Laptop for astrologer?

Osamenor

Staff member
So, I'm getting a new laptop. My Chromebook doesn't seem reparable and isn't working now, and I want to replace it with a Windows or Mac laptop, so I can run real astrology software on it (I think I want Solar Fire) and have some actual hard drive storage. Mostly, I work online and use cloud services for just about everything, but when I'm starting practice as an astrologer, there are some things that just aren't as good in the cloud.

Here's what I want:

- A fairly lightweight laptop, so it's easy to carry. I'll probably be carrying it with me a few times a week, not just using it at home.

- Something with minimal susceptibility to bugs and viruses.

- Minimal need for backup and updating. I hate doing that and, frankly, will probably have trouble remembering to. That was a big reason why I opted for a Chromebook previously.

- Good for running astrology software, obviously. Solar Fire comes in both Windows and Mac versions, so it could work on either. In my experience, Macs are pretty user friendly when it comes to actually using them, but require a lot of work to keep them backed up and updated (I don't know if that's more so than Windows, or just my impression).

- Long battery life

- Good durability and longevity: unlikely to break easily, won't need many repairs, won't need to be replaced very soon.

- Sound that works well enough for webinars and Skyping and things like that, but it doesn't have to be anything high end.

Here's what I don't need: high end graphics (I'll watch the occasional video on my computer, but I don't do gaming or much photography), touch screen or detachable keyboard (I like my computer to be a computer - if I wanted a tablet, I'd get a tablet instead).

So, for you astrologers (and amateurs), what would you recommend, based on laptops you have experience with? (And if you don't use yours for astrology, other than visiting an astrology site, that's fine - as long as you have experience with some of what I'm looking for.)

watcherofthesouth

I've been happy with a Mac (I've found it's the lightest too) and would recommend one. SolarFire is a top choice for astrologers - I hear WinStar is good as well.

Osamenor

Staff member
I've been happy with a Mac (I've found it's the lightest too) and would recommend one. SolarFire is a top choice for astrologers - I hear WinStar is good as well.

How often do you have to do backups and updates on your Mac?

My dad has a Mac desktop that he's always running backups and updates on. But, he's very particular about doing everything right, and very cautious. From him, I get the sense that Macs are extra fussy, but maybe it's just him being extra fussy. He's been encouraging me to get a Mac, in fact, because he thinks they're the greatest, but I have some different wants/needs in a computer from his, so I want second opinions!

haley

So, I'm getting a new laptop. My Chromebook doesn't seem reparable and isn't working now, and I want to replace it with a Windows or Mac laptop, so I can run real astrology software on it (I think I want Solar Fire) and have some actual hard drive storage. Mostly, I work online and use cloud services for just about everything, but when I'm starting practice as an astrologer, there are some things that just aren't as good in the cloud.

Here's what I want:

- A fairly lightweight laptop, so it's easy to carry. I'll probably be carrying it with me a few times a week, not just using it at home.

- Something with minimal susceptibility to bugs and viruses.

- Minimal need for backup and updating. I hate doing that and, frankly, will probably have trouble remembering to. That was a big reason why I opted for a Chromebook previously.

- Good for running astrology software, obviously. Solar Fire comes in both Windows and Mac versions, so it could work on either. In my experience, Macs are pretty user friendly when it comes to actually using them, but require a lot of work to keep them backed up and updated (I don't know if that's more so than Windows, or just my impression).

- Long battery life

- Good durability and longevity: unlikely to break easily, won't need many repairs, won't need to be replaced very soon.

- Sound that works well enough for webinars and Skyping and things like that, but it doesn't have to be anything high end.

Here's what I don't need: high end graphics (I'll watch the occasional video on my computer, but I don't do gaming or much photography), touch screen or detachable keyboard (I like my computer to be a computer - if I wanted a tablet, I'd get a tablet instead).

So, for you astrologers (and amateurs), what would you recommend, based on laptops you have experience with? (And if you don't use yours for astrology, other than visiting an astrology site, that's fine - as long as you have experience with some of what I'm looking for.)
Yay!! Finally a question I’m very qualified to answer! (Until I get better at astrology lol) I work in IT so I think I can help :)

First off, I should point out that I have a Mac for personal use, but at work I use a Windows machine. We also service Mac and Windows where I work, so I have experience with both.

While Macs are very user friendly, they still have their issues. You won’t be able to count a Mac for long battery life. If you get one, always have your charger on you. I personally think they’re way too expensive. You can get a reliable Windows laptop for half the price. Moreover, the new Macs only have USB-C ports, so if you want to plug in anything with a normal USB (your phone, a flash drive etc.) you’ll have to buy an additional adapter, which can run around $60 each. Usually, Macs don’t have a ton of storage. Apple does this so you’ll upgrade your hardware, which can get very expensive. Part of the big price tag of a Mac is the Retina display, HD screen. If you aren’t doing graphics work and need a dope screen, it’s wasted money.

You’re right about the updating/backing up a Mac. You will have to do that often. Also, I’ve come across some astrology software that isn’t compatible with Mac. You’ll find more things are compatible with Windows in general. If you do get a Mac, I’d recommend purchasing Apple Care. If your machine does need to be serviced, you don’t have to pay for it. You can bring it into any Apple Store and usually have it back the same day.

A pro of getting a Mac is they last FOREVER. Ultimately, technology is made to break so you’ll eventually buy something new, but you can really rely on the durability of a Mac. Their base specs are good but, as I mentioned, you can get a great Windows alternative. One really great thing about Macs I should mention, their security and antivirus is amazing. It’s built into the operating system so you don’t have to worry about an additional program for antivirus or viruses in general.

Windows is competing with this by adding Windows Defender to their new machines. This is an effective, built in antivirus software where you can run your own scans, which a Mac doesn’t allow for. You shouldn’t have to worry about installing another antivirus program on a new Windows machine. We do for the staff at my workplace because people are dumb, but if you’re responsible with what you’re downloading that shouldn’t be an issue.

I’ll do some research on a few good, reliable laptops and link them here shortly. :)

haley

The following laptops fit the requirements you're looking for. I wasn't sure of your price range so there are a variety of options listed.

Windows Laptops:
1. Lenovo Yoga C930 - This one does have a touchscreen, but it fulfills all of your requirements and recommended by a variety of experts. Lenovos can be some of the most pricey Windows machines, just so you know.
2. Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon - More expensive than the one listed above but for good reason! Incredibly durable and comparable to the Macbook.
3. ASUS 15.6" - Really great bang for the buck here, but a lower price could indicate a lower durability & lasting value
4. Dell XPS 13.3 - One of the best Windows laptops on the market

I think this is a good, reasonably priced Mac:
Macbook 12"

I hope this helps!

Last edited: