Chart for a Dog

!4C

Anyone want to take a stab at this dog's personality?

picture.php

!4C

[deleted non-astrological interpretation post - Moderator]

Ironically, he doesn't bark much at all. He doesn't even bark when strangers show up on his turf. He will bark if you coax him with food. Also, he doesn't need any blankets because he is an Alaskan Malamute. He is always seeking cooler places.

katydid said:
Unpredictable? Super energetic but quirky?
Bingo! He is very unpredictable and quirky, but isn't very energetic without the motivation for food. First, he has an aquarius rising. Second, he has the sun-moon square that creates a jeykll-hyde situation. His conscious mind (sun) is in direct conflict with his animal instincts (moon). If the sun-moon square wasn't bad enough, there is the confusion of neptune added to the mix through the t-square.

Given his unpredictability and 155 lb. size, it makes him risky around children, other animals, and strangers that aren't cautious. He has bitten all the aforementioned for various provocations. He's my brother's dog, and even he has been bitten multiple times while trying to discipline him for food aggression. Any loyalties from scorpio sun can lose out to the "me first" instincts of the leo moon. This is especially true with food. The loyalty ends where the food begins. Some of this is typical of his breed, but he is on the extreme end.

He is by far the most moody dog I've ever seen and the difficulty in reading his mood is part of the problem. Usually, he doesn't bark or wag his tail. A tail curl, typical of malamutes, and/or panting are good signs, but most of the time he is completely expressionless. This is especially true when around people he is unsure of. Growling is his predominant vocal response. He growls when he is happy; he growls when he is in a bad mood. He often growls in response to petting with doggy speak, which only sends mixed messages. I'm a scorpio and even I have difficulty reading him. It's best to just give him space until you know for sure that he isn't having a bad day. You'd be surprised by the number of people that will run up to him and try to give hug with out knowing his temperament. He is pretty dog, so I guess it shows that people primarily judge temperament by aesthetics.

david starling said:
(Whole-sign) Wants the run of the house, and very protective. Has good information to provide, if you pay careful attention.
I suppose the fist part is true. He doesn't like restrictions and resists human authority. His information isn't very reliable though. As indicated by the t-square involving neptune and scorpio moon, he frequently imagines things that don't exist and anticipates events that don't happen. If he is alone and hears a noise from behind, he will ignore it at first. A couple minutes later he will lunge forward and turn around quickly as if something was sneaking up from behind. I've seen this a couple of times. He also likes to stalk nonexistent prey in anticipation that it will be there. Only a few minutes later he might go back to the same spot with anticipation that it might be there this time! As you can imagine, people like to play tricks on him once they know he has this susceptibility.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lin

He's moody and suspicious of those he doesn't know. But if he like you he will be really loving and trusting. There will be people he will like more than you do.
He doesn't like being alone and is very sociable if introduced to others in the right way.
He has a favorite spot to sleep or relax. He is very territorial.
He may like to go on adventures but will like the destination more as he goes back to it.

He needs to "get used" to new routines. He doesn't like the unexpected.

He can have digestive troubles if given foods he isn't used to....even people food.
LIN

!4C

He's moody and suspicious of those he doesn't know.
Yes, that has been established. He fits the scorpio stereotype very well.

He doesn't like being alone and is very sociable if introduced to others in the right way.
Yes, but I'm not sure if it a loneliness issue or other reasons he doesn't like to be left behind. My brother set up a camera to see what he does when they are gone. He definitely behaves anxiously. It is the only time he howls. What in his chart indicates this? Leo moon in the 7th? It is odd to think that a dog that projects so much scorpio energy can't handle being alone.

He can have digestive troubles if given foods he isn't used to....even people food.
Yes. He kept gaining weight, so they put him on some kind of diet with vegetables. He had bad reaction to veggies, so they had to take him off it. Actually, he has a lot of sensitivity issues. At certain times of year he has bad skin reactions to certain outdoor allergens. One time his gums swelled up for some unknown reason. He has been on steroids quite a few times. Unfortunately, it made him even more aggressive. He has more minor health issues than any dog I know. What in the chart indicates this? Afflicted moon is ruler of the 6th? Aquarius is ruler of the ascendant?

Lin

Moon-Neptune in a t-square with the Sun represents almost all his issues.

There may be something he is allergic to that he either breathes or eats.

He doesn't like being alone because he is afraid. Steroids are a bad idea. There are some very good dog foods specially made for dogs with sensitivities. I know this because we had a dog with this issue and even tho it took about a week before she got used to it, she got used to it and eventually loved it.

There are several of these. A good pet food supplier will be able to help you with that. They see this stuff all the time.

Going back to the t-square, notice that MARS, out of sign, is conjunct the moon.

How old was he when you got him? Where did your brother get him? Someone who's dog had puppies or a pet store or a rescue? He might have been mistreated as a pup or....ignored.
One thing about big dogs: then need a LOT of exercise. All their energy that doesn't get used up goes into stress. They need to run and also to see other animals and people.
LIN
PS: dogs that are living outside their original environment (like Huskies and Malamutes) often have odd health issues because their nature is to be outside, cool, and in motion most of the time.

Last edited:

!4C

Moon-Neptune in a t-square with the Sun represents almost all his issues.
Going back to the t-square, notice that MARS, out of sign, is conjunct the moon.
I agree.

How old was he when you got him? Where did your brother get him? Someone who's dog had puppies or a pet store or a rescue? He might have been mistreated as a pup or....ignored.
My brother got him from a breeder. That is how I know his birth time.

PS: dogs that are living outside their original environment (like Huskies and Malamutes) often have odd health issues because their nature is to be outside, cool, and in motion most of the time.
Yes. My brother is a leo. He had to have a dog that looked like a wolf. Unfortunately, Huskies and Malamutes are close enough to wolves that they retain some of the instincts. I think he knows now that it was a bad choice for a number of reasons. They've postponed having children because of him.

I think it also is an issue of mate selection. Lately, breeders have been accused of not mixing up the gene pool enough to prevent diseases. The breeder mentioned that his father would often blackout and fall over from not breathing properly while scarfing his food. This dog inhales his food and then turns aggressive in pursuit for more. It would be interesting to see how the rest of the litter turned out.

!4C

Super energetic
Maybe you got that from the grand trine between pluto, jupiter and mars? While he doesn't have much energy compared to most dogs, I think the grand trine has contributed to confidence in his ability to overpower anything in his environment. He frequently challenges human authority. He has to dominate all other dogs in his environment, which usually means he starts fights. Even when he is in playful mood he will eventually get aggressive to the point where he uses his teeth and body mass to tackle people. He definitely likes throwing his weight around, both figuratively and literally.

!4C

I should also mention the time I got bit. It is a good example of how synastry and transits work together.

It happened at a family gather on October 3, 2014. One of his treats fell in a crack near the door. He kept licking the crack until it was completely saturated with saliva, so I went over to get it out for him. I pulled him back so I could get at it. He seemed OK with it. Up to this point he had never bit anyone, so I trusted him. Someone else came over to see what was going on and he flipped out. Apparently, he was stressed about someone taking it away and two threats were too much. Luckily he didn't do much damage. I only had 2 puncture holes, a swollen gland under my arm pit, and lots of bruising around my upper arm and side.

My sun is at 29º08' scorpio and his is at 26º00' scorpio. Mars was at 27º46' scorpio and was conjunct transiting north node. The moon was approaching a conjunction with the transiting south node.