Most elevated planet, how does yours directly benefit you?

MSO

My most elevated planet is a retrograde Mars in Aries and the MC is also in Aries... :-\

RETROGRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADE

Rebel Uranian

I'm not sure retrograde means what people think it means.

There are a lot of elevated Mars and Jupiter people. Maybe they're the only planets that give enough confidence to get on an astrology site in the first place.

(I made another post before this one with no replies and this post does not void that post)

Rebel Uranian

Someone once said something about someone once saying that people with the NN direct (retrograde for the retrograde NN) are nonconformist. Maybe retro makes you a nonconformist.

Everyone's most elevated planet seems pretty noticeable to me. The fact that mine happens to rule my MC is even worse. Is that anything like a domicile?

Hmm, I wonder if this has more to do with other people's image of us than the Ascendant...

Really depends on how strong it is,too. If it is well placed and aspected as well as being the most elevated... NOW we're talking about a powerful influence. People will still see your ascendant, and that will also describe your moment of birth and how you start things...but that strong, elevated planet will be extremely noticable and maybe even usurp the asc influence on personality.

I think any association with the mc (i.e. rulership or conjunction or otherwise) will be significant...not sure how to describe it, maybe someone would like to have a go?

Last edited:

Blackempress

Interesting discussion - I'm a latecomer too :tongue:

I have Uranus in Sagittarius (10th house) exactly conjunct my MC, and I'm not sure if "benefits" is the right word to describe Uranus in my life!

I don't honestly know how to understand this aspect (though I've read the online descriptions). I guess I'm stubbornly independent, and especially when it comes to career choices, to the point that I'm not sure what choice to make next to fit with my needs...

I'm still waiting for the benefits, maybe they will come in the form of a wonderful and sudden new direction in my life (?)

I got the same. Neptune n Uranus in 10 with sag MC in some house systems while 9th Uranus if placidus. Am looking for a direction of some sort too but no clear idea. Would love to see how other ppl with these aspects turn out.

M

may28gemini

my most elevated planet is mercury as it conjuncts my mc and is in domicile gemini at critical degree of 29. for the most part, people often automatically assign that i'm really smart and place a lot of confidence in my abilities. that's really beneficial because i heavily rely on my mercury to earn a living. i'm a content writer and do pr/marketing.

Onion

I believe that Mercury would be the most elevated planet in my chart. It's in the 10th house, one degree past the MC.

I can definitely see how this has a big impact on my personality. I tend to be overly analytical and think way too much. I obsess over details, spend way too much time reading online, and have extreme difficulty staying focused on one thing for too long. I'm also diagnosed with ADD, a questionable disorder, but a seemingly mercurial one nonetheless.

Claire19

I dont see how Leo and Virgo planets make you selfish really. Leo can be ego centred and they are meant to express themselves creatively and Virgo is the sign of service to others and is more modest and unassuming.

Jupiter is the planet of opportunity, optimism which brings about what is called "luck" but really there is no such thing.

Claire19

I believe that Mercury would be the most elevated planet in my chart. It's in the 10th house, one degree past the MC.

I can definitely see how this has a big impact on my personality. I tend to be overly analytical and think way too much. I obsess over details, spend way too much time reading online, and have extreme difficulty staying focused on one thing for too long. I'm also diagnosed with ADD, a questionable disorder, but a seemingly mercurial one nonetheless.
ADD would show with your rising sign, 1st house and the 6th house as well and if Mercury shows challenging aspects there and the 3rd house, then maybe you have it. I think it is that you get bored easily and are probably very intelligent. I also agree it is a questionable label to put on anyone. MC deals with your career and vocation along with the 10th house influences and also your father and other authority figures that uphold law and order. IT is also your ambitions and your public life. THis the placement of someone who has more than one career, can move around a lot, study, be involved with sales and communications of all kinds.

greybeard

The elevated planet in a chart should occupy the Tenth House, or Ninth. It should be close to the Midheaven (I generally call a planet "elevated" when it is anywhere in the 10th, or within 15 degrees of the MC in the 9th. I take a rather flexible approach in this, but that is the general rule I follow.

The elevated planet is that planet closest to the MC. The MC is the highest point a planet can reach in the sky. In the 10th House it is still ascending, thus gaining in power. In the 9th House it is descending and waning in power.

There is a second classification called "most elevated planet." The planet does not meet the criteria above and so is not "elevated." But among all other planets it is the highest in the sky. This is not a dignity as in true "elevation." But it does give a certain additional power and importance to the planet.

Another use of elevation is when comparing two planets, usually two in aspect. That one which is higher in the sky tends to be dominant over the one lower. Other things such as dignity/debility, whether sign occupied is commanding/obedient, direct/retrograde, etc. also influence this judgment of relative power.

But the dignity of "elevated planet" should be reserved to a planet in the 10th or 9th House, and proximity to the MC is definitely a factor. If a planet is thus elevated, we can say that "it stands above all else."

My MC is at 27 Pisces. Mercury, in the 8th and near the 9th cusp is at 24 Aquarius. The arc distance is 33 degrees. This means that Mercury does not qualify as "elevated," but no other planet is closer to the MC, so Mercury is the "most elevated planet." This condition is not a dignity, but does enter into judgment of relative strength compared to another planet in aspect to Mercury.

Mercury is square Saturn at 22 Taurus. Saturn is then at 55 degrees from the MC. So Mercury, being more elevated, is granted dominance over Saturn on that basis. But Mercury is in the sign of Saturn (Aquarius) and rulership outweighs this type of elevation. Saturn disposes Mercury and is therefore the more powerful of the two. Also Saturn is in the east and ascending, while Mercury is west and descending. Also, in judging this relative power, it is important to note which of the two planets is applying, which separating. And other factors enter into the equation.

The Ram

But Mercury is really strong (some say exalted) in Aquarius, wouldn't that along with it's elevation pretty much balance out the Saturn rulership? Even if you just think it's strongly placed?

Anywhoo, mine is also Mercury but in Aries where it's strongly placed, in the 9nth, about 24 degrees away from my 10th house. It's ruler Gemini is half of my 10th house (which begins in Taurus) and contains my North node (Exalted sign and rulership house position) YAY! Heh. That along with Mercs trine to my natal south node/Uranus/moon make it a very strong planet for me despite the fact that it qunincunxes Saturn fairly tight and squares Jupiter.

greybeard

Gemini rules nothing. Signs rule nothing.
Planets rule signs.
Not the other way round.
We would say "Gemini is on the 11th", rather than "It's ruler Gemini is half of my 10th house (which begins in Taurus)".
The ruler of the 11th house is Mercury.
Why is Aries a "strong placement" for Mercury? What is the condition of Mars, lord of Mercury?

I am not so sure a trine from Mercury to a Moon-Uranus conjunction is such a happy affair. It depends, but Moon-Uranus conjunct can produce some rather aberrant thinking, emotional unteadiness...

Now. Saturn rules Aquarius. Mercury is strong in Aquarius, perhaps Exalted (I hold to Virgo as Mercury's exaltation). But....does Saturn dispose Mercury, or does Mercury dispose Saturn?

I might allow Mercury as Elevated at 24 degrees from MC, depending on the chart. But probably would just give it "most elevated planet."

tsmall

Premium Member
But Mercury is really strong (some say exalted) in Aquarius,

I don't get this. Why would Mercury be exalted in Aquarius? Aquarius is the domicile of Saturn and the detriment of the Sun. No planet exalts where the Sun is in detriment. Mercury is the triplicity ruler of Aquarius if it's a night chart.

Anywhoo, mine is also Mercury but in Aries where it's strongly placed, in the 9nth, about 24 degrees away from my 10th house. It's ruler Gemini is half of my 10th house (which begins in Taurus) and contains my North node (Exalted sign and rulership house position) YAY! Heh. That along with Mercs trine to my natal south node/Uranus/moon make it a very strong planet for me despite the fact that it qunincunxes Saturn fairly tight and squares Jupiter.

Your Mercury may be the closest planet to the MC, but it's cadent. In order to really evaluate your Mercury you would need to look at his ruler, Mars.