REGULUS, the Regal

aquarius7000

Hi all,

As the traditional saying goes: The ancient man used stars to guide his way, so did traditional and ancient astrologers like Ptolemy, and, even more, Vedic Astrologers. This practice is still quite prevalent, however, I have not (yet) been able to completely convince my 3rd-house Uranus of considering the *stars* when studying charts. This morning though, I felt the urge to search for some information on some commonly-known stars, in particular on *Regulus*, one of the 'four royal stars' and the 'four guardians of the heaven'. Thought I'd share some of my findings with you.

For my part, I have Regulus conjunct my (Leo) Ascendant by about a 4° orb in my chart, and was particularly interested in finding out more about this star. Fortunately, I came across two websites, one of which sheds light on Regulus, in general, whilst the other explains astrological meanings of certain stars at particular degrees, including Regulus on 29° Leo.

Angelfire says:
Regulus at the 29th degree of Leo bestows: Astrological ability, independent and high spirited. Destructiveness, mlitary honors. Power, success and leadership ability. Possible disasterous fall from prominent position.

Constellationofwords mentions:
Regulus was so called by Polish astronomer Copernicus (1473-1543), as a diminutive of the earlier Rex, equivalent to the (Greek) Basiliskos (translated "Little King") of the second-century Greek astronomer Ptolemy. This was from the belief that it ruled the affairs of the heavens,— a belief current, till three centuries ago, from at least 3000 years before our era. Thus, as Sharru, the King, it marked the 15th ecliptic constellation of Babylonia; in India it was Magha, the Mighty;............According to Ptolemy it is of the nature of Mars and Jupiter.....It gives violence, destructiveness, military honor of short duration, with ultimate failure, imprisonment, violent death, success, high and lofty ideals and strength of spirit, and makes its natives magnanimous, grandly liberal, generous, ambitious, fond of power, desirous of command,..... [Robson*, p.195.]
....The importance of this star is accentuated by its nearness to the ecliptic. Its effect is in the best sense that of Jupiter and Mars. On the Ascendant, it will give a courageous and frank character, especially if in conjunction with the Sun, Moon, Jupiter or Mercury. Positioned on the MC, Regulus will raise the native to high positions in life, positions far exceeding the environment the native was born into.

regulus.JPG

courtesy of Constellationofwords

Where do you have REGULUS in your natal chart? If you do not yet know, the 'add fixed stars option' at astro.com could enlighten you on this.

:)aquarius7000

Last edited:

FleetingDasein

Aqua,

Interesting read about Regulus. I'm glad to hear it has a positive side. The star does nothing in my chart but in my boyfriend's chart it is found conjunct the moon and the midheaven. I'm eager to see if the conjunction lives up to its name.

Vallin

I'm a double SKORPION (5:38 am Nov. 21 1961 Washington DC--oh, yeah! Camelot Baby). Regulus is in my Xth house conjunct my IVth ruler Uranus and square my natal Sun.

When I grow up I'm going to be a supernova rock star.

LionKing

About the only thing than behaves as an aspect to that degree in Leo is POF is 30 degrees from it in Cancer. Also Neptune in Scorpio would be as an contrascion to the degree... well it is a 2 degree orb of it. Funny that I have all the nice aspects and not a dollar in the bank. Ha! V/r LionKing:D

RayAustin

Four degrees is more than a little wide.

Fixed stars only have an orb of one degree, or one and a half if you're generous .. so a four degree conjunction to the ascendant doesn't really exist.

Contrasicions and antiscions also have a very limited orb of one degree.

Last edited:

aquarius7000

Four degrees is pretty wide, Aqua.
Yes, perhaps, Midori.

Anyways, the basic purpose of this thread was to share the info I could dig up because unusally I felt a sudden spurt to look for it, and the mention of facts based on my own chart were simply practical points next to the theoretical info.

Funny that I have all the nice aspects and not a dollar in the bank.
Lionking, the dollars perhaps are yet to roll in, you are still young, Mr Leo:D.

Like I said before, I am not really into all this 'starry' business while doing mainstream Natal Astro, except considering them now and then in Horary, but it can never harm to educate yourself and see if practical parallels can be drawn.

:)AQ7

Last edited:

AquariusT

I have always heard that there is no orb to fixed stars. I believe it to be true. However, Isabel Hickey believed herself to be born under the Regulus Star and she was, I think, 28° Leo or so. Her MC was 29° Leo.

Last edited:

LionKing

Aqu7, thank you much for the complement. I really didn't start my writing career until I turned 45. But I think it is about ready to take off.
V/r LionKing

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
I haven't seen Regulus talked about as a studious star before either, and the fixed stars are something I've been delving into for some time, and I doubt I've just missed that. Certainly Jupiter can be linked to astrology, but Regulus is all about the military stuff.

I have Regulus conjoined almost perfectly to my Mars, and maybe the Mars/Mars thing really brings it out in me (and the fact that it's in Mars's house of joy), but I definitely can understand the military honors. Unfortunately since I have no desire to join the military, it had to manifest itself in me as a martial artist. :) Good times beating up imaginary people.

natasa812

I have Regulus in conj. with my DC (2 degrees counts I think). If we take 3 degrees for conj. than it conj. my natal Moon. But if not, than it just conj. my DC. Does this means that all the glory goes to my husband?

natasa812

I have found it for the Moon, still searching for the Regulus DC conj.
Here it is for the Moon:

With Moon: Occult interests, powerful friends, danger from enemies and false friends, gain by speculation, public prominence, great power, honor, wealth, benefits seldom last, violence, trouble and sickness. Make women high spirited and independent. If at the same time the Sun is with the Dragon's Head in Gemini, or Jupiter is in the 10th house in trine to Mars and the Sun is with the Dragon's Head, great preferment even from the lowest sphere to high rank. [Robson*, p.196.]

No need to reply, sagittariously finding all the joy in participating...
Best regards
Natas

aquarius7000 said:
Where do you have REGULUS in your natal chart? If you do not yet know, the 'add fixed stars option' at astro.com could enlighten you on this.
"Like the other three Royal Stars, a person whose chart it affects can gain great success but only by facing a particular nemesis. For Regulus, this nemesis is revenge. You may gain a great deal of success in your chosen field but if you ever stoop to take revenge, then you loose power, position, and standing in the community.

Regulus indicates power and success and so is active in the charts of successful people. But the higher the star takes a person, the more they must guard against revenge...Always strong and hot in nature, this star will make its presence felt in a chart." [Brady's Book of Fixed Stars, Bernadette Brady, p.264]

i have mars conjunct Regulus (10'). it can also be read in conjunction with Phecda, another bloodthirsty star.

i feel the effects of Regulus rather strongly. mars is semisextile to uranus and trine to p.fortune. i started martial arts at age 13. was in army cadets through high school, and in the army reserves through university. i used to find myself in fights through school, and bar fights later on. i have always attracted martial teachers, ex-military who have taught me valuable lessons. even in my last job caring for old diggers in a nursing home, i formed close personal bonds and they shared some stories they had kept to themselves for a long time.

having regulus in the occult 8th house, i have found this position has led me to use the power of regulus in taking revenge, or even seeking out warfare in the psychic realm and by using astrology.

transiting pluto is trined regulus:

direct 25 january 2008
retrograde 15 june 2008
direct 26 november 2008

i was expecting that this transit would intensify my violent mars. however, when it peaked, i felt very relaxed, even peaceful. as pluto is transforming, and it was an harmonious aspect, it seems to have evolved my martial nature to a higher level. i haven't lost my spunkiness, but i don't seek fights so much, and don't react to intimidation in such an aggressive way.

my mars is also quincunx chiron, so maybe i am leaning more toward healing than wounding. this ties in nicely to the association of Regulus with Raphael, the healing archangel.

for the religious types awaiting the day of reckonning:

1: And I saw when the Lamb opened one of the seals, and I heard, as it were the noise of thunder, one of the four beasts saying, Come and see.
2: And I saw, and behold a white horse: and he that sat on him had a bow; and a crown was given unto him: and he went forth conquering, and to conquer.
3: And when he had opened the second seal, I heard the second beast say, Come and see.
4: And there went out another horse that was red: and power was given to him that sat thereon to take peace from the earth, and that they should kill one another: and there was given unto him a great sword.
5: And when he had opened the third seal, I heard the third beast say, Come and see. And I beheld, and lo a black horse; and he that sat on him had a pair of balances in his hand.
6: And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts say, A measure of wheat for a penny, and three measures of barley for a penny; and see thou hurt not the oil and the wine.
7: And when he had opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth beast say, Come and see.
8: And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.
[Bible, King James. Revelation, chapter 6]

large_4Horsemen.jpg

i believe the 4th horseman is Regulus, followed by his little mate Phecda.​

this list of historical events concerning Regulus is from Leo
  • Feb 13 1542, the fifth wife of England's King Henry the Eighth, Catherine Howard, was executed for adultery. - Uranus/Regulus
  • Feb 12 1554, Lady Jane Grey, who'd claimed the throne of England for nine days, was beheaded after being charged with treason. - Neptune /Regulus
  • Marie Antoinette guillotined, Oct 16th 1793 - Uranus/Regulus
  • May 5th 1980, Marshal Josip Broz Tito, president of Yugoslavia, died three days before his 88th birthday. Tito had kept Yugoslavia together, after his death, the country became divided due to racial violence. - Mars and Jupiter/Regulus
  • Lady Diana Spencer. Mother to the future King of England - NNode/Regulus
  • Rescue of Alexander of Selkirk (the real "Robinson Crusoe"), Feb 2 1709 - Pluto/Regulus
  • Oct 28th 1998 A granite sphinx with the head of Ptolemy XII, Cleopatra's father emerged from the waters of Alexandria harbor after 1,600 years under water - NNode occulting/Regulus
  • Order of the Legion of Honor created, May 19th 1802 - Jupiter/Regulus
  • Mar 25th 1957, the Treaty of Rome established the European Economic Community. - Pluto/Regulus
  • North Atlantic Treaty (NATO) signed at Washington, April 4 1949 - Saturn/Regulus
  • Feb 11th 1929, the Lateran Treaty was signed, with Italy recognizing the independence and sovereignty of Vatican City. - Neptune/Regulus

hello guys,

my true north node is 29'19 leo (mean is 29'54). i'm only 29 so my knowledge is limited but i consider myself in a boot camp. i didn't do military or anything like that, but life itself is a sort of army life to me. obey and shut up could be the motto i'm learning. not natural to an aqua sun widely squaring uranus (mercury square uranus by 4 degrees).

but i think that is the message of this star.

me0404

Re: REGULUS, the Regal --- PART OF FORTUNE CONJUNCT

Hello All,

I enjoyed reading about Regulus the fixed star conjunct planets, but I have my Part of Fortune almost directly on Regulus. What does this mean?

Curious if Part of fortune or other asteroids play a part with the fixed stars as well....

My sun is second away from being directly on Alpheratz - Andromeda is what it is typically called.

Ace

This is an interesting thread. I have been trying to a natal interpretation (keyword try LOL) and found that her Regulus is right on her North Node in the 12th house. Does this mean she has a talent or some kind of success in matters of that house (institutions, endings, sorrows, underdog...)? This chart also has both Jupiter and Mars in Virgo (both in the 12th).