Mercury and Mars Retrograde: The Underlying Question

PlanetWaves

Dear Friend and Reader:

Mars retrograde is about to make some interesting moves, among them, returning to Scorpio. And Aries, one of the home signs of Mars, has some enlightening activity going on, in particular the Uranus-Eris conjunction that will happen there on June 9, for the first time since 1928.

If you recall, Mars turned to retrograde motion in Sagittarius on April 17. The retrograde ends on June 29 in Scorpio, and along the way Mars has many stories to tell. Many people do as well, feeling the influence of this astrology, as the questions of Mars are emphasized by retrograde motion.
When you're trying to decipher a retrograde planet, especially an inner planet, think: a statement becomes a question. Something externally expressed becomes internally available. There is a review of the past.

There is the retrieval of something that was previously disowned or taken away. This is particularly true with retrograde natal planets, though it's an effective mode of interpreting retrograde transiting planets as well. Think of the retrograde as being about claiming something that is rightly your own. Imagnie it stands for a kind of soul retrieval, describing the element of your innate being that you are seeking by boldly diving into yourself.

Keep in mind that Mars is the planet of desire. Desire is one of those elements at the core of the human emotional engine. It's true that religions and spiritual philosophies line up one after the next attempting to prove to people that desire is the worst thing in the world. Yet nobody would seek being happier, or seek knowledge, or crack open a book about Buddhism, if they didn't want something.

The deeper question of Mars is what you do with the propulsion that it offers. Do you resist? Do you deny, or feel guilt? Do you let it run wild and therefore run your life? Do you harness its power and put it to work for you?

At the same time that we have Mars retrograde, Mercury is also retrograde. This is happening in Taurus, a sign associated with desire, so it's asking a similar set of questions, which I'll come back to once I've laid out a picture of what I think Mars is describing.

[deleted link to site with explicit sexual images- Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

noraleader

Banned
planetwaves.. planetwaves.. i'm thinking radio syndication iirc..

funny thing about desire.. especially in commercially enterprising culture, we are certain that we want things.. everybody wants things.. that's what we do.. the concept of not wanting things is quite alien. like jainism, 8th most populous faith in the world, completely unknown in commercial cultures.

how many of our "objectives" are formed purely from adversion? eg. "career goals.." it seems to me that most of the alleged "career goals" i've heard people discuss in this lifetime are formulated purely by adversion.. "i'd rather do a desk job than labour" "i'd rather work indoors than outdoors" so people become accountants, and monty python do that sketch about pirates. hands up how many people would rather be space lords or explorers of the unknown. consider how deep and extensive cultural corroboration is in motive, one has cause to wonder. and perhaps that's the point. anyway, my chatter. you were making a rhetorical point, not debating buddhism.

excited to read and see what i can learn, glean from one so practiced! *tiphat* thank you, i'd not thought about mars retro in this way, and it's personally insightful, thank you!

CapAquaPis

Mars has increased in magnitude in the night sky lately currently in Scorpio and this is serious whenever Mars lies in Scorpio. I never knew it's in retrograde until now, but Mercury transit the Sun in Gemini (or astronomical Taurus). A horary chart of May 9th can tell us more details: Mars (conjunct Saturn) and Mercury retrograde at the same time.

Attachments

• astro_w2at_01_sunmercury_conjunction.18146.29136.gif
    astro_w2at_01_sunmercury_conjunction.18146.29136.gif
    58.4 KB · Views: 26