Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > Anything Else... > Chat

Chat For posts that don't have to do with astrological chart interpretation, but they're still important to you. Gossip, show off, hot topic, spiritual thoughts, Sun sign astrological discussions, chit chat: come in and share!

Unread 11-02-2018, 10:27 PM

Re: Virtue of being self-absorbed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynnest View Post
I have never said one should act on ones darker impulses, I said that humanity must own their own shadows and heal them instead of projecting them on others. The idea that we in this world calls good and bad leaders are often symbolically the conscious/shadow sides of the same coin.

Y
Okay. I didn't mean to put words in your mouth. I have not advocated for ignoring one's own shadow or projecting one's weaknesses on other people. I'm advocating for not being selfish. I'm sure it sounds like finger-pointing, but that's what happens when you try to explain your understanding of right and wrong.

Most leaders are part good and part bad as humans, as most of us are, but there are demonstrably bad leaders (i.e. people who suck at leading), and every dictator was one by definition.

Unread 11-02-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchyone View Post
Okay. I didn't mean to put words in your mouth. I have not advocated for ignoring one's own shadow or projecting one's weaknesses on other people. I'm advocating for not being selfish. I'm sure it sounds like finger-pointing, but that's what happens when you try to explain your understanding of right and wrong.

Most leaders are part good and part bad as humans, as most of us are, but there are demonstrably bad leaders (i.e. people who suck at leading), and every dictator was one by definition.
I see a world in which the shadows have been integrated and healed and where humanity is whole again. It is the beginning of the golden age and it is a blessing to be alive.

Y
Unread 11-02-2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
I see a world in which the shadows have been integrated and healed and where humanity is whole again. It is the beginning of the golden age and it is a blessing to be alive.

Y
I admire your optimism and wish I could share it. I don't think humanity was ever whole.

And that's why I'm on the herb.
Unread 11-07-2018, 11:50 PM

I often ask myself if I am unconsciously enforcing beliefs and ideas that I am consciously opposed to that's why I never reprimand younger generations for their seemingly 'selfish' and outlandish proclamations. There's so much to learn from them for they represent what we have nurtured and hated in past generations. The young ones, I believe, are now realizing that they do not want to fight a war/cause as pawns for something they did not create nor want to take part in. Allow them to mature enough and let them heal us.
Unread 11-08-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:

Y

We'll never get another golden age without the golden rule.
The Golden Rule:The principle of treating others as one wishes to be treated. It involves empathizing and perceiving others also as "I" or "self". The Golden Rule will never inspire a Psychopath. Psychopathy is characterized by persistent antisocial behavior, impaired empathy and remorse, and bold, disinhibited, egotistical traits.

Unread 11-08-2018, 10:35 PM

Smile Re: Virtue of being self-absorbed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Fusion View Post
We have to get past "Those who have the gold, rule."
The Following User Says Thank You to david starling For This Useful Post:
Cold Fusion (11-08-2018)
Unread 11-08-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
I believe if you treat yourself as you would like to be treated and you give yourself all of the worlds blessings you can then extend that to others and lift them up as well. Thats why I said that the shadow must be healed before individuals can lift themselves up to that next level.

Y
Unread 11-08-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post

I've been trying to make a dent, I'm not getting much if any help.
The Golden Rule:The principle of treating others as one wishes to be treated. It involves empathizing and perceiving others also as "I" or "self". The Golden Rule will never inspire a Psychopath. Psychopathy is characterized by persistent antisocial behavior, impaired empathy and remorse, and bold, disinhibited, egotistical traits.

Unread 11-08-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
I believe if you treat yourself as you would like to be treated and you give yourself all of the worlds blessings you can then extend that to others and lift them up as well. Thats why I said that the shadow must be healed before individuals can lift themselves up to that next level.

Y

The shadow is really nothing more than narcissism. You can't heal/destroy narcissism with narcissism.

Unread 11-08-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:

So you believe you are more of a ruler sitting there in your back yard with nothing more than your wooden stick than someone who is bathing in the worlds golds and treasures and can buy whatever the hell she wants?

Y
Unread 11-08-2018, 11:01 PM

Quote:
The shadow is really nothing more than narcissism. You can't heal/destroy narcissism with narcissism.
No, narcissism is the polarity that is out there to show people that they need to be less self less and to start taking themselves more seriously.

Y
Unread 11-08-2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
So you believe you are more of a ruler sitting there in your back yard with nothing more than your wooden stick than someone who is bathing in the worlds golds and treasures and can buy whatever the hell she wants?

Y
Functional anarchy, no rulers.
Unread 11-08-2018, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Functional anarchy, no rulers.
How is functional anarchy going to work out if everyone is acting like fools?

Y
Unread 11-09-2018, 01:11 AM

Fools can elect a fool for a leader.

Unread 11-09-2018, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Fools can elect a fool for a leader.
What if there are only leaders for fools?

Y
Unread 11-09-2018, 02:38 AM

Quote:
How is functional anarchy going to work out if everyone is acting like fools?

Y
That's exactly what the paradigm shift is all about.
Unread 11-09-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
That's exactly what the paradigm shift is all about.
Yeah, good luck with that.

Y
Unread 11-09-2018, 11:12 AM

It's not luck, it's astrological influence.
Unread 11-09-2018, 11:22 AM

Its like you believe things are faithed, they are not. If fools continue to choose to be fools then thats what they are going to continue to be, regardless of which astrological age where are in.

Y
Unread 11-09-2018, 06:52 PM

The people who whine and complain about how selfish everyone is are actually the people who are selfish. Selfish people want people to be selfless so that they can take advantage of their "good" natures.

Selfish people who just mind their business and ask no one to be selfless for them are the truly virtuous people. You do your thing and I'll do mine. Your problems are your problems and my problems are my problems.

Focus on your life and I'll focus on mine. Cuz truthfully we could care less about each other's lives unless we had some kind of commonality or interest in each other.

Live and let live bitches

Last edited by AppLeo; 11-09-2018 at 06:56 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to AppLeo For This Useful Post:
CauCau26 (11-11-2018)
Unread 11-09-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CauCau26 View Post
Putting my two cents in: I believe being selfish is quite...therapeutic. In a culture where people are being constantly...'encouraged'...to put others first. It's quite draining. Being selfless also entails the notion that whatever is yours is also theirs. People dump their problems on you like how parents dump their unfulfilled dreams and frustrations on their children and expect you to fulfill or fix them. It's like sharing toothbrush or something equally unsavory. I was born and raised in an Asian country and you Western or European folks will certainly balk at how weak boundaries are defined here. A passing acquaintance (even those who are just familiar in the face) are entitled to know where you work or how much money you make, etc. and when you don't tell them anything, you're rude or snobbish like those people from the capital. They'll gossip about you either way so its always imperative to just sidestep them or pretend that you didn't hear them.
What you said is exactly correct and what I'm getting at. You're like one of the only people who understood where I was coming from. Western culture is superior cuz it values individualism.

Quote:
I think you must be very young if you think there is more pressure to be selfless now than they're used to be. I'm shocked on a daily basis by how selfish, callous, and shallow people have become, and even more shocked by the fact that they're not ashamed to say it. The internet is full of memes about how people are not going to take any ****, not going to compromise on anything, not going to listen to anyone, in other words, hell-bent on putting themselves before everyone else, the greater good be damned.
The greater good is a load of crapp. There is no greater good. And anyone who talks about helping the greater good are in it for their own selfish reasons, or arrogant, utopian, visions.

Quote:
The example is a straw man argument. That is not what is asked by people like me who want people to be less selfish. We're addressing the person who did the stabbing, the person who neglects their child to go out and party, the person who cheats others, the person who uses people sexually, the person who dumps work on others, the person who mistreats animals, the person who buys products made by slave labor, the person who would like to kill someone just to see what it feels like, the person who cuts in line, the person who takes all the credit, the child who doesn't appreciate what his parents do for him, the employee who hides when there is work to be done, the citizen who refuses to pay taxes, and on and on.
The people who do those bad things are evil people, not selfish people.

A selfish person would spend money on a sandwich they want to eat.
A selfless person would spend money on a sandwich for someone else.
An evil person would steal a sandwich.
Unread 11-09-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppLeo View Post

What you said is exactly correct and what I'm getting at. You're like one of the only people who understood where I was coming from. Western culture is superior cuz it values individualism.

The greater good is a load of crapp. There is no greater good. And anyone who talks about helping the greater good are in it for their own selfish reasons, or arrogant, utopian, visions.

The people who do those bad things are evil people, not selfish people.

A selfish person would spend money on a sandwich they want to eat.
A selfless person would spend money on a sandwich for someone else.
An evil person would steal a sandwich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppLeo View Post

The people who whine and complain about how selfish everyone is

are actually the people who are selfish.
Selfish people want people to be selfless so that they can take advantage of their "good" natures.

Selfish people who just mind their business and ask no one to be selfless for them
are the truly virtuous people. You do your thing and I'll do mine.

Your problems are your problems and my problems are my problems.

Focus on your life and I'll focus on mine.

Cuz truthfully we could care less about each other's lives unless we had some kind of commonality or interest in each other.

Live and let live bitches
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to JUPITERASC For This Useful Post:
Witchyone (11-10-2018)
Unread 11-09-2018, 07:24 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Unread 11-09-2018, 07:25 PM

Unread 11-09-2018, 09:43 PM