Applying/Separating Aspects

magnolia8

My understandings: applying means that the aspect grows stronger with time, or will at least remain prominent throughout the native's life. As best as I can understand, it is because applying aspects are nearing exactness in progression.

Separating aspects are the opposite - their influence lessens with age as the planets grow further apart.

What I don't get it is this: as far as applying aspects, once the planets have become exact, wouldn't their influence also begin to decrease as they move away from each other?

IleneK

Premium Member
My understandings: applying means that the aspect grows stronger with time, or will at least remain prominent throughout the native's life. As best as I can understand, it is because applying aspects are nearing exactness in progression.

Separating aspects are the opposite - their influence lessens with age as the planets grow further apart.

What I don't get it is this: as far as applying aspects, once the planets have become exact, wouldn't their influence also begin to decrease as they move away from each other?

Yes, when a planet begins to separate by transit or progression after perfecting an aspect, it's influence does decrease.

IleneK

Premium Member
Then why does it matter whether aspects are applying or separating since they'll lose influence with time?

What matters most is what is going on in the present moment.
The natal chart tells you the forces of the aspects when you are born. Then you can follow their effect in your life as they move by progression. The general rul eis that if an aspect is applying, if one planet is approaching another planet, it will have more influence in its approach to that planet than when it is separating from it. That is just about the gist of it.

petosiris

Banned

That separating aspects are weaker or indicate past events is from the late Hellenistic times and used extensively in both modern and horary branches of astrology.

I am not sure they were a real thing originally with whole sign aspects though. I think there was no distinction between them. What you say is certainly logical and makes sense.

If Mars is at 10° Libra and the Sun just moved at 10° 1'' Aries I really do not see that opposition as any weaker than it was a minute ago.