Looking at Progressions

jkxx74

Premium Member
To echo some of the other posters, I have noticed changes as well (and asked about some in recent months/years.) By far the prog. Sun and Moon going into Pisces has been the most pleasant for me along with more interest in astrology and psychology coming from that. Sun and Moon in Aqua were ok but hard to relate to at times. Definitely better now :)

When I go to the Astrodienst website, there is an option for progressed chart and for natal and progressed chart. Which one should I be looking at. They are both different. One of them obviously shows aspects to the natal chart, the other shows aspects to the progressed planets. Which one is more accurate or the one I should use?
Abby, you posted this a while ago so apologies if it was already answered. The progressed chart alone suggests personality changes and shifts so it and its angles are sort of "where your personality is right now".. thus aspects inside that chart would point to critical internal developments of some sort whether or not these connect back to the natal chart or not. If they actually do then the trend would be considered to be both extra significant and something that is likely to be reflected by world events since the natal chart is used to show these with transits.

It is fairly confusing looking at natal vs progressed houses however with a planet falling in H1 in one and H12 in the other..

FraterAC

Progressions are something you do maybe once in your life
I have to disagree on this. Once a year maybe. And keep an eye on the progressed Moon. For Secondary/Major progressions.
Plus there is no mention of Minor progressions (1 lunar revolution=1 year), which are extremely helpful and in many cases indicate (along with Transits) when Secondaries come into manifestation.
Taken together Secondary/Major, Minor progressions and Transits CAN definitely time influences to the day, if one is seriously trying to do that. The other missing piece is applying them to the Antiscia as if it were part of the natal chart.

JUPITERASC

I have to disagree on this. Once a year maybe.

Siriusly? :)
i.e.
"....At age 23 my Venus progressed into the Sign of Leo. I got married.

Because Venus progressed into Leo? Not entirely. My natal Mercury was Stationary in the natal 7th House
then it went Retrograde and then it went direct at age 26.

In reality, I was actually 25 1/2 years old when Mercury went Direct in my 7th House of Relationships..."

progressed Planets are nothing more than very very slow moving transits. Progressions are very internal in nature, meaning they're more likely to affect you mentally than physically. That doesn't mean progressions don't affect you physically, they can,

for example a Planet progressing into the 6th House or the 6th House Ruler progressing into the 8th or 12th House or into certain aspects with the rulers of the 6th, 8th or 12th Houses can signify an illness.

The symbolism is "day-for-a-year" so each day after your birthday is one year of your life.
At age 19, my natal Venus progressed to conjunct the 9th House Cusp at 25° Cancer. How do you interpret that?
The 9th House Cusp is Cancer ruled by my Moon in my natal 4th House. What is the 9th House? Among things, it's long journeys. 4th House is the home.
I left the United States and didn't return for about 10 years. See? It ain't so hard.
When I was 28, natal Sun changed Signs and entered Cancer. Did I become a Cancer? No, but I did take on some of the traits of Cancer. I became more sensitive, very emotional and extremely traditional, plus I took on a few of the negative characteristics, like brooding and being way too cautious, but then I was suffering from PTSD and the effects were starting to manifest themselves in a serious way.

Aspect orbs for progressions are 30' to 1° maximum. In addition to aspects, Planets changing Signs, Houses or going Direct or Retrograde are very important to note. For Planets that go Direct or Retrograde, The same is true if a progressed Planet goes Direct or Retrograde at the pre-natal eclipses or the last Moon before birth (which will either be a Full Moon or a New Moon).
What if a progressed Planet goes Direct or Retrograde at the same point where there is a transiting Eclipse or New/Full Moon for that month? I don't know, but note it and look at it in detail later. You can ignore Lunar Eclipses after 3 months, but for Solar Eclipses it'll depend on the nature of the Sign (ie 3 months for Cardinal, 6 months for Mutable and 12 months for Fixed).

After you make your list or table, look at past events and see if you can make sense of them. As I said, not everything will manifest itself in a way that you can physically see. Once you get a feel for past events, you can start looking at future events.
And keep an eye on the progressed Moon. For Secondary/Major progressions.
Plus there is no mention of Minor progressions (1 lunar revolution=1 year), which are extremely helpful and in many cases indicate (along with Transits) when Secondaries come into manifestation.
Taken together Secondary/Major, Minor progressions and Transits CAN definitely time influences to the day, if one is seriously trying to do that. The other missing piece is applying them to the Antiscia as if it were part of the natal chart.

Last edited:

FraterAC

Siriusly? :)
i.e.
"....At age 23 my Venus progressed into the Sign of Leo. I got married.

Because Venus progressed into Leo? Not entirely. My natal Mercury was Stationary in the natal 7th House
then it went Retrograde and then it went direct at age 26.

In reality, I was actually 25 1/2 years old when Mercury went Direct in my 7th House of Relationships..."
Yeah, seriously.

JUPITERASC

Yeah, seriously.
Quite :)

i.e.

BobZemco said:

At age 19, my natal Venus progressed to conjunct the 9th House Cusp at 25° Cancer. How do you interpret that?
The 9th House Cusp is Cancer ruled by my Moon in my natal 4th House.
What is the 9th House? Among things, it's long journeys. 4th House is the home.
I left the United States
and
didn't return for about 10 years
. See? It ain't so hard.

FraterAC

Progressions

Secondary Progressions take priority in foretelling events since they reflect conditions for the individual at any time in question…it is the progressions that set the stage for potential events showing detailed conditions and circumstances for a particular time frame.

Transits

“The transits are very predictive of events when used in combination with the progressed chart. It is not enough to assume that because a transiting planet forms an aspect to a natal planet that any major event will take place based on the nature of the two. That is why relying only on descriptions of the transits is often inaccurate or overstated. Unless there is a theme presented in the progressions for the transits to stimulate, a simple transit may go by with hardly any notice.”

Predicting Events with Astrology
Celeste Teal

FraterAC

Progressions -- and there are many different techniques included under that umbrella term -- should form the basis of any astrological attempt at forecasting. They are also the key to determining the prevalent astrological influences for any time in an individual's life.
Even focusing only on Secondary/Major progressions, there are a number of subtleties that may not be immediately apparent.
It's a positive sign that some here are beginning at least to consider these techniques.

FraterAC

It's a positive sign that some here are beginning at least to consider these techniques.
...even if all they do is continue to repost the same tired links over and over.

1688946312527.jpeg

JUPITERASC

This thread began THIRTEEN YEARS AGO in 2010

meanwhile 2023 :)
Maria talks about Secondary Progressions

and how it is a powerful tool in astrology
to understand the landscape of your internal life development.

She discusses the significance of years when your Progressed Sun, Mercury, Venus, Mars

or the angles of your chart change signs. What does this mean for you and your life journey?

FraterAC

I don't usually post links to videos, since there are others here who specialize in that kind of thing, but I think if one is really interested in progressions, they might find this video worth a look.

JUPITERASC

Discussing what happens when planets station retrograde or direct by secondary progression,
and how this can be used as an important timing technique in astrology,
using celebrity and personal charts as examples :)
in order to demonstrate how the technique works in practice.

with astrologers Catherine Urban, Nick Dagan Best, and Chris Brennan.