Alpha & Beta Males

Sagcap88

What placements/aspects in a natal chart might indicator if a man is an Alpha Male or Beta Male?

I’m guessing strong Mars placements/aspects might help indicate an Alpha.

Anyone have any ideas?

conspiracy theorist

Higher testosterone levels has been linked to social success, and not an increase in aggressive behaviour. So someone who seems to be more trigger happy when it comes to anger might be less dominant from a hormonal perspective. It's been demonstrated in chimpanzee troops that the most consistent alphas were those who were more socially conscious i.e. those who ruled through alliances and the care of the women and children in the tribe. Those who ruled by force were short-lived, being more likely to get taken out by bands of disgruntled males who are dissatisfied with the leadership and have no trouble cracking the skull of a tyrannical *******.

Although I find the terms alpha and beta males limiting and a testament to the short-sightedness of modern day mass thinking, a chart would be characterized as alpha if it had the combination of indicating social ease/competence, coupled with an indication for a "strong frame" - which means that a person is completely invested, comfortable and confident in their own individual world-view and will not compromise that for anyone or anything. In other words, a strong sense of self.

So astrologically, an over-active Mars might mean someone inclined to overactive fight or flight responses, which raises cortisol levels with chronically high cortisol levels mirroring low testosterone symptoms such as lower libido and depression. I'd rather see a strong ascendant ruler, maybe a fixed sign preponderance, placements that engender emotional resilience or a strong sense of self - a strong sun for example. A myriad of placements and signs can coalesce into a chart where the individual is a force to be reckoned with - an "alpha". Here are some examples of alpha males - you can look at their charts and see why they might have been able to have the effect they did in their environment.

https://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Flynn,_Errol
https://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Lee,_Bruce
https://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Luciano,_Lucky
https://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Putin,_Vladimir

What do you notice about these charts?

Blaze

Account Closed
While Mars may be an important factor, the ascendant lord is what I'd look at. Drivers seat of our charts plays a major role in how we act in the world. Would be neat to have some charts to study.

Sagcap88

While Mars may be an important factor, the ascendant lord is what I'd look at. Drivers seat of our charts plays a major role in how we act in the world. Would be neat to have some charts to study.

Trump is for sure an alpha, as is Putin. Ted Nugent and Gene Simmons are probably alphas. Also, Hunter S. Thompson, Johnny Cash, James Bond (obv fictional), Kurt Russell, Clint Eastwood, Mike Cernovich, General Patton, Winston Churchill...

Last edited:

Sagcap88

But yeah, also as far as the signs associated with Alpha male, I’d go with Cancer (many of the male ones I’ve known are very alpha), Leo, Aries, and Capricorn. Taurus, too. Sometimes Scorpio.

Beta signs are probably more Pisces, Virgo, Libra.

Just a theory.

Ukpoohbear

Ive known Aries Sun alphas.

Ive seen a Taurus Sun alpha, although having a unique and loud personality is not necessarily alpha.

Ive known a Gemini Sun alpha, in both male and female, both had a lot of Scorpio too, which I think is one of the more common alpha signs.

Ive known a Cancer Sun alpha before, although I don't think its that common.

Ive known plenty Leo Sun alphas.

Ive never met a Virgo Sun alpha or someone known to have Virgo in their chart, so agree with that being beta.

Ive not known any Sagittarius Sun alphas but plenty Sag Mars alphas.

Ive not really known a Capricorn alphas.

Ive known a really cool Aquarius Sun alpha. They had a Leo Moon conjunct Jupiter.

Ive not known any Pisces Sun alphas.

That's my list of known alphas which I tried to keep to Sun signs unless other placements were known. There will be variables in making an un alpha Sun into an alpha by having a strong Mars, like in the Libra Sun Sag Mars example, so the Libra Sun example doesn't work. So the list wont work. Oh well.

Sagcap88

Ive known Aries Sun alphas.

Ive seen a Taurus Sun alpha, although having a unique and loud personality is not necessarily alpha.

Ive known a Gemini Sun alpha, in both male and female, both had a lot of Scorpio too, which I think is one of the more common alpha signs.

Ive known a Cancer Sun alpha before, although I don't think its that common.

Ive known plenty Leo Sun alphas.

Ive never met a Virgo Sun alpha or someone known to have Virgo in their chart, so agree with that being beta.

Ive not known any Sagittarius Sun alphas but plenty Sag Mars alphas.

Ive not really known a Capricorn alphas.

Ive known a really cool Aquarius Sun alpha. They had a Leo Moon conjunct Jupiter.

Ive not known any Pisces Sun alphas.

That's my list of known alphas which I tried to keep to Sun signs unless other placements were known. There will be variables in making an un alpha Sun into an alpha by having a strong Mars, like in the Libra Sun Sag Mars example, so the Libra Sun example doesn't work. So the list wont work. Oh well.

Lol yeah, no Pisces or Virgo alphas. Although, Johnny Cash was a Pisces and IMO an alpha...of course, he had other stuff in his chart. But he’s the only that comes to mind.

Ukpoohbear

Just checked and he is mostly water although that includes a Moon Scorpio which is a good alpha placement.

Venus conjunct Uranus in Aries Square Pluto.

Sun Mercury Mars conjunct. They are in Pisces but the Mars is trine that Moon in Scorpio.

Describes an alpha who leads not by aggression but by being unique and confident.

There will be different categories of Alpha officially in Psychology that will lead by aggression or by being popular.