't get to decide for them, or it shouldn't, because society gets uglier and uglier every time that happens.

That's my big gripe with it, because to me personal liberties and control over what one ingests over-ride this new idea of 'health is the only virtue'. It isn't the only virtue, nor should it be. It's really about state control over very personal things.

I don't care if you smoke, or drink, or if you're fat or thin, or what you eat. That's up to you, or it should be, and your rights shouldn't be taken away. As for kids, they have enough pressure on them as is, they don't need this. Nor do grown-ups.

I know a lot of people with physical deformities, including me. No, don't feel sorry for myself, it is what it is.

Which has taken us a bit off-track about beauty, except enough pressure already there. Nobody needs more.

The thing is, you can be scared for anorexics all you want but the disease will continue. Anorexia is not something that you can tell someone about and they will be like, "ok cool, what I see in the mirror is false and I am actually very thin." It is a debilitating disease and the people who suffer from it will never see what you or I see. It is sad and unfortunate and the people who suffer from it will suffer their entire lives, just as anyone who suffers from any other mental disorder will. I have known people with eating disorders and you can tell them they are beautiful and thin until the cows come home but they will still go on seeing themselves through their own lens.

Anjelik, this is a very interesting case study. Since I know you’re enjoying the wine, I’ll just list it as bullet points, but you can research it later if you’re interested.

• In the islands of Fiji, before TV was introduced, they had a food loving culture, where women would complement each other on their weight.
  • They’d take herbs to increase their appetite.
  • But as soon as TV was introduced, with shows like Beverly Hills 90210 (or whatever?), within a few years, plenty of women started to feel like they were too fat and instances of unhealthy behaviors to lose weight started to increase.
Mentioned: Their original eating habits were as detrimental as their new one. They just can’t catch a break!

Here it is if you want to have a read: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/347637.stm

Also I know we take several moments to respond to each other since we’re all busy writing posts. It’s a shame the forum can’t update itself in realtime :lol:

I have no idea how old you are, but I am going to estimate younger than me. You are citing TV from the 90s, when in fact if you look at actors from TV back in the 50s, 60s, and 70s they are all as thin. I think what you are trying to get at here is that the Westernisation of society upon these women made them change their point of view regarding their own physical appearance. I am so tired of hearing Marilyn Monroe was a size 14. She was a size 14 based not the sizing of the time. Just like I am a size 10/12 in the UK and a size 6/8 in the US. Go take a look at the Victorian standard of beauty and tell me that the introduction of corsets doesn't imply that thin equals beauty. It is not a new phenomena.

Last edited:

AppLeo

I mean I guess it's bad that the government has to step in, but it's whatever. There will always be stupid people that can't think for themselves. it's like the whole rights vs. protection debate. A lot of people would rather have their rights over protection. I think the reason why we have government and laws in the first place is to limit our free world enough so that we're safe enough. It's hard to say where you draw the line though.

Oddity

Leo, what you appear to be saying is that health is indeed the only virtue, and the government should make decisions about food, smoking, drinking, and god only knows what else - for you - if you are an adult.

To me, it seems that adults are fully capable of making those decisions on their own, that the government does not always know best, and should just bloody butt out of it. This is personal stuff. Not everyone is going to try to live a joyless life so that they can wring out an extra five or ten years of it, and that's their right.

Anjelik, you may have misunderstood me. With the current focus on government controlling food, they are fat-shaming. Anorexics are already convinced that they're fat. As soon as they hear from adverts and from various useful idiots how much worse being fat is than they even thought, the more they're going to starve themselves. That's my concern, and yes, I've had a couple friends die from anorexia, I know what it is.

Bunraku

I thought it was interesting how no matter whatever is fashionable, fat or thin, people will always have some sort of illness regarding it.

wan

I agree with Oddity. Our governments are regulating us to death. We should tell them to keep their noses out of our lives. We are adults--we are able to make decisions for ourselves.

Bunraku

HEALTH VS FASHION. Who will emerge victorious? Is being beautiful is more important than living a long life or is being healthy beautiful?

anjelik

I agree with Oddity. Our governments are regulating us to death. We should tell them to keep their noses out of our lives. We are adults--we are able to make decisions for ourselves.

My husband loves coming to the US for the buttered popcorn in movie theaters. I find this amusing because I never really considered this to be something of value. But I have noticed quite a few things in the 5 weeks I have been back in the US. For instance, the size of sugary drinks are definitely substantially larger than the UK. Portion sizes are another thing that I forgot about. I am not sure what you are referencing in terms of government regulation and/or what countries you reside in but based on your terminology of adverts I will guess either UK or Australia (Oddity).

wan

My husband loves coming to the US for the buttered popcorn in movie theaters. I find this amusing because I never really considered this to be something of value. But I have noticed quite a few things in the 5 weeks I have been back in the US. For instance, the size of sugary drinks are definitely substantially larger than the UK. Portion sizes are another thing that I forgot about. I am not sure what you are referencing in terms of government regulation and/or what countries you reside in but based on your terminology of adverts I will guess either UK or Australia (Oddity).

I currently live in Canada.