Jung and Astrology

Senecar

I just have come across some books in Amazon for the subject.

I am wondering if Jung had practiced any Astrology in his life time, or would it be just theoretical aspect of astrology from psychology he professes on how it works etc.

I also wonder if any of you have read about Jung's Astrological work, and if you are practicing or studying astrology based on Jung, and if so, how you find it.

IleneK

Premium Member
I was affected by the same insight.
Quite a while back, I did a number of years of Jungian analysis. And when I found out about Jung's interest in astrology, I decided to look into and then study psychological astrology, beginning with the extensive work of Jungian analyst and astrologer, Liz Greene as well as Karen Hamaker-Zontag, and some others.

Jung did not practice astrology, but I suspect took an interest in its rich symbolic content.

I have found the practice of psychological astrology to be very revealing of one's psychological profile, so quite helpful in understanding of self. Not so helpful in providing actual remedies or advice for what one finds, though, in my personal experience. For that, you likely need a more formal code of self-examination and ethics to guide you on your way.

Last edited:

Senecar

Great.

So what is Jungian Astrology? How is it different from say, Traditional or other schools of Astrology?

Does it offer predictions for the future questions? Does it include Horary astrology?

Senecar

FACULTY OF ASTROLOGICAL STUDIES
workshop on this topic recorded in 2017 :smile:
available for sale
at https://www.astrology.org.uk/liz-greene-jung-and-astrology/

Thanks for the link. Great.

But I am not wanting to spend over 100 ukp, for the recordings material.
I just came across this topic, and just am curios than fully dedicated to the study or practice.

I would like to get rough ideas about the topic, before I delve into it deeper, if I find it interesting or useful. :)

miquar

Hi Senecar. Liz Greene is both Jungian analyst and psychological astrologer. She's written a lot of excellent books which bring the two together. Good ones to start with would be Relating, and the first four Centre for Psychological Astrology publications:

Dynamics of the Unconscious
The Development of the Personality
The Luminaries
The Inner Planets

As far as I know, Jung did some statistical research on astrology - something to do with the Sun and Moon in the natal charts of married couples, I think(?)

Best wishes

Miquar

obsidianmineral

I was affected by the same insight.
Quite a while back, I did a number of years of Jungian analysis. And when I found out about Jung's interest in astrology, I decided to look into and then study psychological astrology, beginning with the extensive work of Jungian analyst and astrologer, Liz Greene as well as Karen Hamaker-Zontag, and some others.

Jung did not practice astrology, but I suspect took an interest in its rich symbolic content.

I have found the practice of psychological astrology to be very revealing of one's psychological profile, so quite helpful in understanding of self. Not so helpful in providing actual remedies or advice for what one finds, though, in my personal experience. For that, you likely need a more formal code of self-examination and ethics to guide you on your way.

Interesting that you mentioned he liked its rich symbolic content! I guess I am more into astrology than he was and I like practicing and reading charts, but above all else, I also enjoy its symbolic content. It comes around so nicely and wholly.

Doomsday

It comes around so nicely and wholly.

Doesn't it though?
It seems like every single birth chart has a plot or theme.

"We are born at a given moment, in a given place and, like vintage years of wine, we have the qualities of the year and of the season of which we are born. Astrology does not lay claim to anything more."
- Carl Jung

Last edited:

IleneK

Premium Member
Interesting that you mentioned he liked its rich symbolic content! I guess I am more into astrology than he was and I like practicing and reading charts, but above all else, I also enjoy its symbolic content. It comes around so nicely and wholly.

Jung was totally into symbolic content, but it was the symbolic content of dreams, like his mentor, Freud. Who know what Jung might have done if he had been introduced to astrology much earlier in his life...?

And quite honestly it is the symbolic content of astrology that was the primary draw for me. Actually, it still is. To be able to translate what the symbols mean into a portrait of one's psyche, so we can learn how to better work with our inner lives, or as Jung might say, with the inner archetypes in our psyches.

It's very cool!

Senecar

Hi Senecar. Liz Greene is both Jungian analyst and psychological astrologer. She's written a lot of excellent books which bring the two together. Good ones to start with would be Relating, and the first four Centre for Psychological Astrology publications:

Dynamics of the Unconscious
The Development of the Personality
The Luminaries
The Inner Planets

As far as I know, Jung did some statistical research on astrology - something to do with the Sun and Moon in the natal charts of married couples, I think(?)

Best wishes

Miquar

I do have a couple of books by Liz Greene in my bookshelf, but they are not above.

I think both are about personal relationship and fate in Astrology.
I have not read them yet.

IleneK

Premium Member
I do have a couple of books by Liz Greene in my bookshelf, but they are not above.

I think both are about personal relationship and fate in Astrology.
I have not read them yet.

All of miquar's recommendations are very helpful books, I think. And the two you have also both very good books, as well. The Astrology of Fate blew my mind when I read it.

Senecar

All of miquar's recommendations are very helpful books, I think. And the two you have also both very good books, as well. The Astrology of Fate blew my mind when I read it.

Yes, that is the book I have. I will be reading it sometime in the future.

lukasT

not only was he into the symbolic content and did some research about synastry astrology as stated above, but also he was dealing with charts of his clients as an assistance with therapy plz remember that

IleneK

Premium Member
not only was he into the symbolic content and did some research about synastry astrology as stated above, but also he was dealing with charts of his clients as an assistance with therapy plz remember that

Yes his purpose was to employ very limited parts of the charts for Jungian analysis; his interest was psychological symbolic content in the therapeutic process.

lukasT

do you know any details of Jung's work with astrological symbolism?

problably liz greene and psychological astrology deal with it in similar manner.
are there any texts concerning the method of jungian analysis using a tool of natal chart?

IleneK

Premium Member
do you know any details of Jung's work with astrological symbolism?

problably liz greene and psychological astrology deal with it in similar manner.
are there any texts concerning the method of jungian analysis using a tool of natal chart?

sorry but I am not aware of any such such texts, not being a Jungian scholar.