traditional / modern / contemporary

waybread

Jupiter Asc, sorry but I couldn't get your link to that other thread to open. The Internet is often slow to non-functional in my small rural community.

But I think I read your copied and pasted material previously. Some of it several times.

I am also capable of reading other members' posts and digesting them. And drawing different conclusions than you do.

I also have to say that many of Valens's charts couldn't possibly have been from his own practice. Does this matter to you? I'll start another thread on them.

Last edited:

Rebel Uranian

Rebel Uranian-- I do appreciate your Uranian impatience to learn and know everything simultaneously-- I share it, as well! Unfortunately, astrology takes years of study. There is also a "fallacy of over-generalization." Just because some modern astrologers' ideas are silly doesn't mean that all modern astrologers' ideas are silly.

Mostly I'm talking about Liz Greene and all the popular ones when I say that. The idea of referring to a school at all in any case can often be a silly one.

The notion that "traditional astrology is to fatalism as modern astrology is to free will" of course is unsupported by the facts. We had a long thread on this topic a while back. Traditional astrology included both stoics and Catholics whose church taught that everyone has moral choice. Modern astrology includes incredulous optimists as well as horribly negative purveyors of karma from (evil) past lives.

Much of modern astrology (yay, no over-generalization!) seems more fatalistic to me than traditional astrology because it's like "oh, you can change things that happen, but not how you are inside" which really pisses me off for obvious reasons. Aren't our actions determined by "how we are inside?"

waybread

Rebel Uranian-- Well, you probably noticed that Liz Greene is not on my "A" list.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "how you are inside"?

sandstone

Banned
perhaps it's necessary to explore the use of these terms 'traditional' and 'modern' a bit more fully.

“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.” heraclitus.. this sort of sums up some of my thoughts on what i am going to say here..

if one has read ceo carter, robert hand, alan leo, steve arroyo, liz greene, reinhold ebertin, alfred witte, nic campion, charles harvey, michael harding, john addey, david hamblin and authors/astrologers/researchers (historical and astro) like these (i am missing a number of others here), i think it safe to say they've 'stepped into and drank some of the water' of modern astrology.. to my way of thinking every one of these authors including liz greene has a wealth of wisdom and knowledge to offer that may or may not be of interest to some directly, but it would seem bizarre to ignore the work of these people in an attempt to turn back the river or remove oneself from the river where astrology presently finds itself..

as rebel u suggested in the beginning of this thread - these categories (trad/mod etc) are limiting. we may have to limit ourselves in that we have only so many hours in the day, but we don't have to close our mind to the wisdom and knowledge that is unique to those who are sharing their insights whether they be considered modern or traditional! a particular style may appeal more to someone then not - this i see happen with music regularly too), but an exposure to different styles makes us all wealthier as i see it. i think there is a way to see the benefit of both traditional and modern approaches as well.

that is it on that for now.. perhaps someone would like to articulate what they call 'traditional' and what it means to them.

tsmall quote >>"So much of astrology lately seems more like guesswork and supposing than actual prediction. It also could explain in part why astrology is now more focused on inner development than on actual events. I would also go so far as to say that modern astrology isn't even based on astronomy, as a few recent threads here have shown that the zodiac used is tied to the Sun and earth, not the stars themselves.<<

thanks tsmall for sharing your thoughts here.. i think one reason why astrology has focused on inner development is that those who practice it have had an interest in inner development. it says something about those practicing as i see it.. there certainly was a new wave of interest in astrology beginning in the 60's as i understand it.. same thing for an increased interest in vegetarianism, and many of the religions of the east, or spirituality more generally. that some of this was reflected in a type of approach to astrology ought not to be a surprise!

as for your comment 'modern astrology isn't even based on astronomy', i think one has to understand the relationships that are being considered. waybread gave a good overview, but i would like to articulate my own thoughts on this here.. the tropical zodiac is not based on anything sidereal and was mis-named and has created much confusion, and leverage for those who would like to dismiss astrology all together..

the relationship between planet earth and the sun, moon and planets as viewed from earth - "geocentric" is indeed astronomical in nature.. that western or tropical zodiac astrology doesn't focus on or use stars and constellations (some do some don't) doesn't alter the fact what is being looked at is still astronomical in nature.

they are 2 different systems working from with different reference points. one - sidereal which is considering our sun and planets in relation to a more distant backdrop of the constellations along the ecliptic primarily and incorporating stars, while the other system - tropical is more local and focuses on the relationship of planet earth to the sun including the planets in this solar system.. hopefully this clarifies something for someone here..

Rebel Uranian

What I said about not sorting people and their ideas into schools quite so much goes back to my own experience with music, actually. There is a so-called "Modernist" school in music which includes John Cage, Morton Feldman, Milton Babbitt, and others. Cage and Feldman's idea of music was basically the antithesis of Babbitt's, but it is still often lumped into the same category. This happens in all time periods in music and all art forms, actually. I'd say it's a universal concept, which sadly says that it's likely tied to some inherent part of human nature.

I'm not interested in self-development, I'm interested in distancing from myself and seeing reality as it actually is, by whatever means I need to get there. You can't really know anything unless you know everything. I'm not interested in any specific detail. I want to know the mind of God.

Shouldn't a true sidereal approach use whatever constellations touch the ecliptic for whatever lengths the ecliptic goes through them? How would one determine the dignity of planets in Ophiuchus and new constellations like that?

tsmall

Premium Member
sandstone, this is way off topic, but your music analogies really make sense (resonate??) to me. I consider learning astrology to be similar to the way I, having never played an instrument or learned formally to read music, have been able to slowly learn to sight sing. First, as an alto, I had to train my ear to hear something other than the melody everyone could sing (and be told that when the notes move up the staff, so does the vocal pitch.) Slowly, I became able to read rhythm (though whomever invented 12/8 time deserves to be shot, just sayin') and give the true value to the dotted quarter notes and sixteenth rests. You can count 6/8 in six, or in two, it all comes out the same in the end. Astrology is like that? Some of us sing on the treble clef, some on the bass, some emphasize beats 1 and 3, some beats 2 and 4...and some prefer Baroque...but in the end, we are all making music?

Last edited:

Rebel Uranian

Regulus is only going to stay in the constellation of Leo for 1800 more years? I'm searching and I can't find anything about it. That sounds like a short time for a star (or, in this case, star system) to stay in a constellation considering the lifespan of stars.

dr. farr

Regulus is only going to stay in the constellation of Leo for 1800 more years? I'm searching and I can't find anything about it. That sounds like a short time for a star (or, in this case, star system) to stay in a constellation considering the lifespan of stars.

Actually, Cor Leonis (the heart of the lion), aka Regulus, has "always" been in the starry constellation of Leo and will "always" remain in the constellation of Leo; it is relative to either the tropicalist signs, or to the quasi-constellational "rashi's" of Vedic astrology, that we speak of Regulus "moving into" or "being in" or "passing through" them.

tsmall

Premium Member
Actually, Cor Leonis (the heart of the lion), aka Regulus, has "always" been in the starry constellation of Leo and will "always" remain in the constellation of Leo; it is relative to either the tropicalist signs, or to the quasi-constellational "rashi's" of Vedic astrology, that we speak of Regulus "moving into" or "being in" or "passing through" them.

So, I read this as meaning that Regulus and/or Leo are moving from their tropical positions along the ecliptic, the stars themselves not changing from thier places in the constellations with which they are associated? For the uninitiated (me) what are "rashi's?" The equivalant of tropical signs?

dr. farr

For me, the finest of the Modernist astrologers was Charles Carter: want to see some of the best Modernist astrology has to say, then read Carter:
-Principles of Astrology
-The Astrological Aspects
-Some Principles of Horoscopic Delineation
-Essays on the Foundations of Astrology
-Encyclopedia of Psychological Astrology
-The Zodiac and the Soul
-Symbolic Directions in Modern Astrology
-Astrology of Accidents

...these were my first astrology books, way back in the 60's, and I have journeyed far since then; but the material in these books is really great, its NOT "mush" or "new age fluff", it strong, bold, clear cut, reasonable, insightful and very practical, like I said, I think it represents the best of Modernist astrology, for those who are open minded enough to realize that there is value in Modernism just as there is value in Traditionalist, Hellenist, Vedica and other approaches to our ART...

dr. farr

So, I read this as meaning that Regulus and/or Leo are moving from their tropical positions along the ecliptic, the stars themselves not changing from thier places in the constellations with which they are associated? For the uninitiated (me) what are "rashi's?" The equivalant of tropical signs?

Yes: the stars forever remain part of their native constellations; Regulus will forever be the Heart of Leo, Spica the golden shaft of starry Virgo, Arcturus the essence of Bootes, Sharatan the star on the rising horn of Aries, and so on.

"Rashi" (also "rasi"), meaning "a collection of 30", is the technical term for "sign" in jyotish (Vedic astrology); these are connected with zodiacal constellations via adjustments called "ayanamsa" (similar to the adjustment found in Western Fagan/Bradley Sidereal); however, Vedic has several ayanamsa's (the "official" one is the Lahiri ayanamsa, which is within 1 degree of the Fagan/Bradley calculation used in Western Sidereal)

waybread

Sugar, how sweet! I wish you well. If you have found a brand of astrology that works for you, more power to you. But please don't criticize material that you haven't read. Death prediction is highly controversial and few reputable professional astrologers will practice it. It is not allowed under the ethics codes of several major astrological professional associations. I realize that it was a huge concern in past centuries when people didn't live so long.

But whoops! Did I just mention the history of astrology? My bad.

Name-calling has no place in this discussion.

I would be happy to tackle your chart from a modern astrology perspective, but "read my chart" requests belong on a separate thread. Please pm me when you've done so.

Rebel Uranian

He has a point. Sometimes smart people talk too much and act too little.

Now, as to saying that we're not willing to work, yay, over-generalizations, lumping people into a group. But he still has a point.

JUPITERASC

For a traditionalist it's easy work. John Worsdale does this in his sleep, he didn't even have a calculator, or any technology, only the willingness to learn and work. [deleted attacking comments - Moderator]
He has a point. Sometimes smart people talk too much and act too little.
Now, as to saying that we're not willing to work, yay, over-generalizations, lumping people into a group. But he still has a point.
Agreed Rebel Uranian - as Sugar has said, discussing whether "My Zodiac's bigger than your Zodiac" solves nothing and simply distracts from the practice of astrology - after all if astrologers using both zodiacs are getting good results with both zodiacs then who cares for the reason why? Everyone experiment, find the technique and/or zodiac that suits you and read charts!

"Where's BobZemco"?
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42191 Bring Back Bob :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

sandstone

Banned
tsmall,

those are beautiful analogies between music and astrology so thanks for that! music and astrology are like languages that communicate different things to different people.. no one would say for example "you don't speak english" therefore you are using language all the wrong way, or 'it isn't classical' so i am not listening to it, lol.. well obviously some folks would do just this, but that is another story..

do astrologers have to all speak the same language? the fact is, they don't which brings me to what i would prefer not to address but feel it is necessary..

sugar,

it's unfortunate you feel the need to express in such an anti-social unfriendly manner, but you did indirectly answer my question from earlier, so i thank you for that.. horary astrology is only one avenue of astrology. perhaps you are unaware of this.. that bob=god to you is all fine and dandy, but to suggest the rest of us don't know diddley about astrology becuase we aren't telling you when you are going to drop dead is really asking for too much! to suggest we all practice only one type of astrology or else we don't know what we are talking about is also a bit much.. only an ignoramus would suggest such.. for that i give you credit!

i read up on bob.. he appears to be the person responsible for putting a few silly ideas in some folks head, aside from his teaching abilities specifically related to horary astrology.. for someone to suggest to the hypothetical parents of kurt cobain who went for a reading with robert hand, that the words from hands book on transits wasn't going to be of any benefit to the parents begs the question, of what benefit would it be for bob to tell the parents, well you know, based on my knowledge of horary, your son is going to drop dead in a few months anyway?

people use astrology for all sorts of different reasons, but if you think being able to ascertain the time of a persons death or how many wifes they'll have is of the up most relevance or that this is how you can tell whether an astrologer knows their stuff or not, you are not working with a full load my friend, aside from having a real talent for anti-social behaviour..

i have to address something else with regard to the attachment on bob's sign off to some of his posts that i happened to note.. clearly a derogatory attitude towards modern astrology is being expressed which it appears some folks continue to cultivate here as stand in for him as well.

:Four Modern Astrologers said Serial Killer John Wayne Gacy: "…can be very good with kids..." "...just your presence would be beneficial to other people..." "...a fairly well-rounded personality...you can offer a good role model..." "You have an instinctive awareness and your uninhibited response to life can refresh and gladden whomever you encounter."

Traditional Astrology Says: "...shows a strange mind and very wicked."

the comparison is skewed... there are no examples of what a traditional astrologer says, but instead: traditional astrology says ".."
modern astrology says: "..." there is no example of what modern astrology says, just four modern astrologers said "..." that is one skewed comparison.. one would hope the author doesn't make similar skewed conclusions with their work in astrology..

and on a positive note - thanks for the ongoing conversation here everyone, even sugar.. made me work a little bit and learn more about the community here that i signed onto a few weeks ago..

tsmall

Premium Member
I don't care about the history of astrology, I only care about the practice; accuracy and sorts.

I'm not reading all that ****, you guys like to talk about astrology, but none of you know how to read a chart.

Don't believe me?

Read mine:

When am I going to die?
In what manner of death?
How many wives will I have?
Will I be rich? How bout fame?

For a traditionalist it's easy work. John Worsdale does this in his sleep, he didn't even have a calculator, or any technology, only the willingness to learn and work.

No one on this forum can read a chart, but Bob.

Could a modern astrology do this? no of course not

Notice how Bobby never speaks about Astrology, but only practice it? That's how you know when someones great

You guy's like talk about astrology because, you don't know how to practice it. You're too lazy to learn. You are bad students. That's why people are attracted to Modern Astrology; it's easier.

That's why you can't read a chart, that's why you don't understand Primary Directions. You don't have the passion for Astrology. You're not willing to read hours upon hours everyday, in the hopes of learning this science.

You don't treat it like a science, you don't know the difference between Placidus and Bonatti's delineations. You don't understand why Lily misunderstood Primary Directions.

Most of you don't care, and are unwilling to learn to practice, so all you do is sit around and talk. Argue over stupid ****; you're not fit to be an Astrologer.

I have an iq of around 65, average is 100, and I can read charts, I couldn't even pass high school

There's no excuse why any of you can't learn this. All of you are smarter than me, but are unwilling to put in work

Sugar, I truly appreciate your posts, and the little snippets of good astrological wisdom you have posted since your first thread, in June of this year, requesting information on where/how one can find a way to learn traditional astrology, have value, and are accurate....

I have to though marvel at how someone with a professed below average IQ can go from 0 to Autobon in just 6 months, while the rest of us newbies who really want to understand traditional methods are reading, and reading...and not just posts here either....

In Re BobZ (whom so many of us miss) um, yeah, there was an "in your face" attitude in some of his posts, and a sincerly sarcastic humor that made me laugh out loud on more than one occasion... but, contrary to what you imply, Bob took the time to have astrological conversations. There are several sticky threads here that he started. He tried to help people "see the light" regarding traditional astrology, and it's purpose. You, Sugar, want to be like your hero Bob Zemco? Get the heck down off your high horse and share your knowledge. If not, I question your motives for staying here, in a learning forum? There is always a choice to make. You can let the unenlightened muddle through the dark on their own, or you can shine a light. What, pray tell, is the purpose of bashing someone over the head with your bushel basket?

JUPITERASC

Sugar, I truly appreciate your posts, and the little snippets of good astrological wisdom you have posted since your first thread, in June of this year, requesting information on where/how one can find a way to learn traditional astrology, have value, and are accurate.... I have to though marvel at how someone with a professed below average IQ can go from 0 to Autobon in just 6 months, while the rest of us newbies who really want to understand traditional methods are reading, and reading...and not just posts here either....
tsmall, would you agree that Sugar is deeply aware that although as you have reminded us and I quote
Bob took the time to have astrological conversations. There are several sticky threads here that he started. He tried to help people "see the light" regarding traditional astrology, and it's purpose”
- despite all of Bob's efforts his advice was clearly not needed by the majority on this forum. I suspect Sugar is having a similar experience and the reasons are simple and easily explained - Modern astrologers do not practice Traditional astrology!

Bob clearly practices Traditional astrology and has therefore now gone, leaving only traces of his presence in the form of those useful stickies as well as a few other posts containing much useful Traditional astrological information.

In Re BobZ (whom so many of us miss) um, yeah, there was an "in your face" attitude in some of his posts, and a sincerly sarcastic humor that made me laugh out loud on more than one occasion... but, contrary to what you imply, Bob took the time to have astrological conversations. There are several sticky threads here that he started. He tried to help people "see the light" regarding traditional astrology, and it's purpose. You, Sugar, want to be like your hero Bob Zemco? Get the heck down off your high horse and share your knowledge. If not, I question your motives for staying here, in a learning forum? There is always a choice to make. You can let the unenlightened muddle through the dark on their own, or you can shine a light. What, pray tell, is the purpose of bashing someone over the head with your bushel basket?
Reading over some of those posts left by BobZemco one discovers they include plenty of helpful and specific detail.

The detail appears more than sufficient to reward a reading of these posts on a daily basis for many hours which when combined with doing the math and working out the principles with real life examples (as clearly Sugar appears to have done for the past six months) is apparently sufficient to gain proficiency - particularly when one focuses solely on Traditional astrology as one assumes Sugar does!

Sugar repeats that the Study of astrology is time consuming it is apparent therefore that to focus on one 'branch' at a time is a a good strategy. Sugar obviously chooses to focus on 'Traditional' astrology - everyone has a choice.

Sugar appears to have a wish to emulate BobZemco so it is a safe assumption that Sugar has thoroughly studied any available posts provided by Bob – and Bob seems to have already provided more than sufficient instruction, for anyone interested, to master 'the basics' of Traditional astrology. I notice Sugar mentions a John Worsdale - clearly another source of guidance for Sugar. Perhaps then, a study of John Worsdale could prove profitable! "Celestial Philosophy or Genethliacal Astronomy" [Paperback] by John Worsdale :smile:

I don't care about the history of astrology, I only care about the practice; accuracy and sorts. For a traditionalist it's easy work. John Worsdale does this in his sleep, he didn't even have a calculator, or any technology, only the willingness to learn and work. You don't treat it like a science, you don't know the difference between Placidus and Bonatti's delineations. You don't understand why Lily misunderstood Primary Direction...I have an iq of around 65, average is 100, and I can read charts, I couldn't even pass high school There's no excuse why any of you can't learn this. All of you are smarter than me, but are unwilling to put in work
Sugar is not claiming intellectual superiority of any kind and simply appears puzzled as to why despite there being Traditional astrological stickies and other posts on Traditional astrology available to read that have been provided by BobZemco, apparently few if any are studying those posts with equal fervour.
Sugar, how sweet! I wish you well.... Death prediction is highly controversial and few reputable professional astrologers will practice it. It is not allowed under the ethics codes of several major astrological professional associations. I realize that it was a huge concern in past centuries when people didn't live so long.
I notice that when a Traditional astrologer mentions the delineation of death they are discouraged from doing so - perhaps an interest in death prediction is the origin of the disapproval of Traditional astrology :smile:

wilsontc

Staff member
leave off the attacking, to all

All,

Heated discussions are fine, but the attacking is NOT permitted. I have edited and will continue to edit any personal attacks on other posters or personally attacking comments about groups of posters. If any person continues these personal attacks repeatedly after being here warned, it may be necessary to ban them for flaming and trolling.

Warning,

Tim