Talking and singing

This is something that I've been tinkering with since Ray and I did M Jackson's chart a few months back and we were looking at his venus placement to determine his singing style.

I was wondering if this could be done for the talking voice as well. Can you determine through astrology what someone would sound like on the basis of their mercury in their chart? Or is talking voice actually ruled by venus as well (since it is a function of the throat)?

Just wondering.

Arian Maverick

What a fascinating question!

Unfortunately, I often grope for words to describe the quality of one's talking or singing voice with the obvious exception of tonal range. This is quite embarassing since I consider myself to be a talented instrumental musician! :eek:

I believe a musician's preferred style can definitely be found in his or her natal chart, although again, I am unsure where to look. Mercury is the obvious archetype of communication and verbal expression, yet I cannot help but think that others aspects of musicality are represented by other planets. Perhaps an abundance of passion in performances can be attributed to a stellium of planets in Leo or the Leo decanate of Sagittarius or Aries? The latter can be found in my own natal chart, which may describe why I can be quite charismatic on stage without saying a word. Although I have terrible performance anxiety in auditions or other judged performances, I am usually quite comfortable playing in front of a group of people once I overcome my initial nervousness. Of course, this is a beneficial characteristic for any musician to have, although I believe it comes more naturally to fire-type individuals.

Now, this is not the only aspect of performance; there are many others, but alas, I must now leave for band rehearsal and conclude this message.

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

Catatonia

I personally think some things are found and/or interpreted more easily than others. For example, if nothing else, I'd relate this question to the Cardinal effect, Venus, Libra/Taurus connections, good aspects between such planets as those that would suggest personal use of ability such as Merc and/or Jupiter and the like. Certain houses shouldn't be overlooked either, i.e. 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 10th.

I will give you an example from my own chart.

Mercury 3* Scorpio (1st house)
Venus 12* Libra (1st house)
Ascendant 9* Libra (Well, duh, 1st house)
Moon 10* Scorpio (2nd house) - I threw this in because the Moon is one of the traditional significators of women/feminine qualities.

I -do- have a relocation chart that has taken place of my natal chart for over 14 years; however, we all realize that ones' natal chart is the blueprint of themself, so to speak.

Moon conjunct Mercury
Moon semi-sextile Venus
Venus trine Jupiter
Venus conjunct Ascendant

I've sung my entire life. I've never had any professional help of any sort, only some tips from the 1 year I spent in Theatre Guild in my high school years ago ;)

Prominent Venus, even in hard aspect to another planet and/or angle, may very well suggest that talent.

I really, really hope I answered your question somewhat. :)

Arian Maverick

This is quite interesting, as I was discussing yesterday during a short Live Chat session that Venus and its higher octive Neptune are horribly debilitated in my natal chart; Venus is located in my first house in Aries and Neptune is located in my tenth house in Capricorn. However, Venus may be strengthened because it is cazimi...

An Arabian astronomical term applied to the center of the Solar disc. It is employed to describe a planet located within an arc of seventeen minutes (17') of the Sun's longitude: or by some authorities within half a degree of the Sun's center. It is then said to be "in the heart of the Sun." Older authorities considered that this position fortified the planet as much as combustion debilitates it. In his dictionary, James Wilson scoffed at this "silly distinction," saying that a planet so placed "is undoubtedly in the worst state of combustion." Most modern authorities are inclined to agree with him, although the favorable and unfavorable qualities it imparts vary according to the planet involved. v. Combust.

(Nicholas deVore - Encyclopedia of Astrology)

Arian Maverick

yes just wondering. I was quite musically inclined when I was little and headed my school's recorder group. I never got musical training though and a lot of it was just mucking around with instruments at home. However, I still haven't really stuck to anything but always think about taking it up again.

I have recently thought about taking up singing, but God knows why. I am totally tone-deaf. I've never really had the urge to take up singing either until now - t-pluto conj n-venus??

I wonder why I have these urges? I do have practically an unaspected venus but it is in a peregrine sign of sag and in the 9th house. Maybe its my Libra moon? Nothing else in my chart seems to point to an interest and desire to play music apart from maybe earthy 2, 6 and 10th/MC houses.

Otherwise, I was wondering of the actual tone of voice for singing and speaking and how it would affect this.

I mean for example, what would cause a deep voice (Sco/Tau?) in a person and a light voice (Gem??) for singing and speaking? I have as said Venus technically unaspected in Sag- maybe a passionate foreign sounding singing voice? And I have mercury retro in Aqu, opp Sat and squ Ura - does that mean I have an odd quirky voice, that tends to jerk around a bit and be erratic? Or does Mercury only pertain to thought and communication style rather than tone (which might be venus, which if this is the case, I might have a "jolly" sounding voice).

Can astrology determine these things? It seems to have worked for MJ's voice analysis.

Athene

Hm, i have Mercury in Capricorn 3d cj Jupiter and disposed by a Saturn in Scorpio 2d, but my talking voice couldnt be of higher pitch than it actually is :andy:

Nickidan

http://www.articlesbase.com/astrology-articles/singing-talent-in-astrology-4907694.html
This is something that I've been tinkering with since Ray and I did M Jackson's chart a few months back and we were looking at his venus placement to determine his singing style.

I was wondering if this could be done for the talking voice as well. Can you determine through astrology what someone would sound like on the basis of their mercury in their chart? Or is talking voice actually ruled by venus as well (since it is a function of the throat)?

Just wondering.

Nickidan

http://www.articlesbase.com/astrology-articles/singing-talent-in-astrology-4907694.html
What a fascinating question!

Unfortunately, I often grope for words to describe the quality of one's talking or singing voice with the obvious exception of tonal range. This is quite embarassing since I consider myself to be a talented instrumental musician! :eek:

I believe a musician's preferred style can definitely be found in his or her natal chart, although again, I am unsure where to look. Mercury is the obvious archetype of communication and verbal expression, yet I cannot help but think that others aspects of musicality are represented by other planets. Perhaps an abundance of passion in performances can be attributed to a stellium of planets in Leo or the Leo decanate of Sagittarius or Aries? The latter can be found in my own natal chart, which may describe why I can be quite charismatic on stage without saying a word. Although I have terrible performance anxiety in auditions or other judged performances, I am usually quite comfortable playing in front of a group of people once I overcome my initial nervousness. Of course, this is a beneficial characteristic for any musician to have, although I believe it comes more naturally to fire-type individuals.

Now, this is not the only aspect of performance; there are many others, but alas, I must now leave for band rehearsal and conclude this message.

Arian Maverick

Nickidan

I personally think some things are found and/or interpreted more easily than others. For example, if nothing else, I'd relate this question to the Cardinal effect, Venus, Libra/Taurus connections, good aspects between such planets as those that would suggest personal use of ability such as Merc and/or Jupiter and the like. Certain houses shouldn't be overlooked either, i.e. 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 10th.

I will give you an example from my own chart.

Mercury 3* Scorpio (1st house)
Venus 12* Libra (1st house)
Ascendant 9* Libra (Well, duh, 1st house)
Moon 10* Scorpio (2nd house) - I threw this in because the Moon is one of the traditional significators of women/feminine qualities.

I -do- have a relocation chart that has taken place of my natal chart for over 14 years; however, we all realize that ones' natal chart is the blueprint of themself, so to speak.

Moon conjunct Mercury
Moon semi-sextile Venus
Venus trine Jupiter
Venus conjunct Ascendant

I've sung my entire life. I've never had any professional help of any sort, only some tips from the 1 year I spent in Theatre Guild in my high school years ago ;)

Prominent Venus, even in hard aspect to another planet and/or angle, may very well suggest that talent.

I really, really hope I answered your question somewhat. :)

Nickidan