Voyagers move into Interstellar space

ptolomy

I heard some significant news about the Voyager missions on the news in the UK the other day,Nasa announced that The Voyagers are have finally reached the edge of our solar system and are Experiencing turbulence as they move out of the suns bow shock area into inter stellar space,Amazing.http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/

ptolomy

I wonder if the exact moment of their entry into inter stellar space can be known?,This should theoretically be a very significant moment for humanity as this is the 1st time the human race has been into interstellar space(not within our solar system),Albeit its a robotic probe and not a human being(i doubt that a human being will get to this region for many decades,or even centuries) but even so its the nearest we can get to experiencing interstellar space at this moment in time.I would expect something to be happening in the world at the same time that would mirror this occurance in the mundane world that had a 'universal symbolism'.

Nexus7

I would say the most significant thing is that there have been so many discoveries of new planetary bodies in this solar system, and recently, discoveries of planets existing beyond this solar system too,

Mark

I don't think the Voyager probes are in interstellar space. It all depends on where you want to draw the line between the solar system and everything outside it. It seems to me that being in "interstellar space" means that you are in a region of space that is not dominated by the influence of a star (in between stars). The Voyagers have left the dense Kuiper belt, but aren't they still surrounded by the objects in the Oort cloud? If those objects are orbiting our Sun (which they are), then the Voyagers aren't really outside of our Sun's influence yet and won't be for a long time. So, as some draw the solar system, the Voyagers still haven't left home.

The_Saturnian

Besides the discovery of new planets, I wonder if they will be used as medium of communication with extra-terrestrial life (if there is any out there). Would certainly be a breath taking moment to know that we are indeed not the only civilization in the known universe.

ptolomy

Besides the discovery of new planets, I wonder if they will be used as medium of communication with extra-terrestrial life (if there is any out there). Would certainly be a breath taking moment to know that we are indeed not the only civilization in the known universe.

Its interesting that you should say that Saturnian,Because i see the very first moment of a man made device moving into interstellar space as the beginning seeding point of our joining all the other beings in our universe,Maybe this is the moment in time that Aliens etc will slowly begin to reveal themselves to humanity,The planetary configurations of August the 24th At Cape Canaveral?,Or maybe some other significant place in the US that is connected to Voyager 1 and its beginnings. Has anyone got any ideas what should be the Mundane chart for Voyager 1 ?

The_Saturnian

I've always wanted to meet an alien (friendly of course). Not like the ones in AVP. It could well happen as we are now in the Age of Aquarius. A change in Epoch normally would mark the beginning of something new. Perhaps with this Age of Aquarius (Uranus) we may well have now matured to the point whereby the cosmos' other living entities/beings will welcome us and honour our presence. Then again, they may feel threatened and sends masses upon masses of their armies to destroys us. In my opinion Armageddon/Judgement Day is a still a long way away. Guess it will friendly alien contact then... Fingers crossed.