Event chart for giving up an addiction

Neptune Rising

Hi there :)

This may sound strange, I am trying to find a good time to give up smoking, was hoping to use astrology to give me the best possible chance - I've tried most other affordable things, patches give me the weirdest dreams. Gave up for just over a year but started again recently.

I thought, perhaps a chart where the Moon makes a trine to the ruler of the 12th house? Or the chart ruler makes a trine to 12th house ruler.

Would an opposition of Moon/chart ruler to the 12th house give a seperation from the addiction?

Anyway thank you so much if anyone can give any help with this!

NR

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
This may sound strange, I am trying to find a good time to give up smoking, was hoping to use astrology to give me the best possible chance

Not strange at all. people do it all the time.

Though, I have to say, if you're going to do electional astrology, do it right. None of this watered-down Luna-centric stuff. :p ;)

The first house and its lord is you and your health. The Twelfth is the smoking. We want the First house to be more powerful than the Twelfth, this ensures that you have the willpower to stop smoking, so that the addiction doesn't overpower you. The separating aspect between the Moon and the Twelfth house lord is good, but make sure the Twelfth house lord won't aspect the First house or the First house Lord. That should be all. :)

Neptune Rising

Thank you so much Kaiousei!

So ideally a Venus in Aries ruling the 12th and an ascendant ruler of Mercury in Aquarius might be good (if it was possible)?

Or maybe ascendant ruler of Moon in Cancer and 12th ruler of Mercury in Capricorn.

I won't worry so much about the Lunar aspects though, tricky enough! :p

NR

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Yeah, that could work out fine. Just make sure the Moon isn't Void when you start stopping and that her last aspect is a beneficial one to somebody good. This is where the "trickiness" is necessary. ;)

freedomlover

I'm new to event charts, but here are my thoughts on the subject:

Wouldn't Venus in Aries (inner strength and new beginnings) ruling the Ascendant be a good thing? And how about Mercury (ruler of lungs and breathing, I think) ruling the 12th - with a positive connection between the two? Also, how about a trine from Jupiter (blessings and help from the Universe) to the ruler of the 6th. (health and decisions)

If Gemini rules the lungs and breathing, would Moon in Gemini be advantageous or disadvantageous?

Neptune Rising

Hiya Freedomlover, thanks for the tips! :)

I think its Ptolemic dignities that mundane charts use, the same as horary charts use. So Venus in Aries in a mundane or hoaray chart wouldn't be strong because according to Ptolemy, Venus is in detriment in Aries because Venus is in the opposite sign to the sign she rules (Libra), so she looses some of her power.

Interesting though about Mercury ruling the lungs, that may be a good one to use to rule smoking!

Also ideally I'd probably want to make the ascendant ruler as angular as possible, in the 1st, 4th, 7th or 10th houses. And make the 12th/smoking ruler cadent, maybe in the 6th/health.

Ah yes, Moon rules Gemini and Virgo, may be a great idea to use one of those Moons as a timer too.. maybe the Virgo for health as well as lungs? (as well as give me time to prepare;) )

Thanks so much, that's great food for thought! :)

NR

Last edited:

rogue_red

Can I ask a silly question too.:eek:

When using electional astrology like this is any reference to the natal chart used? I was just wondering whether you would look at how the event chart aspects or affects natal positions/planets.

Thanks

Rogue red

P.S I too want to quit smoking:eek:

freedomlover

Hiya Freedomlover, thanks for the tips! :)

I think its Ptolemic dignities that mundane charts use, the same as horary charts use. So Venus in Aries in a mundane or hoaray chart wouldn't be strong because according to Ptolemy, Venus is in detriment in Aries because Venus is in the opposite sign to the sign she rules (Libra), so she looses some of her power.

Interesting though about Mercury ruling the lungs, that may be a good one to use to rule smoking!

Also ideally I'd probably want to make the ascendant ruler as angular as possible, in the 1st, 4th, 7th or 10th houses. And make the 12th/smoking ruler cadent, maybe in the 6th/health.

Ah yes, Moon rules Gemini and Virgo, may be a great idea to use one of those Moons as a timer too.. maybe the Virgo for health as well as lungs? (as well as give me time to prepare;) )

Thanks so much, that's great food for thought! :)

NR

Hey NR!:)

Glad it helped, but some of that wasn't "tips" yet, until I get it confirmed. I was going from memory - been awhile since I read anything on that. Hoping that some others, more well-versed, will confirm or deny.

However, going on my personal thoughts again..... I don't know about Ptolemy, but I would think Venus in Mars sign would be a good thing. I would think it would strengthen Venus' personal willpower, as Mars rules will power. Venus in Libra can be pretty wishy-washy when it comes to decisions. If you didn't use Venus in Aries, then would Mars ruling the ASC be a good choice? That would get the "willpower" in there strongly.

Neptune might also be another choice to use as the sig for the addiction? If so, would you want Mars "overpowering" Neptune in some way?

Now that you mention it, personally, I think a Virgo Moon would be an excellent choice. Virgo is also ruled by Mercury - but has more to do with our "internal self-talk", and our "mind-body" connection. Gemini has more to do with the communication between self and others. Not to mention that Virgo rules health, purity, and establishing new habits.

Again, I'm asking to learn and get feedback, as I'm very, very new to event charts. But this is just the way I would look at it - for your consideration.

FL

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
FreedomLover said:
And how about Mercury (ruler of lungs and breathing, I think) ruling the 12th - with a positive connection between the two?

Election overload! We just want her to quit smoking, we'll worry about picking up the pieces of her shattered respiratory system later. ;)

Right on the Angular and Cadent. The problem with this is that we have to pick which house to put the addiction lord in. Personally, I'd go for the Third if it's a nocturnal planet in a day chart or a diurnal planet in a night chart and the Ninth if it's a nocturnal planet in a night chart or a diurnal planet in a day chart.

rogue_red said:
When using electional astrology like this is any reference to the natal chart used? I was just wondering whether you would look at how the event chart aspects or affects natal positions/planets.

Correct, you should consider it. I didn't get to talk about this due to my rushed state, but make sure that your natal Twelfth house lord isn't getting away with murder in the electional chart. ;)

I don't know about Ptolemy, but I would think Venus in Mars sign would be a good thing. I would think it would strengthen Venus' personal willpower, as Mars rules will power.

Or it could kill her chances by making her willpower too weak to stave off the nagging feeling of "smoke, smoke, smoke". I understand what you're trying to do, but the strength of the planets is more literal in electional astrology than it is psycholoigcally metaphorical when following modern psychological stuff.

rogue_red

Kai, you know how you are my favoritist person ever, well, if i post my chart with transits can you have a look and tell me if the current transits i am having are gunna get in the way or will they help. Pwettyyyy Pweaseeee

Rogue

Note to self: Online baby talk is sooo not cool:29:

freedomlover

KNS,

Originally Posted by FreedomLover
And how about Mercury (ruler of lungs and breathing, I think) ruling the 12th - with a positive connection between the two?

Election overload! We just want her to quit smoking, we'll worry about picking up the pieces of her shattered respiratory system later. ;)
How so? I was just stating that Mercury rules the lungs/respiratory system, so it could be a good indicator of a smoking addiction, being placed in the 12th - or that is my line of reasoning. How does this have to do with "picking up pieces of her shattered respiratory system???
I don't know about Ptolemy, but I would think Venus in Mars sign would be a good thing. I would think it would strengthen Venus' personal willpower, as Mars rules will power.

Or it could kill her chances by making her willpower too weak to stave off the nagging feeling of "smoke, smoke, smoke". I understand what you're trying to do, but the strength of the planets is more literal in electional astrology than it is psycholoigcally metaphorical when following modern psychological stuff.
Are you saying that Mars would weaken Venus' will power??? I still see it as Venus having lots of "Mars energy" in Aries. What about my comment about Mars as Ascendant Lord, then?

I'm going to ignore the remarks about the psychological stuff. If I remember correctly, you have a disdain for modern psychological astrology. :p

FL

waybread

Neptune Rising, I would sure look to Saturn, either natally or in transit or progressed planets in aspect to it.

Neptune rules addictions, Saturn rules doing what is Good For You, or doing what you know you should do, even if it is just a bearcat to achieve. He is Dr. Reality-Check.

rogue_red

waybread said:
Neptune Rising, I would sure look to Saturn, either natally or in transit or progressed planets in aspect to it.

Neptune rules addictions, Saturn rules doing what is Good For You, or doing what you know you should do, even if it is just a bearcat to achieve. He is Dr. Reality-Check.

So does this mean a neptune square is a good time to quit smoking? I have transiting saturn in my 6th atm conj natal pluto in virgo but pluto is also conj uranus in 6th (opp asc), T sat is kinda bouncing back and forth between the two. Also saturn is ruler of my 12th (aquarius).
So much to consider...my heads gonna pop:eek:

Joseph Ledzion

Looking at Bill W's clean date, the founder of Alcoholics Anonymous, we see that transiting Saturn crossed his Jupiter by conjunction, and then later activated a powerful Mercury / Uranus conjunction. He then founded AA and it has helped millions of people stay sober.

As a side note, the 12 steps actually came from an Edgar Cayce akashic records reading.

Saturn is very much involved in everything relating to sobering. Saturn is the key.

But also, the 12th and 6th houses are shown to be very much involved in the process of healing, and having the Sun and Jupiter in the 12th (which is possible at this time) is probably the most positive indication you could have, with Pisces Rising. That would create safety in the house of addictions.

The charts of people who are getting sober, entering rehab, or are forced to stop because of court often reveal strong 12th house, as you positively indentified.

Whether it lasts depends on Saturn, and how one uses their time. Saturn in the 6th is excellent.

Using the Hellenistic Lots is very favorable. Lots act as Secondary Ascendants.

Personally, another thing to consider is the upcoming Venus Retrograde. Right now we are in the shadow of her station Direct in April.

Also, when we dream about smoking, often it has to do with feeling luxurious, in terms of ego.

Again, the rulers of the 6th house need to be very strong, because this is where the consideration of moment to moment living is dealt with, whether we are content or not content with our actions such as waking up, making breakfast, doing this, doing that -- how we constructively use time as we go about our day.

Good luck!

Joseph Ledzion

Last edited:

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Kai, you know how you are my favoritist person ever, well, if i post my chart with transits can you have a look and tell me if the current transits i am having are gunna get in the way or will they help.

Uh-huh...sure. We'll just get an electional for you. Oh wait! If I did that I'd have to do it for EVERYBODY!! :p Yeah, I'll help you.

How so? I was just stating that Mercury rules the lungs/respiratory system, so it could be a good indicator of a smoking addiction, being placed in the 12th - or that is my line of reasoning. How does this have to do with "picking up pieces of her shattered respiratory system???

Well, perhaps we got our wires crossed a bit there, but I just think doing anything more than her planet being stronger than the addiction's planet is a bit too much. I thought you were more pushing for Mercury's inclusion in trying to heal her lungs, which is where my comment came from.

Are you saying that Mars would weaken Venus' will power??? I still see it as Venus having lots of "Mars energy" in Aries. What about my comment about Mars as Ascendant Lord, then?

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm saying. Venus being in a Sign she is averted to will hurt her. Mars as Ascendant lord probably wouldn't be useful for awhile, since he's peregrine in Aquarius.

So does this mean a neptune square is a good time to quit smoking?

Not if Saturn is as weak as he is in Virgo. Stronger Saturn helps you out. Weaker Saturn kicks your ***.

rogue_red

thanks kai, here is my natal with current trans. Can you give me an idea of what to avoid and what to look for please. Thanking you:)
trans.gif

Rogue

freedomlover

Well, perhaps we got our wires crossed a bit there, but I just think doing anything more than her planet being stronger than the addiction's planet is a bit too much. I thought you were more pushing for Mercury's inclusion in trying to heal her lungs, which is where my comment came from.
Naw, that's what I was aiming at, too - trying to get the ruler of Ascendant stronger than the sig for the addiction. So, as an event chart newbie here, would Mercury in 12th be a good sig for addiction?

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm saying. Venus being in a Sign she is averted to will hurt her. Mars as Ascendant lord probably wouldn't be useful for awhile, since he's peregrine in Aquarius.
Ah, peregrine - I need to study those terms. Yes, I see what you mean. I guess Mars in Pisces would be even less help.:( If she wanted to wait a couple or three months - Mars in Aries as ruler of ASC would be good, no? That should put a few planets in Gemini by that time, too.
So does this mean a neptune square is a good time to quit smoking?
Not if Saturn is as weak as he is in Virgo. Stronger Saturn helps you out. Weaker Saturn kicks your ***.
That's odd - I understand about Saturn being considered weak in Virgo - but I would have thought Saturn in Virgo would be a good taskmaster enforcing good health.:confused: I, too, would have thought a Square from Saturn to Neptune would be a good indicator of quitting smoking.

Saturn is very much involved in everything relating to sobering. Saturn is the key.
Yes, very true - discipline, longevity, determination, self-respect, etc. But you want the good side of Saturn - not the overbearing side. That side of Saturn can make addictions that much worse.
Again, the rulers of the 6th house need to be very strong, because this is where the consideration of moment to moment living is dealt with, whether we are content or not content with our actions such as waking up, making breakfast, doing this, doing that -- how we constructively use time as we go about our day.
Yes, if Saturn is going to be in there, making sure you keep your commitment - you want to make sure you have some positive reinforcements. Hence my suggestion of having Jupiter trining the ruler of the 6th. ( maybe even better if Jup was in 9th or 12th?) ( but then again, every planet has a down side - would Jupiter trine make it "too much work"?) So, what would be considered a strong ruler for the 6th?

TO: Neptune Rising

I agree with JosephLedzion - if you feel the urge to quit - then quit. If it is truly your intuition leading you, then it will be in tandem with compatible astrological placements anyway.

One other thought: One of the biggest factors in quitting an addiction is understanding what is fueling it - in your unique case. Smoking addiction can have any number of root causes driving it. If you know what the psychological factor is, you know more what you are going to have to change to remedy the situation.

Have you considered doing a horary as to why you smoke? ( Had to get the psychological factor in there, Kai;)) I did ask that horary question when the idea came to me. So, if you would want to use that, I asked: Why does she smoke? at 11:15pm on 2-04-09 in Summersville, WV, USA. -- or you could ask it again yourself. That would probably be a separate thread, though.)

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Rogue, I'm not sure how to read that chart. It looks like a transit chart, but I'm not sure what your natal planets are to be able to tell anything about it. :S Maybe I'm just blind.

I guess Mars in Pisces would be even less help

Mars in Pisces wouldn't be all bad. Triplicity by night according to Dorotheus, and all the time according to Lilly. Some dignity at least. Mars in Aries would be preferable, though.

I wouldn't worry about the Sixth house, and reinforcing it would probably only cause more harm than good anyway. Pretty much what you should be concerned with is

1. First house lord must be strong or at least stronger than the Twelfth house lord.
2. Twelfth house lord must be properly dealt with. Put into a weakened house and in a weakened state essentially.
3. Moon's last aspect should be a positive one to a benefic.
4. Natal Twelfth house lord must be incapacitate.
5. Keep planets OUT of the Twelfth house.

Um...I think that's it. Did I leave anything out?