Virtue of being self-absorbed?

AppLeo

The issue for most who consider taxation "stealing" isn't that the government is taking one's money--instead, it's about what the money is being used for by government. So, it's okay for spending on "Food Not Bombs", for some. Whilst others insist on "Bombs Not Food".

Not crazy about my taxes going to corporate welfare, and I think that's a big thing in your country, too.

Okokokok.... 3 things

It is stealing.. You are taking people's money without their consent and spending their money on something that they otherwise don't agree with. It doesn't matter if you voted for a politician as a democracy... Democracies or groups of people shouldn't have control over an individuals personal property or life choices.

Why does the government have to do it for us? Why can't we just do it ourselves? It would be much more efficient. Why can't I give my money from my hands to the poor people's hands. Why does the government have to be a part of it at all? ALSO, if we are doing this out of empathy, I couldn't think of a more colder way than government helping. Government takes money as taxes, by force, and then gives money to the poor. The people that are funding, or helping the poor, aren't even interested or engaged in helping the poor. They are just forced to, or passively pay their taxes. I couldn't think of a more cold and unemotional system of helping the common good.

Lastly, I think simply giving from rich to poor keeps people in poverty. Poor people will always have food and money thrown at them, but they will never learn the skills to move themselves up economically. Haven't we heard of the tragedy of the commons? You may think that, lets say, giving a ton of food to people in Africa is good, but it only prolongs their suffering. It would have been better off if they simply starved to death and stopped future generations coming in. Or if they learned the skills to to move up economically. And the only way for someone to learn skills is if the economy is free with laissez-faire capitalism. The government stays out of the people's way and only enforced propriety rights.

david starling

Just imagined this image of a bunch of CEOs marching around and holding rallies with the slogan, "What do we want? Corporate Welfare! When do we want it? Now!"

david starling

Okokokok.... 3 things

It is stealing.. You are taking people's money without their consent and spending their money on something that they otherwise don't agree with. It doesn't matter if you voted for a politician as a democracy... Democracies or groups of people shouldn't have control over an individuals personal property or life choices.

Why does the government have to do it for us? Why can't we just do it ourselves? It would be much more efficient. Why can't I give my money from my hands to the poor people's hands. Why does the government have to be a part of it at all? ALSO, if we are doing this out of empathy, I couldn't think of a more colder way than government helping. Government takes money as taxes, by force, and then gives money to the poor. The people that are funding, or helping the poor, aren't even interested or engaged in helping the poor. They are just forced to, or passively pay their taxes. I couldn't think of a more cold and unemotional system of helping the common good.

Lastly, I think simply giving from rich to poor keeps people in poverty. Poor people will always have food and money thrown at them, but they will never learn the skills to move themselves up economically. Haven't we heard of the tragedy of the commons? You may think that, lets say, giving a ton of food to people in Africa is good, but it only prolongs their suffering. It would have been better off if they simply starved to death and stopped future generations coming in. Or if they learned the skills to to move up economically. And the only way for someone to learn skills is if the economy is free with laissez-faire capitalism. The government stays out of the people's way and only enforced propriety rights.

It's not stealing if you agree to it. Suppose some taxpayers agreed that they were willing to provide tax dollars for the category "Infrastructure", but not for "Defense". Spending those tax dollars on Infrastructure would not be stealing, because these people believe the government is necessary to get it done right. Whereas spending those tax dollars on military bases and drone strikes against civilian targets would be theft. The only requirement would be that at least one category be chosen for one's taxes to go, which means there would still be theft from those who would have chosen "None of the Above". So, not perfect, but better than it is now.

sadge

th

JUPITERASC

I recognize that this wish
to create a better society,
end all the suffering
of all beings everywhere,
and protect the entire planet
may not seem particularly feasible :smile:

But whether or not
we accomplish such goals in our lifetime,
it is nevertheless deeply meaningful
to cultivate such a vast sense of responsibility,
and the wholehearted wish
to be able to benefit others.
This outlook is so wholesome and noble
that it is worth developing,
regardless of the probability
of actually accomplishing such a vast vision.
17th Karmapa from the book "The Heart Is Noble:
Changing the World from the Inside Out"

20882150_1838527932831903_7968967000435507537_n.jpg

JUPITERASC

Okokokok.... 3 things

nielsbohr1.jpg

nielsbohr1.jpg

congratulations-on-your-lack-of-understanding-anything--e9d55.png

JUPITERASC

Well JupiterASC keeps making me defend my views.
:lol:
BAHA and you know who plato was?
He's the philosopher of whimsical and abstract ideas,
not logic or reason. Aristotle > Plato

Thank you, Oddity. I will check him out. I think economics is fascinating.
I just started reading about Ayn Rand
and just fell in love,

so I haven't really had time to branch out.

Completely false.
Economic wealth has nothing to do with one's spiritual wealth.
There are rich people who are also rich spiritually.
And just because you're poor
doesn't mean you're rich spiritually either.
There are plenty of poor people who are evil.

common_sense_jesus1.jpg